CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Michael Ryan James

Profile:
Jump Rope Woes

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forums! First a bit of background before I get straight to my question. I've been doing crossfit for about one year. Some of that was in a buddy's back yard, some in a traditional gym, and for the last 3 months at the newest affiliate in our town. My buddies started it up and I've been with them since the very beginning. I love crossfit, and it's wicked hard sometimes, but it has helped me lose 40 pounds, and I'm very grateful for that.

On to the jump rope. I'm 31 years old and a larger athlete. I'm 6'4" 242 pounds. I was getting stalled out on DU's due to the ropes I had to choose from being to short. The Ultra ropes that both Rogue and Again Faster sell, seem to be just a bit to short. I also purchased a Rogue SR-1 rope that I liked very much, but again, just to short. Then I purchased a RX rope. I had it custom built to 10'4". I got the second thickest cable to allow me to build up my DU's. I've trained with this rope almost daily since about march. I'm consistently at 35-40 DU's unbroken and sometimes those numbers are in the middle of an EMOM that I've programmed for myself to get better at DUs. I seem to notice the rope hitting a little to far in front of my feet, which makes me think the rope is just a bit to long. Also, I think it's time to graduate to a thinner/faster cable. Is there anyone out there who sells ropes that are longer than 10 feet, but still adjustable? I'd rather not drop 40$ on a second RX jump rope. Plus the handles on the RX ropes are a bit weighty and may contribute to fatigue. It seems that 10'2" may be exactly what I need, but It's a little tough to just guess that from using my current rope. Any help would be appreciated. I know I may never be a DU all-star doing 100+ unbroken...but I'm going to try. Sorry for the lengthy post, I figured the more info I could give, the better chance someone might have a helpful solution. Take Care
Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
Joshua Foladare

Profile:
Re: Jump Rope Woes

You can purchase replacement ropes from RX for 8 bucks (http://rxsmartgear.com/replacement-parts/ WFS) and that will give you a chance to get a lighter rope at the correct length.

Outside of that I would say try a google search and see what comes up.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Michael Ryan James

Profile:

I haven't looked on the website but are the replacement cables pretty easy to install/replace? that look like a very good idea. Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

You could also buy an ultra speed rope (or just the handles) and go to Home depot and buy aircraft cable for the actual rope. Get as long as you want and it's only about $1 per replacement. I love mine. Really fast and smooth, doesn't curl up like some coated ropes.

For thickness, I use the 1/16" but if you are still learning, you could go a bit thicker.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Andy Kauth

Profile:

The hi-temp folks'll hook you up: http://www.hitemp.biz/ (WFS)--you can't order their ropes on-line but you can call or e-mail ... they come in two lengths and two thicknesses and are VERY easily customized. My favorite rope to date and have literally tried them all (except the new one from Rogue). American made and a smart design. Find 'em on facebook too ...
Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:

The Rx replacement ropes are pretty easy to replace. They just slide onto the small rings that the current rope is attached to. The only thing I can say is that they are a bit tough to keep open while sliding the rope on because they are like tiny key rings.

But for $7-8 you can experiment with lengths and thicknesses all you like. If you are stringing together 40 unbroken there is no reason you cant go all the way down to thinnest they have or the second thinnest.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Brian Burns

Profile:

The hardest part about the RX replacement ropes is removing the larger diameter cable. Once you have that off it's gravy getting the smaller one on. For your SR1 Rogue does sell 11' replacement cables as well.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Molly Metz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ryan James View Post
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forums! First a bit of background before I get straight to my question. I've been doing crossfit for about one year. Some of that was in a buddy's back yard, some in a traditional gym, and for the last 3 months at the newest affiliate in our town. My buddies started it up and I've been with them since the very beginning. I love crossfit, and it's wicked hard sometimes, but it has helped me lose 40 pounds, and I'm very grateful for that.

On to the jump rope. I'm 31 years old and a larger athlete. I'm 6'4" 242 pounds. I was getting stalled out on DU's due to the ropes I had to choose from being to short. The Ultra ropes that both Rogue and Again Faster sell, seem to be just a bit to short. I also purchased a Rogue SR-1 rope that I liked very much, but again, just to short. Then I purchased a RX rope. I had it custom built to 10'4". I got the second thickest cable to allow me to build up my DU's. I've trained with this rope almost daily since about march. I'm consistently at 35-40 DU's unbroken and sometimes those numbers are in the middle of an EMOM that I've programmed for myself to get better at DUs. I seem to notice the rope hitting a little to far in front of my feet, which makes me think the rope is just a bit to long. Also, I think it's time to graduate to a thinner/faster cable. Is there anyone out there who sells ropes that are longer than 10 feet, but still adjustable? I'd rather not drop 40$ on a second RX jump rope. Plus the handles on the RX ropes are a bit weighty and may contribute to fatigue. It seems that 10'2" may be exactly what I need, but It's a little tough to just guess that from using my current rope. Any help would be appreciated. I know I may never be a DU all-star doing 100+ unbroken...but I'm going to try. Sorry for the lengthy post, I figured the more info I could give, the better chance someone might have a helpful solution. Take Care

Try www.jumpNrope.com , the R-1 speed rope might be a good fit for you. (blue coated wire) All the ropes come with 11ft cuts of wire and an additional cut for when you need to replace it, as well as extra hardward, and a one-year warranty on the handles. Also the R-2 trainer is a great rope to tranisition to if you were just using the thickest cable that RX provides.

Send me an email, I would love to talk more to you about your progression and what to expect for your next steps. jumpNrope@gmail.com
Old 09-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Robert Abitia

Profile:

From what I understand, RX Ropes will allow you to return and exchange the length of rope if it's not correct. They really take pride in getting you the right fit. If you ever have the chance to catch them at an event or to go to one of their clinics they will give you a lot of information on your rope/technique/ect.

I'm sure that other companies are just as good in their customer service, but I have had great experiences with RX in the past and can vouch for them.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
Michael Ryan James

Profile:

Do the weight of the RX handles pose a potential problem? They seem to be much heavier than ultra ropes, but that may just be the thickness I'm noticing.