CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
Adrian Takac

Profile:
5/3/1 + assistance work

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, so just a brief introduction before I get to the point :
I'm Adrian, 22 from Slovakia, been training for 1,5year (but not hard enough lol).

I know there's a lot written about it, but everyone is different so given these stats :

6,2"
196 lbs

1RMs
BP - 265lbs
DL-374 lbs
SQ-385lbs

I want to start 5/3/1 mixed with metcons, so I'm wondering how much assistance work I'm allowed per week. General idea was 3 days of strength work, 2 days of metcons, 2 days rest. Do you guys think having only 2 rest days per week would inhibit strength gains?

Supplement and nutrition-wise, I wanna keep proteins and healthy fats high + carbs lowerish(still wannt to lean out a bit while increasing strength-stupid?)

I should have no probelm getting in 1g of proteins per lb/BW. I take in BCAA's, fish oil, minerals, C vitamin.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post. Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Richard Colon

Profile:
Re: 5/3/1 + assistance work

Yo Adrian!
(sorry had to give the Rocky reference there)

More than just the stats, what are your goals? More specifically than...do 5/3/1 and Metcons and more than just "get strong and be better at Chipper WoDs".

Anyhow, that aside, here is what I would suggest and why.

Do the assistance on each Strength Day. That means you will do assistance work 3x per week. Follow the suggestions (of movements that pair well with the compound movement) and do perhaps only 1 assistance exercise per Strength Day. I would not do any of the 'big and simple' assistance ones, which are those like 5x10 Deadlifts at a lower percentage, done on your Deadlift day. This is because that high of reps as assistance might start to get to be a bit much when combined with typical high rep stuff that metcons will bring.

I think 1 assistance exercise, for a total of 3 per week, done on Strength days is fine because 1, you are separating your Strength and Metcon days (as opposed to doing Strength (main lift) + assistance + metcon 5 mins later. The 2nd reason is; at least early on, you are only using 90% of your true max. Combine that with the fact that the 1st few weeks are your lightest loads, at %s somewhere around 65, 75 and 85%, and I don't think the main lift will take enough out of you to not allow for assistance work following. I already said I don't think the metcons will interfere with assistance because they are done on separate days (if you stay away from the high rep assistance work as mentioned).

When it is time to rest, rest. Don't do metcons. Take a rest from it all, not just the 5/3/1. Also, on your deload week, I would recommend not doing metcons either (that entire week). If you do, maybe take the deload lifts at low %s (40/50/60 ?) and just turn it into a bodyweight style metcon or light weight metcon.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
John McNight

Profile:

If you do 5/3/1 3x/week and metcons on 2 off days when how do you recover from that?

The same problem can be said about mixing metcons with the strength/assistance lift.

In Jim Wendlers second edition he has a chapter on how to mix metcons with 5/3/1. In general you do the strength lift, 1 assistance lift then a "circuit" that compliments the strength and assistance lift (basically use exercises that exercise the same muscle groups).
Old 08-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Adrian Takac

Profile:

Hey all,

thanks for the replies. My general goal is to increase my strength in the whole rep range (5-3-1). Basically getting stronger while improving my overall fitness level.

OK so let's see what options I have :

1. If I do 5/3/1 lifts 3x a week following ABC DAB ... template, and do assistance work on lift days as well, 1 have one more day for a strength biased metcon and 3 rest days per week. Or, I could do 3 shorter metcons (focused on already ''employed'' muscle groups on that particular day) after main lifts and assistance work, which would give me 4 days of rest.

2. Or I could go for 4 main lift days+assistance work/week with 3 rest days. I think it would be an overkill to do metcons on each lift day, so maybe I could sneak in 1-2 strength biased metcons after main lifts and assistance work.

I like option 2 better I think. 4 rest days a week is just too much for me as I think I regenerate quite well and just wouldn't be able to stay away from the gym so much.

I'm very open to ideas, if you know of a good template worth following, please share it
Old 08-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I vote 10min or less metcons on those employed muscle groups.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
John McNight

Profile:

Here is how I would like to combine the two (if my box will allow):

3 full body WO's + Metcons per week:

A) Deadlift 5/3/1, OHP 5/3/1
Assistance: Pulldowns (or some varation)
Metcon

B) Bench 5/3/1
Assistance: Row (or some varation), Lower body assistance (split squat, front squat, RDL etc..)
Metcon

C) Squat 5/3/1
Assistance: Rear delts, traps (maybe) or chest/delt assistance lift
metcon

Since metcons often are full body, making your strength work full body you don't have to worry about what you do today messing with what you have planned tomorrow. You are estentially doing 3 full body WO's per week and allowing 4 days recovery. To me this seems like it would balance recovery better then doing metcons on off days.

Last edited by John McNight : 08-29-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
John McNight

Profile:

Another option would be 2 full body days plus 1-2 metcon days:

Assistance: 1 lower body, 1-2- upper body

B) Squat 5/3/1, Bench 5/3/1
Assistance: 1-2 lower body, 1 upper body

Depending on recovery 1-2 days per week can be metcons.

My last option would be if you weren't trying to improve but just maintain strength:

2 week rotation

Week 1:
A) OHP 5/3/1, plus an assistance lift plus short metcon.
B) DL 5/3/1 + an assuitance lift plus short metcon

Week 2:
C)Bench 5/3/1 + assistance lifts
D) Squat 5/3/1 + assistance lifts

This option would allow you to do short metcons after strength days plus leave 1-2 days per week for longer metcons. This wouldn't be optimal if you are trying to build strength due to the frequency (every other week), but would allow you to nail more metcons while maintaining strength.

Last edited by John McNight : 08-29-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
Adrian Takac

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McNight View Post
Another option would be 2 full body days plus 1-2 metcon days:

Depending on recovery 1-2 days per week can be metcons.

My last option would be if you weren't trying to improve but just maintain strength:

2 week rotation

Week 1:
A) OHP 5/3/1, plus an assistance lift plus short metcon.
B) DL 5/3/1 + an assuitance lift plus short metcon

Week 2:
C)Bench 5/3/1 + assistance lifts
D) Squat 5/3/1 + assistance lifts

This option would allow you to do short metcons after strength days plus leave 1-2 days per week for longer metcons. This wouldn't be optimal if you are trying to build strength due to the frequency (every other week), but would allow you to nail more metcons while maintaining strength.
Hey John,

thanks for your replies. I really like this template :

"A) Deadlift 5/3/1, OHP 5/3/1

Depending on recovery 1-2 days per week can be metcons."

I think I'll stick to this one. I will be be definitely doing 2 metcons per week.
Before this I was doing upper/lower body split so full body workouts will be a good change.

I appreciate your advice help
Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Remember to start at 10 percent of your max lifts.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Thompson View Post
Remember to start at 90 percent of your max lifts.
Fixed.

I know what you were trying to say, though