CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #21
John Stone

Profile:
Re: Shane Carwin & Steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cowie View Post
It may be illogical (captain) but that's how current UK laws are on the subject.
Canada and over a dozen States in the US have similar laws. Using and dealing are different activities. That holds true with many things in the US (no license required to carry a concealed weapon where I live, and you can have as many as you want -- but try to start selling them, and see where that gets you).
Old 08-26-2010, 07:05 AM   #22
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Burry View Post
My problem is not with him or any pro athletes using, I loathe the Roger Clemens types, the Barry Bonds types, that go out and become the best in the world at something, with some help from PED's, and then deny it until the bitter end. Andy Pettite admitted he used HGH to help him recover and pitch deep in to the season. I am really just asking if anyone is surprised that Shane Carwin is on steroids? I'm interested to see how he handles it, and if he will just admit that he juiced, (I don't think ANYONE has ever admitted to presently being on steroids) or if he will be another Clemens and Bonds and end up in front of a grand jury on perjury charges. I saw man up and tell the truth, after all, you're in the UFC.

I also think Ben Johnson whipped Carl Lewis' ***! Just the Canadian talking

People used to admit it all the time prior to the Anabolic Steroid Control Act (1990). Magazines openly discussed it, including ones like Track and Field and Sports Illustrated.

Now, most everyone lies about it. Otherwise, little has changed.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #23
Andrew D White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"I have issues with him conspiring to illegally distribute anabolics"

And

" I think it's Carwin's beeswax if he wants to use "

Are at odds with each other. If you think it's someones business what they use and don't use, then someone has to provide the substances for them to have a real choice.
No, they're not at odds with each other.
Think on it some more.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #24
Troy Becker

Profile:

You know...

The more I learn about steroids, though I have never so much as seen any in person, the more tired I am of all this talk.

Apparently there are zero medical studies to ever link them to life threatening problems- their side effects are hit and miss, and the worst one is mood changes, unless hair loss matters more to you- or b-acne I guess, which is hit and miss like the others.

So congress overreacted to something as it always does in order to appear proactive, big deal.

The only problem worth having with using steroids is that those who don't want to get caught, and thus obey the rules, can get screwed when their opponent manages to not get caught (which isn't THAT hard, it seems) and uses them.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:06 AM   #25
Jon Cowie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
You know...

The more I learn about steroids, though I have never so much as seen any in person, the more tired I am of all this talk.

Apparently there are zero medical studies to ever link them to life threatening problems- their side effects are hit and miss, and the worst one is mood changes, unless hair loss matters more to you- or b-acne I guess, which is hit and miss like the others.

So congress overreacted to something as it always does in order to appear proactive, big deal.

The only problem worth having with using steroids is that those who don't want to get caught, and thus obey the rules, can get screwed when their opponent manages to not get caught (which isn't THAT hard, it seems) and uses them.
As far as i'm aware, this is because they cause detrimental health effects that can be attributed to other factors (drinking, smoking, diet etc) and are rarely taken in isolation - how many people live a saints' life + steroids? And regardless of the laws, people do not like to admit to them because of the stigma: lazy, shortcut, don't want to put the effort in etc. so it is difficult to say 'person x died due to steroid usage' especially in the days of lawsuits (how many people would let someone say that about their dearly beloved recently deceased relative?)

Another problem with wanting a scientifically controlled test (they do exist, i remember a chanel 4 documentary series which covered such an experiment form several years ago, i think it was around 2005 but i'm prob. wrong) is that those running the tests have ethical obligations to minimise the risks; therefore they use much smaller dosages than those typically found in illegal users. Also things like stacking, cyclying etc are out of the question because they would not give clear results attributal to a specific drug so 'proper' studies are likely never to occur
Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #26
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Andrew,

I thought about it before I wrote it. If you think that someone has the right to do something, then someone else has to have the right to provide it. With supply, you have no choice.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:42 AM   #27
Jon Cowie

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Andrew,

I thought about it before I wrote it. If you think that someone has the right to do something, then someone else has to have the right to provide it. With supply, you have no choice.
maybe (and this is just an opinion, lets not get into it here!) the discrepancies in the laws are so police etc are not forced to engage with the matter at every level, freeing them up to 'go after the big boys' or whatever 80's film term you prefer

Or maybe they (who ever made the laws) wanted to see if they could get everybody setting up their own personal labs (whilst taping pictures of them all to marionettes and laughing manically in their mums cellar)
Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 AM   #28
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Jon,

I'm not saying the law treats the buyer and seller the same, I'm saying that for the that buyer to exist, there must be a seller. Therefore you can't support one act while disparging the other.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:39 PM   #29
Brian Strump

Profile:

"If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

-any athlete getting paid in dollars and cents
Old 09-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #30
John Blount

Profile:

Everyone should watch the "Bigger Stronger Faster" documentary on steroids. It is entertaining and informative. I watched it online through Netflix.