CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
John C Corona

Profile:
Re: Small guy looking for some comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Ruehle View Post
What do you mean that they stick inside of you?
They will constipate you. This obviously depends on the rest of your diet, and the amount of fiber you consume. If your eating plenty of vegetables with your meals, then its hardly an issue. When I get lost with a spoon and the jar of peanut butter, it tends to upset my regularity. Bottom line, eat your veggies, they are neccessary for numerous reasons.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Bradley Ruehle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Corona View Post
They will constipate you. This obviously depends on the rest of your diet, and the amount of fiber you consume. If your eating plenty of vegetables with your meals, then its hardly an issue. When I get lost with a spoon and the jar of peanut butter, it tends to upset my regularity. Bottom line, eat your veggies, they are neccessary for numerous reasons.

Hahaha, well I've yet to have that problem so hopefully that means I get enough fruit and veggies
Old 08-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Bradley Ruehle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Wintczak View Post
Although I'm a bit heavier than you guys I still consider myself a "smaller" guy. Here's where I'm at now for reference:

Squat- 370
Deadlift- 425
Clean- 250
Snatch- 175
Press- 175
Bench- 225
Strict PU's- 30

Peanut Butter=Awesome

I eat 1-2lbs of PB a week. Love it, I also drink milk. Though not in huge quantities.

At 20 years-old 6ft and 160'ish, you've got lots of room to put on size and strength without compromising your numbers on bodyweight exercises. As Blair mentioned start working on your Oly lifts. The Snatch and C&J are extremely form intensive especially as the weights increase. I seem to remember the average numbers for the top 10 finishers in each region was something like a 300lbs C&J and a 225lbs Snatch. Getting your DL, Squat, Press numbers up is usually much easier than making large gains in the Oly lifts.

With consistent training my numbers go up relatively quickly when I program my own workouts. Since I've started outlaw I haven't maxed out but I just feel stronger on all my lifts and the % work is becoming easier and easier for all the major lifts so in a couple months I'm hoping I can add 25-50 lbs to my major lifts. Especially because I've never consistently trained my legs with high intensity before, I know its bad but I always lost focus after awhile. With the open in 2013 that gives me a competition where I can see where I stand compared to everyone. I know I won't qualify but it'll motivate to do well for the open to make sure I can at least put in a good showing.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Bradley, something I found common with some swimmers is less than optimal shoulder flexibility. Well for gymnastics at least (since I used to be/am a gymnastics coach). Probably has to do with the ROM and the fact that it works the internal rotators so much. So I have heard.

John, you might be able to get to Regionals but more than likely you are correct about being "competitive" at regionals with those numbers. Sounds like you have some decent numbers.

Dustin, some nice numbers like 30 strict pullups. I would agree with you that it's easier to bump up your strength lift numbers than your Olympic Lift numbers.

Multiple sessions a day sounds interesting but it's such a pain to implement, IMO. If you have the time and means, do it. I guess in a way, sometimes I could fit 2 or 3 sessions a day last year (lift in the morning/afternoon and do gymnastics at night or lift after gymnastics besides doing other training in the morning/afternoon).
Old 08-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
John C Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Bradley, something I found common with some swimmers is less than optimal shoulder flexibility. Well for gymnastics at least (since I used to be/am a gymnastics coach). Probably has to do with the ROM and the fact that it works the internal rotators so much. So I have heard.

John, you might be able to get to Regionals but more than likely you are correct about being "competitive" at regionals with those numbers. Sounds like you have some decent numbers.
My numbers I have been working on solely for almost a year now. In the meantime, my metcons have suffered. Though I thank you for the compliment, I did not do well (to me) in the open...mostly cause my engine (I needed air, needed air...badly) Which brings me back to mentoring Bradley.

2 things that might happen to you cause your training yourself.
1) You will pick and choose your metcons to your liking. Its just fact. Might not happen for a while, but you will get into a groove, where such n such sux, I'll do that 'later'. So do as I say, and not as I do. I did mainsite for 3 or 4 years before I decided to go strictly Oly, so just cause I wanted to specialize doesnt mean that'll get you to the games, in fact, it wil hold you back. Fronin Jr engine is unbelievable for them longer metcons. He's good at everything!
2) Your Oly technique most likely sucks. No big deal, we all suck. We work daily at not sucking. You can watch videos, then go practice, then more videos, more practice, etc... I did this at a globo for 6 months. Then I joined an affiliate, and had a 115lb female trainer teaching me Clean & Jerks. It was humbling and beautiful at the same time. Then I did a seminar, then more practice, more vids, then another seminar, etc. My point is, you MUST get decent coaching if you feel you want to be competitve. The sooner the better. Here's the cool part, post your videos in the Digital Coaching section, and get free critiques till the cows come home.

...just more thoughts...

Last edited by John C Corona : 08-11-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
Tommy Santos

Profile:

65" 120#

Bs: 280
Bp: 215
Dl: 285
P: 130
Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Awesome numbers, Tommy!
Old 08-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
Tommy Santos

Profile:

Thanks Blair! I just added 1 can/day of full fat coconut milk. Hopefully the added calories will help me gain some weight and mass. Haha.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Ruehle View Post
A little about me:

So I've been doing crossfit religiously for a couple weeks now and have been lifting weights for a couple years before doing this. I'm 20 years old, weigh 158 and am close to 6 ft tall. A week and a half ago I got my wisdom teeth out and lost close to 7 lbs because I was 165 before. Since I'm already lean I'm upset that the weight just went away. My strength seems to be the same if not better since before my surgery which is strange considering the amount of weight I lost in such a short time.

I guess I'm just looking for a little comparison between people close to my size. I don't really know how I stack up compared to most people since I workout from home.

Some of my numbers:
Squat: 315
Deadlift:355
Clean: 205
Jerk: 185
Snatch: 145
Bench: 275
Press: 145

I was also hoping to be able to make it to regionals in the next couple years and was wondering how much weight I would need to gain to be competitive. Yeah there are some guys that are close to my weight but they have a shorter frame, since I'm slightly taller I think I would need to gain 15-20 lbs. Does that sound right?

Any comments are greatly appreciated
There isn't a number per se, but most of the good athletes at your height are 180+ lbs and very lean at that weight. Your strength needs to go up significantly as well. I just saw Rich F. clean and jerk 355 lbs... You don't need to be him, but to be competitive you need to be much higher than you are.

I would have you focus on strength and building some size for now, then really dial-up your CF specific conditioning.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #20
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Maybe i'm weird, but 315 squat and your DL is only 365, seems strange, when I could squat 315-405 my DL was over 450, don't know if you guys need extra grip work or back work or what, but those DL's need to come up, especially if you're benching that close to your DL (in terms of weight)

I will agree though that to be more competitive at your height you should seriously be adding another 30-40lbs of solid muscle. Froning's stats list him as 5'9-5'10 and 185-195. So at 6ft you should easily be 190-205, to be at your optimal size/strength/stamina for Crossfit. The whole time you are adding muscle though I would def still keep up with skill/athleticism, make sure that muscle is useful right!