CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Sean Payne

Profile:
Would like to see what you're working with

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on here, I've been doing crossfit for about a week now and so far I like what I've seen posted up on the website. Definitely can feel all the workouts even though I'm already in pretty good shape. I've been doing natural body building and rock climbing for about 2 years now. I am curious as to how crossfit has benefited you all, and to know some of the work you do on top of the regular program. So basically...

1) What weights are you putting up on your big lifts(squat, cleanjerk, deadlift etc)
2) Do you only do the WOD or do you add something else to it (Heavy lifting, sport, etc)
3) Would you be willing to post a picture of yourself to show what results you got from doing your specific workouts or if uncomfortable could describe your body as far as tone, size etc

I'm just asking because I want to gauge how much work I want to do outside of the WOD. I am considering not doing as much heavy lifting and continuing climbing.

Thanks in advance! Really excited to continue with this program
Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Sean Payne

Profile:
Re: Would like to see what you're working with

Oh and I suppose diet would be useful as well.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Payne View Post
Oh and I suppose diet would be essential as well.
Fixed it for ya.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

I am 29, 5'7" and 135 lbs.

Squat 5RM 260 (270 1RM but haven't tested in awhile)
Dead 1RM 315
Bench 5RM 145
Press 5RM 110
Clean 170, jerk 150

I do shortened versions of the main-site WOD 1-2 days a week. Usually 1/2 volume, and 75% of the posted weights. I also run 1-2 days a week; usually 1 short run or intervals, the other a long trail run (I am training for the Mt. Lemmon Marathon in October).
Additionally, I do strength work. Basically the template for CF Football's amateur program, plus OHS and the Snatch because I like them.

I'm little, so I don't look like much in a T-shirt, but if I wear a sleeveless I get unsolicited jokes about the "gun show" and such. Can lift more than many people 1/2 again my size, and came in the top 25% of my first 1/2 marathon with 30 total miles of run training. I'd say it's a good balance of fitness.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I do my own programming, but used to follow mainsite. Currently working on my strength and speed-strength. 1rms at a bodyweight of 69kg 2 years ago (prior to many sport-related injuries) were:

Shoulder press: 65kg
Clean: 75kg
Jerk: 80kg
Deadlift: 165kg
Squat: 110kg
Bench press: 90kg
Heaviest pull-up: BW + 30kg
Heaviest Dip: BW + 40kg

I did mainsite WODs plus a lot of heavy deadlifts, pull-ups and dips- I didn't know much about training but went to my 1rm on these maybe once every 1-2 weeks. My sports training consisted of 2 hours of MMA training every night plus Saturday mornings, as well as 2 hours of gymnastics on Tuesday and Thursday nights and tricking and parkour for an hour every weekend... Yes,I am a busy person haha.

No pictures sorry- I didn't do pictures back then. I have some videos on my YouTube page though, which may give you an idea as to my body type.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Sean Payne

Profile:

Thanks guys I appreciate this.

So far I've been too sore to do much outside of the WOD, but I think I'm going to adjust to this pretty quickly. I'm hoping to compete in a Rock Climbing tournament next year and interested in competing in the crossfit games in 2 years or so.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Payne View Post
Thanks guys I appreciate this.

So far I've been too sore to do much outside of the WOD, but I think I'm going to adjust to this pretty quickly. I'm hoping to compete in a Rock Climbing tournament next year and interested in competing in the crossfit games in 2 years or so.
For the record, I think your rock climbing is going to be a lot more fun than training for or competing in the CF games. If it were me I'd back off the volume on the WOD's (fewer or shorter WOD's/week or both) and focus on developing climbing skills, then supplement with strength work that assists the climbing (grip work, ring work, other gymastics/calisthenics and mobility/ROM). Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
Sean Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
For the record, I think your rock climbing is going to be a lot more fun than training for or competing in the CF games. If it were me I'd back off the volume on the WOD's (fewer or shorter WOD's/week or both) and focus on developing climbing skills, then supplement with strength work that assists the climbing (grip work, ring work, other gymastics/calisthenics and mobility/ROM). Just my 2 cents.
Oh it's about 60000x more fun. I am just getting off spring break and haven't been able to climb, but now that I'm back at school I'll be in the gym training quite often.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
Sean Rooks

Profile:

Lifts are in my sig, diet is a very loose paleo with no dairy. I eat grains a few times a week, but almost never sugars, never soda. Occasionally chiptole.

Conditioning consists of rowing whenever I feel like it.

For rick climbing, when I was at my best at rock climbing (bouldering V7, leading 5.12) I weighed 180 and I worked my weighted pull ups a lot. That and some grip work is really all you need. I wasn't really all that strong when I climbed a lot, it isn't a huge prerequisite other than strong pull ups.
22/6'1"/M/208lbs. log wfs BS 375lb / FS 295lb / DL 405lb / OHP 190lb / Push Press 225lb / C+J 225lbs / Snatch 175lbs / Bench 275lbs / 500m Row 1:21
Old 04-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

285 squat, 375 deadlift, 175 clean, 120 snatch, OP was 125 last I tried I think, BP before injuring my shoulder was 200lb. pullups go from 20-25 on any given day, 1RM pullup is +45lb, best Fran but surely not my current is 4:08. Best 5k 16:45 800m 2:30 but 2:00 in my prime conditioning. 36" box jump.

Diet is usually eggs, sausage, pancakes in morning, bag of frozen veggies for lunch with pork chops or fish, dinner Beef and some veggies or chicken and veggies. Throughout the day I eat some cheese and nuts, coconut milk and other things to add up to 4500 calories a day. Oats make it in preworkout.

5'11" 170lbs 25 years old

Last edited by Bill M. Hesse : 04-01-2011 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Forgot Diet