CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-29-2003, 09:36 AM   #1
Barry Cooper

Profile:
It happens to me from time to time on really tough workouts that I stay shaky for a while afterwards, and seem to have an elevated body temperature that ice water doesn't help as much as I would like. Most recently, that happened with the 3 circuit 400 meter run/21 KB Swings/12 pull-ups. I know I hit my maximum heart rate several times.

In any event, I got in the habit of having a shot of vodka after the really tough ones a while back. Not every one, just the really tough ones. From what I've read, a daily shot of almost any liquor seems to do some good. In my case, it settles my nerves, since I am literally shaky.

In any event, I've experimented, and found what I think is the perfect summer post-CrossFit workout drink. It is called the Ramos. You take (in may case) 2 oz. of Gin, 1/2-1 cup ice, and 2-3 Tablespoons of frozen juice concentrate ( I use orange juice or pink lemonade), and blend it in a blender. Add one heaping TBS of egg white powder or 1-2 egg whites, if you're confident in your source, (available at www.goodegg.com. A ten pound box is like $60, so it's a good deal. When I make protein shakes, it's what I use), 1-2 oz. of Heavy Whipping Cream, and an 1/8 tsp or so of Orange Blossom Water, if you can find it (it's lebanese, and usually next to the Rose water, if they have it; it's not absolutely necessary). Blend again until it's a little frothy. Drink.

It's cold, it tastes good, it hits the spot, and settles the nerves. It also has a strong energizing effect on me. Considering the amount of booze in there, it has surprisingly little effect as far as intoxication. I made one with 4 oz. of gin (which is what the recipe actually calls for), and hardly felt it. This combination of ingredients seems to work well together.

I wasn't sure whether to put this under WOD or Nutrition, since I can't testify as to its' nutritional bona fides, but it works. For me, anyway. Save it for the tough ones. I'm sure I'll be having a nice big one after that 7x (21 cleans/400 meter runs).

For what it's worth, Arthur Saxon used to blend gin with Stout beer and egg yolks, or so I've read.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:05 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Barry-

I think approx. 350 mg/kg of creatine added to your concoction will make it perfect.
Robb
Old 09-01-2003, 10:54 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
That's an excellent idea. I actually went so far as to price creatine yesterday. I'll try it one of these days, although if I'm realistic, it will probably be about six months. I don't want to start and then stop.