CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Carl Amolat
Member Carl Amolat is offline
 
Carl Amolat's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Irwin  CA
Posts: 1,156
Sport Specific Training (Sprint Triathlon)

I've been doing a hybrid of Wendler 5/3/1 + CFE program (wfs) for the past month or so and have recently been looking into completing my first sprint triathlon within the next year or so. Still looking for beginner friendly events in Southern California that mesh with my schedule. So far I've found on Google the Klein Clark Sports Desert International (w/f/s) to be a suitable candidate, but does anyone have any knowledge of begineer friendly sprint tris in SoCal?

I'll be purchasing an entry level bike next week and already run and swim for CFE. I know I also need to work on open water swimming, as I haven't ocean swam in over a year.

I've heard triathlon saavy friends say that I should do sport specific triathlon stuff (transition work and multi-sport days) six to eight weeks before the actual event. It seems pretty sound to me as a lot of 'beginner triathlete' programs I've heard of or seen around my local bookstore are programmed for 6-12 weeks of preparation. Is 6-8 weeks OK for sport specific or would a 12 week prep program be suitable for a first timer triathlete?
__________________
"We Clear The Way...So Others May Live."- Personal Motto Combining a WWII era US Army Corps of Engineers Slogan and the US Navy Search and Rescue Motto.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Jason Wallis
Member Jason Wallis is offline
 
Jason Wallis's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marshfield  MO
Posts: 1,182
Re: Sport Specific Training (Sprint Triathlon)

I'm doing the same thing (sprint tri in June). At this time I'm doing mainpage 3-4x/week plus at least one swim workout. I run at least 1 5k/month and yesterday I rode my bike 30 miles just to see how it felt. When the event gets closer I'll do some tri specific stuff, but I feel like I'm progressing nicely on my endurance and don't want to change what's working.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Ted Apollo
Member Ted Apollo is offline
 
Ted Apollo's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Poway  CA
Posts: 1,697
Re: Sport Specific Training (Sprint Triathlon)

good to see you doing tri's carl. you have more then enough time to get ready for a spring tri. i prepared for the mission bay sprint tri a few years ago in a few months. you might want to check out this one. this is part of the san diego tri series they do.

of course you have to practice transitions, you also need to learn what is the right fuels for you to intake during the race (bananas, gel packs, etc...). the only thing really sport specific in your training will be 'brick' workouts. which means you do swimming/biking or biking/running training. its different to run after a long bike ride. i personally prefer it since it gets my legs nice and warmed up. none the less you need to train your legs for it to prepare.

good luck & have fun
__________________
m/36/6'/285/bf 31.9% - old workout log , xfit workout log ,and hybrid workout log (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Carl Amolat
Member Carl Amolat is offline
 
Carl Amolat's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Irwin  CA
Posts: 1,156
Re: Sport Specific Training (Sprint Triathlon)

Quote:
good to see you doing tri's carl. you have more then enough time to get ready for a spring tri. i prepared for the mission bay sprint tri a few years ago in a few months. you might want to check out this one. this is part of the san diego tri series they do.

of course you have to practice transitions, you also need to learn what is the right fuels for you to intake during the race (bananas, gel packs, etc...). the only thing really sport specific in your training will be 'brick' workouts. which means you do swimming/biking or biking/running training. its different to run after a long bike ride. i personally prefer it since it gets my legs nice and warmed up. none the less you need to train your legs for it to prepare.

good luck & have fun
Thanks Ted, I appreciate the input. Unfortunately the Superfrog/SuperSEAL conflict's with my Army obligations for that weekend, so I won't be able to attend. Operational commitments and all.

Funny story about triathlon was that I've always had a theory that a sprint triathlon training combined with a functional strength and conditioning program could cover almost all military fitness needs. Now I get to put that theory into practice.

I will definitely also need some open water training, but living far from any lakes or oceans means I do have to get creative and maximize any training opportunities for open water work that I can get. I'm gonna look for an event that is in a lake or pool for my initial entry into triathlon training though.


Quote:
I'm doing the same thing (sprint tri in June). At this time I'm doing mainpage 3-4x/week plus at least one swim workout. I run at least 1 5k/month and yesterday I rode my bike 30 miles just to see how it felt. When the event gets closer I'll do some tri specific stuff, but I feel like I'm progressing nicely on my endurance and don't want to change what's working.
Agreed about staying with what works and going into sports specific stuff when the event nears. I'd say between 6-8 weeks before the event is ideal to start doing triathlon specific training while doing my base fitness program of 5/3/1 + CFE work with biking added instead of C2 rower.
I hear you about
__________________
"We Clear The Way...So Others May Live."- Personal Motto Combining a WWII era US Army Corps of Engineers Slogan and the US Navy Search and Rescue Motto.

