CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Mason Gwinn

Profile:
Oly/Strength Training Question

I have been CrossFitting for a little while now. I have definitely gotten stronger, but recently I have been focusing on Oly lifts in hopes of competing somewhere down the line. I don't want to only train Oly lifts, as my metcons and strength training need work as well. I would also like to gain some weight, as I'm only 165lbs at 6 foot. Does anyone have any suggestions on an overall rounded routine to help strength gain, metcon gain, weight gain, that's biased to Oly lifts?

I've been doing something like:

Monday- Heavy Clean and Jerks
Light Snatches
Front Squats
Metcon

Wednesday- Bodybuilding type stuff (Bench press, pull ups, dips, curls)
Metcon
Skill work

Friday- Heavy Snatches
Light Clean and Jerks
Back Squats
Deadlift 1x5
Metcon

This probably isn't the best way to go about it, so any suggestions would be great.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Jordan Derksen

Profile:
Re: Oly/Strength Training Question

Sounds like a job for Outlaw.

outlawcoach.wordpress.com (WFS)

No need to drop back a cycle or anything. Start tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Here's a good read for you:

70's Big - Transitioning to Olympic Weightlifting (Not completely WFS; shirtless guy snatching and probably cursing).

This plan does NOT involve conditioning. If you want some met-cons with this, you might have to dial down the volume a little and keep the met-cons shorter. Even if you don't follow the plan, there is some good info in the post.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Gwinn View Post
I have been focusing on Oly lifts
Quote:
I don't want to only train Oly lifts
Quote:
my metcons and strength training need work
Quote:
I would also like to gain some weight
Quote:
help strength gain
Quote:
metcon gain
Quote:
weight gain
Quote:
biased to Oly lifts?
Sounds to me like an awful lot of stuff that will lead to the "you can't ride 2 horses with 1 a$$" sort of situation. Dude, what do you want to do? Try cycles. Don't dismiss other stuff entirely but give yourself a 6 week bulking phase. Hypertrophy (muscle gain), strength and some weight gain - above all else. Then go from there. Or go with metabolic work, gymnastic skill and being lean and efficient. If you get strength increases then great, if not as much...so be it. Choose 1 thing though.

Rudy is a genius with programming and I stand behind Outlaw (never done it but reading it and with my skill of breaking down programs, I know its legit) however remember one thing. The wordpress blog, as far as I know, is designed for some pretty advanced athletes already. I don't believe you have a lot of business doing all of the advanced Olympic lift variations (tall cleans, 3 position snatches, snatch grip deads, snatch balance, power snatch from blocks, etc) when you have a 115lb overhead squat and a Front Squat that is barely above 200 lbs. That is why I see a program like the stuff at Catalyst Athletics (everett stuff) and there are different training cycles. Some of them have heavy Back Squat and Front Squat work with simple O-lifts like...dare I say it - the Clean & Jerk and Snatch ONLY (no crazy specific variations). This is because you need leg strength first.

The point, maybe give the Outlaw programming a shot but assume you have a decent base level to begin with, otherwise I don't know how well it will work because of lack of consistency. Can you keep up with it? At 6ft, 165, I'm guessing you are not strong enough for it. If not, then your metcon better be ridiculous. Otherwise, start a bit simpler and that begins with picking one thing and hitting that full speed ahead.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Ben Orga

Profile:

I second The Outlaw Way. Follow it today.

Don't worry about conditioning if your goal is strength. It will be back sooner than strength. Focus on getting stronger. Conditioning can be back in as few as 2 weeks if you train properly.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Curt Garner

Profile:

And if Outlaw Way is too much for you, you could start with Rudy's standard crossfit workouts. They also incorporate lots of oly and strength work. http://outlawcrossfit.com/ (W/FS)
Old 08-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
I don't believe you have a lot of business doing all of the advanced Olympic lift variations
They aren't really advanced, IMO. If anything they are done to focus on weaknesses in a lifter's lifts. This is something the Chinese use a lot in their programming (which isn't really Bulgarian or Russian but this, that, and the other).

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on an overall rounded routine to help strength gain, metcon gain, weight gain, that's biased to Oly lifts?
Catalyst Athletics / Performance Menu / Greg Everett's or Outlaw. It sort of depends on how much you want to get better at Metcon. More, go with Outlaw, less go with the prior.