CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Brock Cochran

Profile:
6 Months

As most of these start, I want to give a bit of background so that hopefully people can relate.

I'm 23 years old, married with a brand new baby boy. I've been in the United States Air Force 5 years, but even when deployed, I have worked a job that didn't require much activity, and in turn I've gotten a little soft since high school. I was a wrestler, football player, and power lifter in high school and grade school, and had seen every aspect of fitness (or so I thought). I deployed in 2007 at 170lbs, and managed to leave the desert a much bulkier 195lbs. Of course I got home and stopped working at like I had in the desert and that pretty much lasted up until 6 months ago when a friend recommended trying Crossfit at his gym. I had been hearing about it for a couple months and had always thought about trying it but as I have been for the last 3 years, I was more motivated to drink beer and eat crappy food than work out.

So in March I finally took the plunge. My first workout was Fran, and I was sore for a week. WHAT HAD I GOT MYSELF INTO?!? Having came from a wrestling and football background, I figured I knew what to expect. It couldn't have been farther from reality. Between March and June, I would try to go 3-4 days a week, but it varied a lot. Finally, at the end of June I decided to buckle down and spend no less than 4 days at the gym and have been at it ever since. I'd rather miss work than a workout these days!

Now the part about where I started and where I'm at now. In March when I started I was about 220, at 6'0" tall with a 36in waist. I couldn't tell you any single lift PR but I do know that I had to use a 50lb band on pullups and it took me about 20mins to do Fran. Today, I'm down to 205lbs and down to a 32in waist again. My Jackie time now is 8:57 and I did Randy in 9:00.

One of the best things about Crossfit is being able to see your progression. Seeing those banded pullups turn into thinner banded pullups turn into 1 or 2 kipping pullups turn into 10-15 kipping pullups was so encouraging to me. Seeing my times compare to the guys that had been doing it and the progress I make is what keeps me hungry every day for a new workout. Putting on the jeans I had to buy when I was 220 with a 26in waist 6 months ago that hang on me now is the reason I why I keep coming back for me.

Anyone that is thinking about getting back in shape, Crossfit is the best way to do it. There's no thinking involved, the awesome trainers do it for you from the workouts to teaching and tweaking each individual lift, run or pull. So just show up with a open mind and get to it! I've even went back to my high school and reconnected with my wrestling coach and he's sold on it now. He's asked me to come in as a strength and conditioning coach a couple nights a week and give the kids some "Crossfit style" workouts.

Sorry it was long winded, but if it helps anyone find the Crossfit way then it was worth it.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Jacob Hurd

Profile:
Re: 6 Months

I agree the trainers are the special thing that puts crossfit above everything else.

What did you d odiet wise?

Congrats on the great results in such a short time frame.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Brock Cochran

Profile:

I didn't do anything special for my diet. I ate decent for breakfast and lunch, lots of veggies and fruits and had a hearty dinner.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
Brock Cochran

Profile:

Thanks for the congrats though. I could fix a couple things in my diet by i don't do too bad.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
Lisa Jeansonne Johnston

Profile:

Awesome! I am at 5 weeks now and I hope I can report such impressive results at 6 months! And I agree with you, I would rather miss work than a work out!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Congratulations on your progress! And thanks for sharing - it's very encouraging to see others make such good progress.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Brock Cochran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Jeansonne Johnston View Post
Awesome! I am at 5 weeks now and I hope I can report such impressive results at 6 months! And I agree with you, I would rather miss work than a work out!

Just keep at it. Just have fun doing the WOD's and the results will come.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Brock Cochran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post
Congratulations on your progress! And thanks for sharing - it's very encouraging to see others make such good progress.
Thanks, Shannon.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

Great job Brock! It's always great to see people turning their fitness around. And, while the trainers are great, don't sell yourself short! You've been working hard and earning your results. One CF gym I saw had posted on their website: "results NOT guaranteed. You have to EARN them." I couldn't agree more. Awesome job earning yours!

Make sure you keep us posted on your progress after the next 6 months.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Brock Cochran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Great job Brock! It's always great to see people turning their fitness around. And, while the trainers are great, don't sell yourself short! You've been working hard and earning your results. One CF gym I saw had posted on their website: "results NOT guaranteed. You have to EARN them." I couldn't agree more. Awesome job earning yours!

Make sure you keep us posted on your progress after the next 6 months.

That's a very good quote, I'll have to pass that along to the trainers. I appreciate the kind words. Maybe in 6 months I can report I got my Lvl 1 cert!