Last edited by Carl Amolat : 10-24-2010 at 05:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Ted Apollo
Member Ted Apollo is offline
 
Ted Apollo's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Poway  CA
Posts: 1,697
Re: Sport Specific Training (Sprint Triathlon)

xfit was a great way to cross train for the sprint tri. longer 'hero' wods like 'murph' were a great way to get my body ready for the tri.

the best way to plan for your tri is to take the distance of the race and plan your wods backwards from there. so if the race is a 10 mile bike followed by a 5k run then you should do a brick workout with at least an 8 mile bike followed a 2.5 mile run. then the week before that maybe a 6.5 mile bike/2 mile run, etc..... do the longer bricks wods on the weekends then just do intense interval (CF/CFE) training during the week. the key with the interval training is to keep your overall mileage down during the week to keep you healthy. you could keep your strength training during the tri training, but keep them really short. maybe drop the assistance work & just do your working sets in 5/3/1.

as far as the swim goes that its completely own thing. they always say 'you can't win the race during the swim, but you certainly can lose it during the swim'. swimming is 99% technique. i actually recommend the book, 'total immersion' by terry laughlin. great info in there on how to swim faster with less effort. teaches you how to lengthen your body & swim in the front quadrant. swimming in open water during a tri is a completely different experience. its called the 'washining machine' because everything is all churned up from all the swimmers. it gets hard to get your head up sideways out of the water from all the waves everyone creates. alot of people end up swimming with their heads up that makes their feet drag thus slowing them down. i suggest staying off to one side or the other to minimize this effect. also i 100% suggest a wetsuit. not so much for the warmth but for the performance enhancement. the full body suits are incredible at keeping you floating, especially your lower body which makes the swim way easier.
__________________
m/36/6'/285/bf 31.9% - old workout log , xfit workout log ,and hybrid workout log (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Jesse Gray
Affiliate Jesse Gray is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Davis  CA
Posts: 545
Re: Sport Specific Training (Sprint Triathlon)

In SoCal there are no shortage of sprint length tris. In SD alone you can probably find 2 or 3 per month from may until October.
Training wise, if your goal is just to finish a sprint distance tri you probably won't need any tri specific training, Crossfit will give you all the stamina you need to get it done. On the other hand, if you care about your time or want to be competitive within your age group you will need to change things up a bit.
If you want to go faster, I would recommend investing heavily in Crossfit Endurance training, swim, bike and run at least once per week, preferably one interval and one tempo of each per week in addition to regular Crossfit wods. If you really want to get competitive, you should probably follow a specific tri training program, drop Crossfit entirely and focus on losing weight. You should also work on tri specific skills like transition speed and aero bike riding.
However, diving headfirst into being a hardcore triathlete probably isn't good for everyone and probably isn't what you want to do either so just do a few Endurance wods per week (don't neglect swimming!) and you'll be fine.
__________________
My Box!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Carl Amolat
Member Carl Amolat is offline
 
Carl Amolat's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Irwin  CA
Posts: 1,156
Re: Sport Specific Training (Sprint Triathlon)

Quote:
the best way to plan for your tri is to take the distance of the race and plan your wods backwards from there. so if the race is a 10 mile bike followed by a 5k run then you should do a brick workout with at least an 8 mile bike followed a 2.5 mile run. then the week before that maybe a 6.5 mile bike/2 mile run, etc..... do the longer bricks wods on the weekends then just do intense interval (CF/CFE) training during the week. the key with the interval training is to keep your overall mileage down during the week to keep you healthy. you could keep your strength training during the tri training, but keep them really short. maybe drop the assistance work & just do your working sets in 5/3/1.
That is neat how I can basically keep doing what I'm doing currently for my training (the 5/3/1 + CFE - working nicely so far) and still be OK for a sprint triathlon. I can replace the 1 hour run or 1 hour ruck that I've been doing with the brick workouts about 8-12 weeks out from the event just so I have a grasp of it.

Quote:
If you want to go faster, I would recommend investing heavily in Crossfit Endurance training, swim, bike and run at least once per week, preferably one interval and one tempo of each per week in addition to regular Crossfit wods. If you really want to get competitive, you should probably follow a specific tri training program, drop Crossfit entirely and focus on losing weight. You should also work on tri specific skills like transition speed and aero bike riding.
I've been doing CFE supplemented with Wendler 5/3/1 for about a month now, I just hadn't done any biking yet because I don't have a bike (gonna do that this week - if I find a good starter bike).

I definitely plan on doing brick workouts and transition work in my training just so I have a basis for conditioning. Thanks for the insight.
__________________
"We Clear The Way...So Others May Live."- Personal Motto Combining a WWII era US Army Corps of Engineers Slogan and the US Navy Search and Rescue Motto.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Chris Westfield
Member Chris Westfield is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver  CO
Posts: 173
Re: Sport Specific Training (Sprint Triathlon)

Well I've been doing the main site WOD religiously since October. I have a sprint tri this Sunday.

I've biked three times in the last 3 weeks.
I've swam 5 times (including the CrossFit swim WOD, woot!) in the last 3 weeks.

I'm hoping to crack 1:40:00.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Additional Non-Sport Specific Training (Triathlon prep) James Chu Fitness 4 06-14-2010 09:56 AM
sprint triathlon performance after one year of crossfit Benjamin Goodale Testimonials 2 08-16-2009 08:24 PM
Triathlon (sprint) training?? Stephen Searcy Competitions 5 02-08-2009 02:17 PM
Triathlon Sprint Prep? Charles Bennington Fitness 30 10-06-2008 09:28 AM
Strong performance despite a lack of sport specific training Fraser Auld Testimonials 4 10-05-2005 07:59 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.