CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #41
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: Touch and go vs. reseting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
i've been to a gym briefly that banned deadlifts, heavy squats, even threw you out if you grunted too loudly, and others that banned all overhead exercises and definitely no olympic lifting, other gyms banned all barbell lifting if you didn't have a spotter with you.
...Planet Fitness?

In my old gym, I was allowed to deadlift, Oly lift, grunt, sweat and do all manner of gymnastics on the pull-up bar. The only downside was that I had to do my lifts on a carpeted surface, in front of a giant mirror... I had to learn to be careful with missed lifts.

Now, I work out at my uni's gym. Only lifting platform around town, and I pretty much get to do what I want.

In regards to the OP's question, I usually reset at the bottom of the deadlift. It depends how many reps I'm doing usually, as well as what the load is.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #42
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Did they disallow 5RMs and 3RMs as well? In that case, how would you make any strength gains, considering you would eventually get to the point where the workset in that days wod would be a new 5rm or 3rm, would it not?

As well, what other rules do you have in your gym, as well as the reasoning behind them? I'm very intrigued right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
My guess is they didn't, or at least nothing beyond the sort of novice gains that allow a complete beginner to add weight to his squat after a little time spent rowing or doing KB swings.
I don't particularly want to speak to that gym's programming, since I wasn't the decision maker and can only guess/infer about the logic. But, based on my experience, I would venture to say that Eric is right and that basically no one has moved past the novice strength level (by that I mean they haven't exhausted their linear progression). By max, I meant a 1RM.

I would consider my gym to be a strength biased gym, and I would also say that there are some CrossFit affiliates that operate using a lot of the same principles. I have taken a lot of my programming and training ideas from Rip and how he runs his gym. I do not offer group classes like a typical CF WOD. Everyone will learn the slow lifts individually and will have an individualized program to follow based on their goals. This means that most people will be using either Starting Strength or Justin's S&C hybrid depending on whether or not they are doing conditioning.

I have a USAW club, and I will program a beginning Oly template for people who are seriously interested in pursuing Oly for at least 2 months. One of the goals is to grow our club and have everyone compete in a local meet. We have done a lot in North Carolina to make this possible. My Oly coach has really spearheaded the drive to get more USAW local referees and to have multiple sanctioned meets throughout the state.

One of my coaches is a strongman competitor who has been training Oly seriously for the past several months, so he brings a different background to the table. Another coach has a CrossFit background and has just begun learning more about Olympic lifting. He helped handle some of the lifters at our last local meet.

We definitely want more kids and teens lifting for us both as Olympic lifters and as sport specific athletes who use our facility for their strength and conditioning. I brought one of my coaches to the U.S. Track and Field Level 1 cert this weekend for that reason, and we've already planned some follow up training with a throws coach.

In terms of things that are "banned," it would be hard for me to come up with a comprehensive list. Like I said, kipping, high rep barbell work for conditioning, and touch and go deads are things I can think of off hand. And, like I said, I reserve the right to make exceptions to the rule. Can I think of a reason that I would ever allow kipping? No. Can I think of a reason where I would have an athlete doing barbell complexes? Yes. Almost everyone who trains at my gym will walk in as a novice lifter. When people get to the intermediate level, there are things that will be appropriate for them that aren't appropriate for a novice. If someone wants to come to me with ideas, I will hear them out. But, if someone wants a gym where they can come do whatever they want, then my gym is not the place for them. In that case, they just want to pay for equipment rental and not for my expertise, and that's not how I roll.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #43
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I don't particularly want to speak to that gym's programming, since I wasn't the decision maker and can only guess/infer about the logic. But, based on my experience, I would venture to say that Eric is right and that basically no one has moved past the novice strength level (by that I mean they haven't exhausted their linear progression). By max, I meant a 1RM.

I would consider my gym to be a strength biased gym, and I would also say that there are some CrossFit affiliates that operate using a lot of the same principles. I have taken a lot of my programming and training ideas from Rip and how he runs his gym. I do not offer group classes like a typical CF WOD. Everyone will learn the slow lifts individually and will have an individualized program to follow based on their goals. This means that most people will be using either Starting Strength or Justin's S&C hybrid depending on whether or not they are doing conditioning.

I have a USAW club, and I will program a beginning Oly template for people who are seriously interested in pursuing Oly for at least 2 months. One of the goals is to grow our club and have everyone compete in a local meet. We have done a lot in North Carolina to make this possible. My Oly coach has really spearheaded the drive to get more USAW local referees and to have multiple sanctioned meets throughout the state.

One of my coaches is a strongman competitor who has been training Oly seriously for the past several months, so he brings a different background to the table. Another coach has a CrossFit background and has just begun learning more about Olympic lifting. He helped handle some of the lifters at our last local meet.

