CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Adam Ressler

Profile:
Improve HSPU and Dips ??

Been making great strides in improving many exercises, but HSPU I cannot seem to improve and dips in general and as part of my muscle-ups are still very poor and do not seem to be showing much improvement (even though I do them every week, target them for improvement and give them rest to recover).

Any thoughts on things I may do to help improve these areas?

Couple notes, the main way I have been trying to improve these is by just doing those exact exercises, although HSPU I can only do 1 or 2 so I do holds or short ones trying to build strength. My form is pretty tight on both (there is always room for improvement). So, that leaves with what??

Thanks for any and all help!!

Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Richard Colon

Profile:
Re: Improve HSPU and Dips ??

I know you are new to the boards so Crossfit.com is a good resource but it is just a single resource. There are thousands of others on the net.

That being said, when I wanted to increase my pull-ups I found the Armstrong Pull-up program. When I wanted to increase my Back Squat, I found Smolov. The ideas behind them are not Crossfit based or specific but they worked, and they worked tremendously. The general theme from both is to do the exact movement that you are trying to get better at. The key is to also regulate the intensity so that you don't stall out or over do the movement to much. Either short rests between sets at sub-maximal effort or frequent and consistent daily movement, again at sub-maximal.

The idea isn't to just to do ring dips all day every day. It is too much. Think of the idea of "never pass a pull-up bar without doing 1 pull-up". Just do 1 dip and 1 hspu when you are near the rings or a wall.

As for progression, check out sites like beastskills and gymnasticswod. Just google them. They will tell you all you need to move towards efficient movement. After that, it is programming them in, like I mentioned above in a grease the groove sort of sense.

You can also just program them 3x a week into a wod or do what a lot of Crossitters do, and add them into your warm-ups (after you nail down the progressions).

I want to learn and master the levers. I use gymnastics wod progressions and do those progression movements as part of EVERY warm-up. It makes sure, that regardless of my programming for the day, I have gotten on the rings, hung upside down, so on and so forth.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Adam Ressler

Profile:

Thanks for the sites and advice. Good stuff. I have always been doing back to the wall progressions for the HSPU, but it sounds like stomach to wall might be even better. Got plenty to work on. So now I'll get to it!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I hardly ever do any handstand pushups or ring dips. I just do my weekly overhead pressing and bench pressing on 5/3/1 combined with the assistance exercises. Last time I tested my ring dips I was at 15 in October, last week I was up to 20. Handstand pushups went from 8 to 16 in about a year. (maybe not amazing but not bad for someone 205-210lbs)

So you don't necessarily have to do them to get better. Just get stronger overall. Strong pressing is strong pressing.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

A HSPU generally good dipping strength. This is because it is more tricep dependent than a dip.

However, a HSPU from HS to your head is really only a partial ROM HSPU. Figure 50-65% (depends on arm length). This is assuming a roughly shoulder width HSPU and not using really wide arms to decrease ROM.

Stomach to wall is more transferable for free standing HSPU on floor, parallettes or rings. They also tend to be a bit more difficult.

Since you are only able to do 1 or 2 HSPU, you could try a volume approach spread out through the day (GreaseTheGroove), or you use a slightly easier progression to build more volume.

If your dip numbers are weak so are your MU. I'd guess though you can do way more dips than HSPU so a volume method could be used that isn't necessarily GTG or spread out the day. 3-5 sets of dips for max effort or some percentage. Sort of depends on the number of your max dips.