CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
Daniel Quinn

Profile:
Sisson's Primal Blueprint Fitness is out

Just a head's up that Mark Sisson released his Primal Blueprint Fitness manifesto on the Daily Apple site. It's a 97-page free download (after registering your email, of course).

When Sisson introduced his Workout of the Week concept at the end of July, a thread went up here on the boards (WFS obviously - http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=60077).

I haven't read it closely yet, but a quick scan doesn't reveal much that would be new to CFers and those knowledgeable of paleo/primal eating. It is a good document to have handy for educating friends and relatives about paleo eating, as well as exercise randomization and the advantages of running fast and lifting heavy things (without all the "increased work capacity over broad time and modal domains" gobblygook).

If CF is "Forging Elite Fitness," then I'd say that the PBF is simply "Forging Fitness."

Here's a link (WFS - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/simpl...ss/#more-13823) to the original WOW post on the Daily Apple. The sign up is on the right-side of the page.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Ben Clark

Profile:
Re: Sisson's Primal Blueprint Fitness is out

I got the ebook and I like it a lot. I'm trying hard to commit to it as a permanent health fitness program blueprint.

The attached pyramid really is the blueprint. Most everything else in the ebook is justification and minor detail.

Most xfitters will balk at the base of the pyramid. 3-5 hours of aerobic 'activity' per week. Mark encourages fun and spontaeous stuff the hiking and mtn biking but I think unfit people would be best served doing an organized aerobic training program to fill the requirement. Commandment One is do not do it hard - 60% MHR is fine, 80% is very bad, "chronic cardio" in his terminology.

I don't like the bodyweight strength program he includes at all. Too many high rep(50!!) easy variants like wall pushups instead of moving up the strength variants more quickly. He definetely says there is such a thing as strong enough and sets the bar low by xfit standards. 12chins and 12 PU for example.

The 'Sprint day' can be literally sprinting or HIIT or metcon or the WOW.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture4.png (106.1 KB, 994 views)
Old 08-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Daniel Quinn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Clark View Post

I don't like the bodyweight strength program he includes at all. Too many high rep(50!!) easy variants like wall pushups instead of moving up the strength variants more quickly. He definetely says there is such a thing as strong enough and sets the bar low by xfit standards. 12chins and 12 PU for example.

The 'Sprint day' can be literally sprinting or HIIT or metcon or the WOW.
For myself, I agree with you, but given that 90% of the population can't do 2 pull ups, much less 12, I can't quibble with his prescriptions. If someone does the PBF, likes it and wants more intensity, there's CF waiting in the wings. As it is, I know dozens and dozens of people who would strongly benefit from using the PBF.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Ben Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Quinn View Post
For myself, I agree with you, but given that 90% of the population can't do 2 pull ups, much less 12, I can't quibble with his prescriptions. If someone does the PBF, likes it and wants more intensity, there's CF waiting in the wings. As it is, I know dozens and dozens of people who would strongly benefit from using the PBF.
The part I "don't like" isn't the bodyweight exercise or the strength standard(I'm looking up at that myself). Have you seen his specific 'strength' program? I'ts just weird. I've heard good things about Convict Conditiong and simpleFit but I don't know the details. I'll be using my own barbells anyway, the real question always is how long I'll stick to it.

I just turned 50 in poor shape and I think I might be the world champion of STARTING fitness programs. Several times a year, pretty much every year for 30 years.