We definitely want more kids and teens lifting for us both as Olympic lifters and as sport specific athletes who use our facility for their strength and conditioning. I brought one of my coaches to the U.S. Track and Field Level 1 cert this weekend for that reason, and we've already planned some follow up training with a throws coach.

In terms of things that are "banned," it would be hard for me to come up with a comprehensive list. Like I said, kipping, high rep barbell work for conditioning, and touch and go deads are things I can think of off hand. And, like I said, I reserve the right to make exceptions to the rule. Can I think of a reason that I would ever allow kipping? No. Can I think of a reason where I would have an athlete doing barbell complexes? Yes. Almost everyone who trains at my gym will walk in as a novice lifter. When people get to the intermediate level, there are things that will be appropriate for them that aren't appropriate for a novice. If someone wants to come to me with ideas, I will hear them out. But, if someone wants a gym where they can come do whatever they want, then my gym is not the place for them. In that case, they just want to pay for equipment rental and not for my expertise, and that's not how I roll.
Interesting. With that in mind, if for some odd reason I am ever in Asheville, I will contact you to see if I could come in for some OLY lifting coaching
Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #44
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Not to beat a dead horse, but there is nothing wrong with both ways....touch and go AND re-setting. You are missing the boat if you don't mix and match to suit your goals.

Touch and go is a great way to tax the grip and burn up the back and hip area...it's also great cardio.

Case in point, the WOD and Regional workout from not too long ago as 21-15-9 315lg deadlift and 30 inch box jump. I find it hard to believe that the top times on that were done using the stop and re-set method. I know I didn't do it when I did that one. If you have good form and experience it is easy to tuch and go while maintaining form....and to reap the benefits I listed above. On the other hand if you are doing 1-3 rep sets you might NEED to re-set to correct form or re-grip......

So can't we all just get along?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 AM   #45
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
but i do agree steve i'm glad i go to a gym now that is pretty much do whatever you want, just don't be an idiot.
found out my gym doesnt allow burpies... lol so i jsut said im doing a pushup to squat jump.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:06 AM   #46
John A. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
found out my gym doesnt allow burpies... lol so i jsut said im doing a pushup to squat jump.
You need to find another gym.

I have to tell this story. Someone on another forum posted that people at the gym he trains at stare at him like he just got out of prison because he can do a lot of burpees.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:14 AM   #47
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Smith View Post
You need to find another gym.

I have to tell this story. Someone on another forum posted that people at the gym he trains at stare at him like he just got out of prison because he can do a lot of burpees.
meh its my college gym. so im just gonna keep using it untill i get kicked out.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #48
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but there is nothing wrong with both ways....touch and go AND re-setting. You are missing the boat if you don't mix and match to suit your goals.

Touch and go is a great way to tax the grip and burn up the back and hip area...it's also great cardio.

Case in point, the WOD and Regional workout from not too long ago as 21-15-9 315lg deadlift and 30 inch box jump. I find it hard to believe that the top times on that were done using the stop and re-set method. I know I didn't do it when I did that one. If you have good form and experience it is easy to tuch and go while maintaining form....and to reap the benefits I listed above. On the other hand if you are doing 1-3 rep sets you might NEED to re-set to correct form or re-grip......

So can't we all just get along?
Well, obviously if I agreed with you, I would do things that way.

If someone wants to train grip strength, there are better ways to accomplish that than by doing 45 sub max deads. If someone wants to condition, I would never program a deadlift WOD. There are much better options.

I have no idea what you mean by burning up the back and hip area. But, I guarantee that if you get your deadlift to over 500 lbs, then you wont care about whatever that means.

I don't care how fast someone can do that WOD from Regionals because my gym isn't a CrossFit affiliate. If someone came to me and had the goal of doing that WOD quickly, then I would see my role as helping them get their deadlift to over 500 lbs.

If you think that the majority of people are doing 45 deads for time with good form, then I think you should spend more time on the internet.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #49
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Well, obviously if I agreed with you, I would do things that way.

If someone wants to train grip strength, there are better ways to accomplish that than by doing 45 sub max deads. If someone wants to condition, I would never program a deadlift WOD. There are much better options.

I have no idea what you mean by burning up the back and hip area. But, I guarantee that if you get your deadlift to over 500 lbs, then you wont care about whatever that means.

I don't care how fast someone can do that WOD from Regionals because my gym isn't a CrossFit affiliate. If someone came to me and had the goal of doing that WOD quickly, then I would see my role as helping them get their deadlift to over 500 lbs.

If you think that the majority of people are doing 45 deads for time with good form, then I think you should spend more time on the internet.
Thanks, I already deadlift over 500lbs...that's why I feel knowledgable enough to banter back and forth about this topic....and I probably have a big deadlift because I DON'T spend a lot of time on the internet searching for videos and trolling....

So I guess we'll agree to disagree.....
Old 06-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #50
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Uh oh, here we go.....