CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Overreaching and CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
what i was trying to ask is how long it would take to establish a new baseline for volume/intensity.

Example: for a week or two i was sore and a little beat up every day from upping my volume but after that I started feeling 100% recovered again. Then i added some more extra stuff (sleds and band work) to my program after feeling like i had a new baseline and since then I've been adapting to the increased workload without feeling any more stressed physically.

Im wondering if i actually establish a new baseline in this instance or if i just started training to the potential that i could have already handled but just hadn't been.
I would say more of the latter than the former.

A very important point to consider is how much volume one can benefit from, not just tolerate.

Volume is highly correlated with intensity, so adding volume for the sake of volume as part of your "normal" routine can be problematic.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Miller View Post
Chris - would you suggest ramping up the volume over the course of 3-4 weeks? Or, just increase the volume and maintain it over 3-4 weeks?

Also, during the recovery period should you maintain some intensity but at greatly reduced volume? Or, should you reduce intensity as well a volume?
I would jump right to the volume - no ramping. You must dramatically decrease the intensity during the break. You can go so far as no training at all.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

From experience I can say this totally worked for me.

This spring up to regionals this is what Rudy did for Outlaw. Before regionals there was extra work, just an extra metcon, starting I think 4 weeks out. The first week it was 2, then the rest it was 2 or 3 depending on normal programming volume. I followed this to a T but what ended up happening is our Regional was right during finals at University so the last week before regionals I only made it to the gym 2 or 3 times and I didn't do Outlaw WODs, I just jumped in with my affiliate which programs way lighter and easier workouts than I'm used to. I was at regionals on the team so I couldn't fully test how I felt because we got disqualified after the 3rd workout, but I've never felt so prepared for a competition ever. I was hungry and when I got on the floor I felt good. Really good. Everything was on for me.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #14
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Is the thinking here relating to strength, conditioning or both?

i.e. would a trainee double lifts AND metcons for 4 weeks? and would doubling the amount of prowler and sprinting work have a similar effect to doubling, say bodyweight WODs?

I think it's an interesting thought. But what are the implications of overdoing it, would it be advisable to plough on regardless of feeling beat down? Or rather, how beat down should you be before you stop??
Old 08-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #15
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Can this also happen to a lesser extent when taking a break of a 3-5 days from normal volumes?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #16
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
Can this also happen to a lesser extent when taking a break of a 3-5 days from normal volumes?
That would depend upon the state of your body from your normal training routine. In other words, if you are not at the very least pushing, or exceeding the recovery envelope you will not see much of anything.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
Brad Gutting

Profile:

It's not quite the same as CF WODs, but when I was doing more competitive rowing, for three weeks prior to a big regatta I'd do something along these lines--numbers in parenthesis is my target HR--as a form of supercompensation for 2 weeks:

Monday:
3x8min/5 @ 90% VO2max (190)
Weights

Tuesday:
3x1000m/15 @ 125% VO2max (200)
2x10min/5 @ 80% (176)

Wednesday:
3x8min/5 @ 90% VO2max (190)
2x10min/8 (45/15 ; 130%/30%)

Thursday:
3x2min/15 @ 130% VO2max (200)

Friday:
2x7min/5 @ 80% VO2max (176)
60min

Saturday:
2x2 @ 135% VO2max (200)
3x7 @ 85% VO2max

Sunday:
starts
40min

That may not look like anything, but give it a shot on the erg and let me know how it works out for you. It's essentially a lot of high-intensity intervals, with barely enough rest. The net result, and pretty quickly, is exhaustion. I'd then take 5-7 days of doing limited amounts of easy (65% maxHR) sessions and go into the race weekend strong.

I found it was better to do recovery/regenerative sessions than nothing at all.

I found it impossible to do this more than twice in a six month span. The RPE when correlated with working HR demonstrated that something was off if I didn't recover properly. Not only did I feel weakened, I performed worse when trying to keep this schedule constantly.

I have a pretty big base established and would go into this with a VO2max around 68ml/kg. However, I didn't test that figure afterward due to racing.

So, like I said, this doesn't directly relate to what you're talking about, but you're posing an interesting idea and I wanted to recite some of my experiences. I think if you've got a big strength base, you'll probably see better results--just because your muscles can handle the WOD volume, if nothing else. It's worth a shot.

In my case, I couldn't do three weeks. At the end of 14 days of this stuff, I really needed the rest.