CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #11
Jordan K Smith

Profile:
Re: Just wanted to point out another horribly written Anti Paleo article!!!

I did a rhetorical analysis picking apart a paleo article on blisstree.com for my english class and got an a. Good points or not, most antipaleo articles are so biased they make for weak arguments. But I find that goes for most nutrition articles in general.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
Bryan Arciero

Profile:

This article links to another article by US News (WFS), which states the following when asked the question "How much does it cost"

Quote:
Originally Posted by US News
It may be pricey—the produce section and meat counter are among the priciest corners of the grocery store.
Seriously, come 'on US News. I'm not suggesting you ride the wave of hyperbole by stating "crappy ice cream snacks are super cheap so will help those trying to cut costs on groceries" but are you really trying to crap on produce sections b/c they cost more money than processed canned stuff?

Last edited by Bryan Arciero : 10-20-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: quote marks fixed
Old 10-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Arciero View Post
This article links to another article by US News (WFS), which states the following when asked the question "How much does it cost"

Seriously, come 'on US News. I'm not suggesting you ride the wave of hyperbole by stating "crappy ice cream snacks are super cheap so will help those trying to cut costs on groceries" but are you really trying to crap on produce sections b/c they cost more money than processed canned stuff?
I guess it's different everywhere, but produce stuff is generally cheaper stuff.

A basket of veges and a kilo or 2 of meat would last a couple of days but the same spend would get you 1 premade microwavable or fastfood meal.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
Tom Gerhard

Profile:

I don't think it is the worst article ever written but ones like this are naturally going to incite a holy war. As someone who has followed both a strict Paleo diet (with great success) and less-strict one (also with great success) I agree that it is somewhat unsustainable from a practical standpoint. For example, I don't have the means to hunt wild game or purchase organically-raised meat.

However, I really have to call BS on the nutritional studies. I can't believe there are no studies on people who've been on a low-carb diet for five or more years. Also, I'm pretty sure a diet heavy on meaty protein and veggies will not make anyone gain fatty weight - but maybe that's just me.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Rob Samuels

Profile:  

I don't think its a stretch to say there are no studies on low carbers out to five years because quite simply the low carb life style for the masses is generally unsustainable. I know many disagree but 9 out of 10 of those people have been low carb for a year or less.

The problem is, as with any diet involving restriction of some food or food(s) is that we will slowly begin to seek out variety and substitutions. I say because we are seeking what we were meant to eat.

It’s easy for someone to start a diet low in carbs and yes I include paleo because in general people on paleo are low carb if for no other reason than by accident. I know it doesn’t have to be low carb but it usually works out that way.

If you were born and raised eating only beef and spinach well that might be one thing but our bodies have adapted, evolved and want many of the foods not on a traditional low carb or paleo diet. I dont buy this BS about 10,000 years of evolution isnt enough to eat grain and all that other garbage.

People dont stay on low carb diets, they either break down and hit the carbs with a vengeance or they start looking for substitutions which ultimately end up not being any better for us than just eating the item we are avoiding in the first place. Low carb breads are a great example. Soy meat for the vegans is another. I find it ironic that vegans make veggie substitutes of meat. If you are eating a product that is supposed to simulate meat then doesn’t that mean you want meat? You like the look of meat, the taste of meat, the texture of meat but your morally superior because you don’t eat meat? It’s like lesbians favoring toys that simulate the male anatomy, I don’t get it.

Anyway same with low carbers they scour the net looking for recipes and products to simulate all the things they so badly want but "can't have" Eventually they start gorging themselves on all these "low carb" alternatives until, guess what? They are fat again and can't figure out what happened, I mean that loaf of bread was low carb dammit!

Unsustainable diets don’t have long term health studies because, well they are unsustainable. The advocates point to things like cholesterol levels and proudly proclaim that on paleo all my cholesterol numbers became normal! Well vegans say the same things. Two completely different diets both improve health markers? hmmm Interesting yes?

The bigger issue is even people who will eventually say I have followed a paleo diet for 5 years, probably really have not followed a paleo diet. Who is to say exactly what that diet is anyway? What they really did was clean up most of the processed crap in their diet which is probably responsible for the improved health, not the fact they didnt have a slice of bread.

I wonder if one day we will have studies of long term strict paleo folks and discover that long term; the diet improves certain markers for health only to the detriment of others? Tom you are perfectly healthy except this colon cancer caused by your diet. Who is to say? We just don’t know.

Paleos like to say cavemen were perfectly healthy but because of their environment died early. Well we don’t know exactly how healthy they were, do we?