CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Aaron Abke

Profile:
Help on my snatch form please!

I'm about 6 months into Crossfit and I'm crazy addicted. I signed up for the open just to see where I stack up. But after sucking it up on 13.1 (127), I saw how badly I had been neglecting my snatches, which is one of the major CF movements. I'm positive my form needs some work but I'm not sure what. Any of you snatch pro's out there, please give as much input as you want on whatever jumps out at you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS4Lv...ature=youtu.be

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Help on my snatch form please!

How wide do you grip the bar? Can't tell from the angle in the video but it looks like the bar is hitting you lower-thigh - for a snatch it should be hitting in your hip crease. You definitely need to widen your grip. This is an issue because what you are doing will either force the bar farther from your body, or force you to start bending and pulling with your arms entirely too early.

For a couple other things, first of all you should be taking a big breath to set your core before starting the lift, and secondly I would recommend doing full snatches to learn technique. If you have the full snatch, you probably can do a competent power snatch. That's not necessarily true vice-versa. If this is a video directly from a 13.1 video, power snatching is understandable, but it's also not nearly the best way to represent what your technique actually is.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Aaron Abke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
How wide do you grip the bar? Can't tell from the angle in the video but it looks like the bar is hitting you lower-thigh - for a snatch it should be hitting in your hip crease. You definitely need to widen your grip. This is an issue because what you are doing will either force the bar farther from your body, or force you to start bending and pulling with your arms entirely too early.

For a couple other things, first of all you should be taking a big breath to set your core before starting the lift, and secondly I would recommend doing full snatches to learn technique. If you have the full snatch, you probably can do a competent power snatch. That's not necessarily true vice-versa. If this is a video directly from a 13.1 video, power snatching is understandable, but it's also not nearly the best way to represent what your technique actually is.
Great advice, I wasn't thinking at all about the arm bend problem with narrow grip. I put my hands about 2-3 inches away from the edge of the bar. As you can tell, my arms are pretty long for my body. My wingspan is 2 inches longer than I am tall. (73 inches tall, 75 inch wing span). So do you think I should go all the way to the edges of the bar?

Also, I can do squat snatch with very light weight, but my technique on those are even worse. I figured mastering the power snatch first would be better, so I get the basics down of the 3 pulls and all of that. I will start working on my squat snatch more too and post a video here in a few weeks for some more input.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Well, I'm 74" with a 79" wingspan, I place my hands something like half an inch away from the collars. The easy way to see where you should grip is to stand erect and hold the bar at your hip crease and slide your hands out to where your arms are straight. That way when you reach full extension the bar will just brush the hip crease, provided you are not pulling early.

Speaking of pulling early, in my opinion working power snatch before full snatch encourages that, since you are trying to get the bar up higher than your natural 3 pulls would allow you. It also encourages "starfishing" (leg sprawl) and pressing out at heavier weights, two pretty bad habits in the snatch. I'm not saying power snatch isn't useful, or that you have any of those attributes on the two reps you've posted, just that the full snatch pretty much negates at least the starfishing and the pressing out. It's just a general piece of advice for learning the lifts.

That said, take my advice with a grain of salt, I am only a 175# full snatch right now. Still learning myself!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Your hips shoot up early, and the bar is going way out in front of you. Hang practice is good to keep the bar traveling in a vertical line
Old 03-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Aaron Abke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Your hips shoot up early, and the bar is going way out in front of you. Hang practice is good to keep the bar traveling in a vertical line
Good input. When should my hips be shooting up? And are you saying I should be practicing with hang snatches?
Old 03-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
Aaron Abke

Profile:

Quote:
Well, I'm 74" with a 79" wingspan, I place my hands something like half an inch away from the collars. The easy way to see where you should grip is to stand erect and hold the bar at your hip crease and slide your hands out to where your arms are straight. That way when you reach full extension the bar will just brush the hip crease, provided you are not pulling early.

Speaking of pulling early, in my opinion working power snatch before full snatch encourages that, since you are trying to get the bar up higher than your natural 3 pulls would allow you. It also encourages "starfishing" (leg sprawl) and pressing out at heavier weights, two pretty bad habits in the snatch. I'm not saying power snatch isn't useful, or that you have any of those attributes on the two reps you've posted, just that the full snatch pretty much negates at least the starfishing and the pressing out. It's just a general piece of advice for learning the lifts.

That said, take my advice with a grain of salt, I am only a 175# full snatch right now. Still learning myself!
Hey 175# full squat snatch is better than most Crossfitters! Also, if I am pulling early, I'm assuming that means the 2nd pull? When is the correct time to make that second pull? Is it supposed to be once my knees are locked out straight?

Also, I've tried the "bar at the hip crease" thing, and even with my hands at the collars it's still a tad below my hip crease. I think I'll just do what you do and stick with the half-inch away grip.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Well, I wasn't trying to say you are pulling early, just that it is something to watch for. And by "pulling" I meant pulling with your arms, not any of the 3 snatch pulls. Now I'm confusing myself! Have you watched the Cal Strength progression videos? They are really good at breaking down each pull from high hang (3rd pull) to low hang (2nd pull) to ground (first pull).

And that's about all you can do with the grip width. Can't make the bar any longer so just have to make do.

Another thing I see is - and this goes back to what Eric mentioned as well as the grip width - is that you are not getting to full hip extension. The screenshot I've posted here shows where you are cutting off that 2nd pull early.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	12000  
Old 03-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Widen your hands out like Jeff said... and be more patient. You should try to stay "over" the bar longer - basically you should have your shoulders in front of the bar until it is in your pockets. With someone you're height that is pretty vital.

And reiterating the fact that you should practice full snatches.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Aaron Abke

Profile:

Quote:
Well, I wasn't trying to say you are pulling early, just that it is something to watch for. And by "pulling" I meant pulling with your arms, not any of the 3 snatch pulls. Now I'm confusing myself! Have you watched the Cal Strength progression videos? They are really good at breaking down each pull from high hang (3rd pull) to low hang (2nd pull) to ground (first pull).

And that's about all you can do with the grip width. Can't make the bar any longer so just have to make do.

Another thing I see is - and this goes back to what Eric mentioned as well as the grip width - is that you are not getting to full hip extension. The screenshot I've posted here shows where you are cutting off that 2nd pull early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Widen your hands out like Jeff said... and be more patient. You should try to stay "over" the bar longer - basically you should have your shoulders in front of the bar until it is in your pockets. With someone you're height that is pretty vital.

And reiterating the fact that you should practice full snatches.

Thank you guys for all the advice, that helps me a ton in knowing what to work on. I'm definitely going to check out the cal strength progression videos. The screen shot was also helpful. Full hip extension is probably crucial for lifting more weight. I definitely need to work on my full snatch. I think its probably the most technically difficult movement in all of crossfit though, so it will take a while to get those down!