CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
Morgan McGaha

Profile:
Re: Even though I dont crossfit as Rx'd...

Some fat guys get mad respect. If Tony Siragusa was mad at me, I would run for my life. That would be my only chance of living.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Steve Nelson

Profile:

this brings an interesting topic..and not to hijack the thread..but i do believe size and/or better body comp often will keep one out of trouble..when i was heavier in all the wrong ways i found that people often 'tested' me more..now that things are reversed i don't run into as much trouble..

Last edited by Steve Nelson : 08-05-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nelson View Post
this brings an interesting topic..and not to hijack the thread..but i do believe size and/or better body comp often will keep one out of trouble..when i was heavier in all the wrong ways i found that people often 'tested' me more..now that things are reversed i don't run into as much trouble..
There is a great book written on this whole subject. Meditations on Violence by Rory Miller. Get that book. Now.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

I wasn't the huge, intimidating, sumo wrestler fat, I was the laughable, out of shape, guy who gets made fun of fat.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin R. Greene View Post
These subtle, almost-subconscious relationship dynamics are so important in a male-dominated environment. I deal with heavy conflict every day (I'm a criminal defense and divorce lawyer) and being fit and in shape has absolutely changed the way people treat me. I feel a lot less aggressive behavior towards me now.

You would think that our society would evolve beyond those somewhat childish dynamics, but it hasn't. Even in a genteel and structured environment in which physical violence is all but inconceivable like a courthouse, a guy with big arms and a flat stomach (me now) gets treated way differently than the same guy with thin arms and a huge beer belly (the me of February 2010).

I think physical appearance definitely plays a role, but overall confidence is the key. I'm thrilled that Crossfit has given me a level of fitness that I only dreamed of a few years ago, but the confidence that I have developed(both from CF and BJJ) is life-changing. As you've noticed Ben, people pick up on that confidence, and are probably more likely to treat you with respect. Seeing a physically fit(not just thin) person is somewhat rare these days in America, so people tend to take notice when they do see one.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #16
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Eno View Post
I think physical appearance definitely plays a role, but overall confidence is the key. I'm thrilled that Crossfit has given me a level of fitness that I only dreamed of a few years ago, but the confidence that I have developed(both from CF and BJJ) is life-changing. As you've noticed Ben, people pick up on that confidence, and are probably more likely to treat you with respect. Seeing a physically fit(not just thin) person is somewhat rare these days in America, so people tend to take notice when they do see one.
I haven't even joined an affiliate yet and have just been working my own little core muscles metcon for the past week or so and I found myself walking straighter down the hall the other day. Not even thinking about it - it was neat.

Anyhow, to the OP - good job! At the end of the day, the little things really are important, aren't they?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #17
David Meverden

Profile:

Fun testimonial, bro! Good work on the body composition changes!

I definitely agree with the comments about body composition changing how people treat you. I was at a family gathering talking about something similar. I basically was saying that a skinny kid we knew should do Starting Strength and gain 30 or 40 lbs; that it would change his life and change how people look at him and treat him. My sisters comment was that I sounded like a woman going "honey, if we just made you up a little; did your hair, gave you better makeup, people would see you totally differently".

She basically compared being muscular among men to being well made up among women; how both would change your default position in the hierarchy. I saw her point and couldn't come up with much of a retort at the time, but later realized I should have pointed out that 20 lbs of muscle is useful in a whole lot of situations OUTSIDE of social interaction, which can not really be said of a great haircut and superb makeup
Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #18
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Fun testimonial, bro! Good work on the body composition changes!

I definitely agree with the comments about body composition changing how people treat you. I was at a family gathering talking about something similar. I basically was saying that a skinny kid we knew should do Starting Strength and gain 30 or 40 lbs; that it would change his life and change how people look at him and treat him. My sisters comment was that I sounded like a woman going "honey, if we just made you up a little; did your hair, gave you better makeup, people would see you totally differently".

She basically compared being muscular among men to being well made up among women; how both would change your default position in the hierarchy. I saw her point and couldn't come up with much of a retort at the time, but later realized I should have pointed out that 20 lbs of muscle is useful in a whole lot of situations OUTSIDE of social interaction, which can not really be said of a great haircut and superb makeup
The other difference would be that the skinny kid would know he was different from before; that a real change had been made. Which goes back to the confidence point made earlier - "I own my body now and I will make it what I want it to be."
Old 08-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #19
Sean Dunston

Profile:

right on, Shane! That's good stuff, man.

A couple partners in my firm decided to sponsor the inaugural running of a local 1/2 marathon. They know I used to run (I've got a group of medals in a shadow box hanging on one of my walls), so they keep asking me if I will run it for the firm. Unfortunately - I don't run distance any more (plus I'll be on vacation during that event anyway). Running LSD (without proper training) destroyed one of my knees, so any running over about 2.5 Km these days gives me pain for a couple days afterward. It's not something I like experiencing, so I have declined their invitation.

However, I will be competing in a USAPL event next month and I've been debating inviting the firm to attend - but I'm not sure what they'll think of me if they actually do come and watch me while I'm in full-on MEATHEAD mode.