CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Aaron Herzog

Profile:
Good Minimalist Shoe for Concrete Running?

Does any have a recommendation for a good running shoe with a small heel to toe drop but maintains a small amount cushion?

Back story: I had a compression fracture in my foot about 5 months ago and now I find that if I run on concrete in my vibrams my foot aches in the spot I broke it. I'm thinking that just a small additional amount of padding may help, because I notice that if I go on long walks (on concrete) in my vibrams the same spot in my foot aches, but it never aches when I'm walking around in more padded shoe (usually sanuks).

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Nick Curren

Profile:
Re: Good Minimalist Shoe for Concrete Running?

I like my NB minimus MT10s for running on concrete because there's a bit more padding than my VFF but still retain a minimalist feel. I have no experience with them but you may want to look at Invo8 230s, they're suppose to have more padding but are still "minimal."
Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Joey Allen

Profile:

I love my New Balance Minimus Road Zeros. I used Bikilas for 1.5 years and now exclusively use the Road Zeros for running and working out. It's nice to at least have a tiny bit of padding now.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Andy Kauth

Profile:

I wore INOV-8 220s for a bit, but, despite their made for concrete soles, they didn't even last 9 months (the white part above the gum-colored sole looked like a dog got ahold of it, which was not the case)... and I didn't run more than a few miles a week in them.

Switched to NBs based upon my brother's recommendation (he runs a few miles a day), and love them--won't run in anything else if I can help it:
http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/...K&style=MR10BK (WFS)

Get 'em while they last ... MR10s rule, and you can get 'em cheap at the link above.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
David Kiesling

Profile:

You can't get cheaper than Feiyues. Not possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Claw-Wus.../dp/B0000CDBSD
(WFS)

The outsole is this soft rubber that wears down pretty quickly but is super comfortable and lightweight. I wear 44 in FiveFingers, and the 46 in Feiyues is just right.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kiesling View Post
You can't get cheaper than Feiyues. Not possible.

http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Claw-Wus.../dp/B0000CDBSD
(WFS)

The outsole is this soft rubber that wears down pretty quickly but is super comfortable and lightweight. I wear 44 in FiveFingers, and the 46 in Feiyues is just right.
im sorry man, but after those pictures on the Amazon link i just cant take them seriously
Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Hoku Kinzie

Profile:

The Merrell Bare Access 2 is nice because it has a 0mm heel drop with 8mm of cushion and the NB Minimus 10v2 is nice as well with a 4mm heel drop and good traction and cushioning!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Jason Spradlin

Profile:

I use the Merrill Road Glove. More comfortable the the Minimus's to me and I've been a long time New Balance wearer. I've ran as much as a 10k in them with no issues.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Ben McDonald

Profile:

It really depends on how much cushion you need. There are some fairly cushioned zero drops, but the stack height may be prohibitive if you are used to a lower-profile shoe like inov-8s or MT10s for wods. The obvious trade off is more cushioning, but you may feel like you are walking on stilts. The Saucony Virrata is zero drop but has a stack height of 17mm. Both of the new Mizuno Evo's, the Cursoris and Levitas, are zero drop with 18mm and 15mm stack heights, and they have a trail version, the Ferus, coming in mid summer. Another option is the Brooks PureDrift, which has a 4mm drop but becomes zero drop when you remove the insole; it has a stack height of 12mm and is a pretty great shoe though the upper can have some rough spots around the toe box for wider feet.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
Jon Hanover

Profile:

I wear the f-lite 195's, but i'd go a step up in padding if you need the extra cushion. My feet always need to get used to the lack of padding and different running style every year. That being said, I do a lot of barefoot activities/training