CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-09-2010, 04:54 AM   #11
Frits Mansvelt-Beck

Profile:
Re: A Mile of Muscle Ups/ Birthday Challenge

Hi David.
Just got my 37 seconds free HS. I will post a video on "my challenge is your challenge" thread. So, I have 2 out of three (10 sec. hold straddle FL and BL plus 30 seconds free HS); actually 2.5 out of 3, because I can do a tucked BL hold. Now, what about you and I working in unison towards the BL. I am convinced that you can do it. Just think about the stunned silence that will fall on this Board when we get there. And all the Respect. Let's show these youngsters how it's done (I am talking about the 50+ crowd now). We will own them big time, he, he.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #12
David Keisler

Profile:

Congratulations Frits..thats incredible..can't wait to see the vids..my BL is hopefully going to happen one day but I've been less than persistent with my BL training however..Keep up the good work & thanks again for the up date. Hope to see your picture on the cover of Sports Illustrated soon..Are you still rowing & climbing?
Frits..were isometric exercises ever big in Europe?..years ago when I was in Jr High in the early 1960s Isometrics were new & then "died out" .it seems to me that static holds are somewhat isometric like& maybe you could incorporate some of these exercises into your training.
I've got about 1700 MUs now ..but I do one MU & then 5 dips each time I do a MU..so I'm doing less total MUs & more Dips...this is a little easier on the elbows.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
Frits Mansvelt-Beck

Profile:

I suggest a couple of days rest on the MU's. You will be surprised how much good that does. Also, when warming up, or on an off-day, use a rubber band or a bicycle tube as a support (just sit in it with your legs in an easy L-sit). Getting rid of an elbow tendonitis can take a long time; better to go easy on them when they give you warning signals. I have to find out what you mean by isometrics, because it does not ring a bell. And yes, the Sports Illustrated interview. Well, when they won't guarantee a bent straw with my soft drink during the photo shoot and interview, for me it is a no go. So, probably not. Their loss. Take care.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #14
David Keisler

Profile:

Frits..isometrics are basically pushing or pulling on an immovable object..say a horizontal bar..& holding for for to five seconds..it's a forced muscle contraction against an object that you cant move.... probably similar to pullup "lock outs" My elbows feel better with the decrease reps/sets & I'm able to do some daily without discomfort..just a lot less daily say 5 vs 20..
Old 05-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #15
Frits Mansvelt-Beck

Profile:

Ah, yes. Now I remember. No, we did not do any of that in high school. Just some tumbling and rope climbing. I think balance and body control is not part of isometrics. In that respect isometrics as a training method is probably closer to Nautilus machines than to gymnastics. You asked about rowing and climbing. The answer is yes. I am in a race the 30-th of this month and my son and I are talking about doing some rock climbing later this summer. I am very happy to hear you and your elbows are friends again.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #16
David Keisler

Profile:

Elbows are better with less daily WUs..I'm now @ 7280 total feet of MUs.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #17
Frits Mansvelt-Beck

Profile:

Hey David. I just realized that you have muscled your way up more than 70% to the top of Mount Everest, starting at Base Camp (Top at 8848 meters, Base Camp at 5545 meters, 1 foot is 0.3048 meters). And, that without supplementary oxygen. Giving the mountain a fair chance (as they say). So, only a little more than 3000 feet to go. Keep muscling up. You will be the first to do it that way.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #18
David Keisler

Profile:

Frits, I was measuring in feet & not meters..so I still have a long way to go.I might have to start counting my 18 foot rope climbs & additional dips ..5MU is only about 20 feet a day ..so @ that rate it would take me 4 more years
Old 06-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #19
David Keisler

Profile:

Or... maybe I could just get really tough & do 37 rope climbs daily for the next 30 days & reach the summit on July the 4th...@ least I did the first mile as all MUs.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #20
David Keisler

Profile:

If my math is correct I'm @ 10,200 feet..or about 1/3 of the way.