CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #11
Justin McCallon

Profile:
Re: Novice Strongman contest in NC, Sept 25

Any advice on how to train for Fingal Fingers? I don't know of anywhere around here that has anything like that.

I think I'll be okay at the Tire Flips and the Bus Pull by the time the Competition starts. But, I worked with Stones today, and they were way harder than I thought. I need to learn the form I guess. How high do we need to lift the things?

And for Farmer's Carry, what are we carrying (i.e. DBs, KBs, bars..)? At Coffee's they have these bars that kinda look like condensed Trap bars with a thick handle that I used today. I didn't have clamps and it was tough to balance them with 45's on each side. Do we need to make a turn? Will we be able to use clamps to keep the weight from falling? My grip strength is good, but damn it's hard to keep those things balanced. I'll just need to practice a few more times I guess.

This is going to be a humbling experience.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #12
Brian Anson

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
Any advice on how to train for Fingal Fingers? I don't know of anywhere around here that has anything like that.

I think I'll be okay at the Tire Flips and the Bus Pull by the time the Competition starts. But, I worked with Stones today, and they were way harder than I thought. I need to learn the form I guess. How high do we need to lift the things?

And for Farmer's Carry, what are we carrying (i.e. DBs, KBs, bars..)? At Coffee's they have these bars that kinda look like condensed Trap bars with a thick handle that I used today. I didn't have clamps and it was tough to balance them with 45's on each side. Do we need to make a turn? Will we be able to use clamps to keep the weight from falling? My grip strength is good, but damn it's hard to keep those things balanced. I'll just need to practice a few more times I guess.

This is going to be a humbling experience.

Justin, I've never done the Fingal Fingers, but I'be been told to train push press and KB press to build strength for it. I'm sure squats help too.

For Atlas stones you can use tacky, this makes them MUCH easier to lift. There are plenty of vids of technique on YouTube. They'll be placed on steel barrels, just above my navel, I'm 5'9". So not very hight at all.

Farmer's will basically be a trap bar type setup, nothing fancy. One 180 degree turn at 25ft, and yes the weight plates will be secured so they don't slip off. Next time put some 2" Pony clamps on your setup.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
Brian Anson

Profile:  

Open practice will be this coming Monday, Aug 23 at 6pm, at the University YMCA in Charlotte, NC. Everyone's welcome!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:06 AM   #14
Brian Anson

Profile:  

There will be 4 open practice days before the contest- Sept 15, 16, 21, & 23. All will be at the Salisbury Y and will be in the late afternoon. And for you guys coming in the day before the contest (Sept 24) Kenny said it would not be a problem to practice events then.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
Brian Anson

Profile:  

Anyone else considering competing?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

What kind of deadlift strength is necessary to flip a 600# tire a competative number of times? 400ish?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #17
Brian Anson

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaughnessy View Post
What kind of deadlift strength is necessary to flip a 600# tire a competative number of times? 400ish?

Thanks.
This is truly a beginner friendly contest, if you can DL 250 you should have no trouble with this tire flip event. This 600lb tire is considered a "cardio" tire because most guys can flip it for high reps.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:58 PM   #18
Brian Anson

Profile:  

The first open practice days will be Sept 15 & 16- Wen and Th- next week. Hope some of you can make it!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #19
Thomas Bowman

Profile:

Thanks for the advertising Bud - I will be there competing and offering my TOMMY TACK product for competitors to use for stones. I of course will have it for sale as well..you can save the shipping I may even have some tshirts. Looking forward to meeting some new folks to Strongman..and some old..
i also want to mention..I'm in Graham/Burlington area and have loads of Strongman
equipment and I /we train nearly every weekend..all comers welcome to come train with us.

Thomas Bowman
TOMMY TACK
ncstrongman@gmail.com
Old 09-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #20
Brian Anson

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Bowman View Post
Thanks for the advertising Bud - I will be there competing and offering my TOMMY TACK product for competitors to use for stones. I of course will have it for sale as well..you can save the shipping I may even have some tshirts. Looking forward to meeting some new folks to Strongman..and some old..
i also want to mention..I'm in Graham/Burlington area and have loads of Strongman
equipment and I /we train nearly every weekend..all comers welcome to come train with us.

Thomas Bowman
TOMMY TACK
ncstrongman@gmail.com
No problem! I'll be there tomorrow for practice. I'll be the guy in the Vibram Five Fingers!