CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #31
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Touch and go vs. reseting.

When I'm training for STRENGTH, I want to reset between reps. The hardest part of the deadlift for me, where I'm at, isn't in the lockout, it's the start off the floor. I can't train that too well if I'm touch and go, getting a stretch reflex to help me get the weight off the floor.

Case in point, my training buddy was doing touch and go's for his deads, but was having trouble if we ever did a CFT. I talked with him about resetting between reps, and his deadlift progressed much better (he pulled 365-ish at a bodyweight of 140#, and it's still going up, as is his bodyweight).

For a timed workout, I can understand touch and go's within reason. I don't have bumper plates, so I don't know how much they bounce, but going touch and go with metal plates works well for me.

Steve B - you should go to Tamara's gym, you would learn a lot. I haven't been there myself, yet, but I want to go sometime to learn what I can. Just remember that different people have different goals, and the training to get there is just as different.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #32
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
When I'm training for STRENGTH, I want to reset between reps. The hardest part of the deadlift for me, where I'm at, isn't in the lockout, it's the start off the floor. I can't train that too well if I'm touch and go, getting a stretch reflex to help me get the weight off the floor.

Case in point, my training buddy was doing touch and go's for his deads, but was having trouble if we ever did a CFT. I talked with him about resetting between reps, and his deadlift progressed much better (he pulled 365-ish at a bodyweight of 140#, and it's still going up, as is his bodyweight).

For a timed workout, I can understand touch and go's within reason. I don't have bumper plates, so I don't know how much they bounce, but going touch and go with metal plates works well for me.

Steve B - you should go to Tamara's gym, you would learn a lot. I haven't been there myself, yet, but I want to go sometime to learn what I can. Just remember that different people have different goals, and the training to get there is just as different.
lol yeah i dont doubt that.... id just hate to go to a gym where things are banned.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #33
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
lol yeah i dont doubt that.... id just hate to go to a gym where things are banned.
Name a gym where something isn't banned.

Globos have their list of rules.

One of the main reasons I opened my own gym was due to being unable to train the way I want to train at CrossFit affiliates. There are plenty of threads here about people who aren't allowed to do specific strength or skill work at an affiliate. One affiliate I belonged to refused to allow people to max.

A gym that says anything goes has an owner who doesn't care about quality programming. Because if I say anything goes at my gym, then I am refusing to acknowledge that some programming choices are better than others and that some programming choices have a risk that outweighs the reward.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #34
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Steve - I think that in the future, if I own my own gym, I will ban using bad form. Hope that's ok

Tamara - if they didn't allow maxes, how did they do the CFT? Did they just not do it? That would be a huge bummer to not be able to max out.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #35
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post

Tamara - if they didn't allow maxes, how did they do the CFT? Did they just not do it? That would be a huge bummer to not be able to max out.
They've never done the CFT, and I doubt they ever will.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #36
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
They've never done the CFT, and I doubt they ever will.
Did they disallow 5RMs and 3RMs as well? In that case, how would you make any strength gains, considering you would eventually get to the point where the workset in that days wod would be a new 5rm or 3rm, would it not?

As well, what other rules do you have in your gym, as well as the reasoning behind them? I'm very intrigued right now.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #37
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Did they disallow 5RMs and 3RMs as well? In that case, how would you make any strength gains, considering you would eventually get to the point where the workset in that days wod would be a new 5rm or 3rm, would it not?

As well, what other rules do you have in your gym, as well as the reasoning behind them? I'm very intrigued right now.
My guess is they didn't, or at least nothing beyond the sort of novice gains that allow a complete beginner to add weight to his squat after a little time spent rowing or doing KB swings.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #38
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Name a gym where something isn't banned.

Globos have their list of rules.

One of the main reasons I opened my own gym was due to being unable to train the way I want to train at CrossFit affiliates. There are plenty of threads here about people who aren't allowed to do specific strength or skill work at an affiliate. One affiliate I belonged to refused to allow people to max.

A gym that says anything goes has an owner who doesn't care about quality programming. Because if I say anything goes at my gym, then I am refusing to acknowledge that some programming choices are better than others and that some programming choices have a risk that outweighs the reward.
the only thing the gym says i cant do tha i workout at is lift barefoot. and probably throw things but they have banned any exercise or lifting style.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:05 PM   #39
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
the only thing the gym says i cant do tha i workout at is lift barefoot. and probably throw things but they have banned any exercise or lifting style.
i've been to a gym briefly that banned deadlifts, heavy squats, even threw you out if you grunted too loudly, and others that banned all overhead exercises and definitely no olympic lifting, other gyms banned all barbell lifting if you didn't have a spotter with you.

most CF boxes in my area will not allow you to come in and lift on your own, you either come in and do their hour of programming or you don't do anything. you can do SS or some other strength program with a coach but only on thier schedule and it costs extra.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #40
Michael Dowling

Profile:

but i do agree steve i'm glad i go to a gym now that is pretty much do whatever you want, just don't be an idiot.