CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
Richard Pennington

Profile:
Which one to buy?

Since i am new to all of this and i have little to nothing i am looking at christmas as been a way to get some of the equipment i need. I cannot afford the affiliate yet. I was looking at asking my wife to get a kettelbell or two for me, what weight should i get to start off with? Are there big differences in them or will the wlmart variety work (not getting that danskin thing or the medicine ball/kettlebell combo)
Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Ben Moore

Profile:
Re: Which one to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pennington View Post
Since i am new to all of this and i have little to nothing i am looking at christmas as been a way to get some of the equipment i need. I cannot afford the affiliate yet. I was looking at asking my wife to get a kettelbell or two for me, what weight should i get to start off with? Are there big differences in them or will the wlmart variety work (not getting that danskin thing or the medicine ball/kettlebell combo)
You can find kettlebells for much less than the Walmart prices online.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
James Francis

Profile:

If you are getting KB's it depends on your strength...no one leaps right into a 2pood kb without knowing they can handle it. I'd recommend starting with Dumbells...since they can double as a KB therefore your usage isn't limited...and I'd probably say start around 20lb and get up to 50lb in 5lb increments...much more useful... if too expensive...

Get a gymboss timer or other interval timer... a nice jumprope and maybe a weighted vest...Since you are new to all of this you must recognize that many many things can be accomplished with Free stuff...and it is up to you, to put your resources to the best use...

GL
Old 11-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Francis View Post
Get a gymboss timer or other interval timer...
I'll second the Gymboss (WFS). It's really nice when doing intervals and strength training to not have to watch the clock. If doing SS, just set it to 4' and knock out your 5 reps on the beep. Tabata, set it for 20" and 10" intervals. Working on sprinting? Set it to 1' and do 100m every time it beeps. If you strain a muscle, set it to something like 20' and 40' for on/off icing.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Richard Pennington

Profile:

what brand jump rope do you recommend?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
James Francis

Profile:

there are 2 very popular in the forum...ask around, I think one is RX'd jumprope on Facebook (wfs) Rx'd ropes and the other is (wfs) Powermax also popular and then I think it is Buddy Lee...I myself am still using a wallmart cheapie, but maybe one of this puppies will be under my tree too :-)...I think as of right now I'd opt for the RX...