CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Joe C Thomas

Profile:
Mobility WOD Question

OK, I have doing the MWOD a lot lately and I think I have a misconception of what it is for. I have been using it as a recovery tool, but I think I'm doing it backwards. I'm starting to think that I should be doing the MWOD the night before the exercises talked about in the video.

So, should I do the MWOD before the WOD that is associated with it?

If so, what would be a good recovery program after the WOD?

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Mobility WOD Question

You could do it twice...

My affiliate does mobility stuff before the WoD, fwiw.

Katherine
Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Pamela Schore

Profile:

I usually do it the night before. It works well (I think) because I work out first thing in the morning, and most days of the week I spend at a desk. It's a good way to loosen up and feel ready in the morning.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Justin McGinley

Profile:

I've been making my members do them before our workouts, as part of the warm-up. 4-6 minutes is spent doing K-Starr inspired mobility work. It's been great. Everyone's presses and squats look better.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

To me, the mobility WOD is all about getting your body into the proper positions as well as working on tightness and sticky sliding surfaces. Some of the exercises can be done before a workout but I think a lot of it should be done post workout or the night before. You don't want to be doing any serious static stretching before a workout with the exception of the hip flexors and some of the hip and shoulder capsule compressions (not sure of the proper terminology). Static stretching before strenuous exercise, I believe, can lead to higher injury rates and be detremental to explosive movements. This is why most standard warmups only include some minor dynamic stretching to get the blood flowing but limited static stretching.

The only time I think one should do some static stretching before would be if you have issues getting into the proper positions. I have a hard time getting my arms overhead and can tend to overextend my back in compensation. This can be dangerous for the back so improving my shoulder and upper back mobility before putting weight overhead might help. The tradeoff is that if I stretch out my shoulders I might open them up to injury.

My approach with the mobility WOD is to analyze what issues are preventing me from performing movements efficiently and to work on those after workout and before bed. If something is preventing me from getting into the proper position I might stretch it out a bit but do the exercise a little more cautiously.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Archibald View Post
You don't want to be doing any serious static stretching before a workout with the exception of the hip flexors and some of the hip and shoulder capsule compressions (not sure of the proper terminology). Static stretching before strenuous exercise, I believe, can lead to higher injury rates and be detremental to explosive movements. This is why most standard warmups only include some minor dynamic stretching to get the blood flowing but limited static stretching.
Kstarr talks about this as mostly bunk. he uses educated words and stuff, but he is in FULL support of PNFing hamstrings before, after and in between heavy deadlift sets.

if kstar tells me to doi the mobility wod before, i do what he tells me to do
Old 11-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
Kstarr talks about this as mostly bunk. he uses educated words and stuff, but he is in FULL support of PNFing hamstrings before, after and in between heavy deadlift sets.

its not bunk.....static stretching is different from PNF.

Static stretching leaves the hammies uncoordinated, where essentially takes the neurological system along for the ride, so you dont have the adverse effects.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
Geoff Archibald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post

There's a video where he talks about this. I went looking and didn't find the video but I found this
Quote:
Some questions have come up about when in the heck do you do the MWod. The answer is Yes. In this case, I'd say do this MWod before Fran and in addition to your standard CF warm up piece. Think of the Test/Retest paradigm today as about the entire workout.
which I take to me do it when you can. If that's right before the workout then go for it. If you feel an improvement then good, if not, then don't. Notice the "In this case..." which to means that it doesn't mean in every case. You really have to figure out what works for you. In a few videos he talks about night before prep and he's always talking about working on your goats on an ongoing basis and stretches that can be done in your office chair and on the coach.

I still don't think the mwod is a prescription for the warmup but a set of exercises that deal with common issues surrounding the positions he's talking about. A way to find your goats and deal with them. Once you can get good positioning then greater mobility does not mean more improvements and stretching things that don't need to be stretched might degrade performance. If you need more mobility on the day then by all means stretch it out but I would do it more in a test retest kind of way than always fully stretching before every workout.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
its not bunk.....static stretching is different from PNF.

Static stretching leaves the hammies uncoordinated, where PNF essentially takes the neurological system along for the ride, so you dont have the adverse effects.
oops, fixed
Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:

I personally do the MWOD at night before I go to bed. Of course I do some Joint Mobility, and some dynamic stretching pre-workout. Then after the workout I always do a minimum of 10 minutes of Stretching, 10 minutes on the Foam Roller. So I guess it depends on what you do pre and post workout.