CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Celio Silva

Profile:
UFC 112 "Invincible" predictions

Hey yall, it's time to throw your predictions out there again!

Silva vs Maia KO 1rd or 2rd
BJ vs Edgar Sub 3rd or 4rd (RNC)
Gracie vs Hughes Decision
Etim vs Dos Anjos Decision
Grove vs Munoz Sub 2rd (triangle choke)

Saturday we get to see the two TRUE best P4P fighters in the world in action! (how anyone places GSP above Silva & BJ is beyond me!).

Maia got his hand full but definately stands a chance to pull a sub.

Edgar is a great guy & fighter but stands NO chance whatsoever.

I can't believe I am calling Matt "the-most-arrogant-fighter-ever" Hughes to win! Dude is truly a ______bag. He is definately NOT finishing Renzo, while Renzo stands a real chance of submiting him. However, the most likely scenario is Hughes by UD.

Etim vs Dos Anjos is gonna be a war!

Grove vs Munoz is a toss-up.

Overall great card! Enjoy it...
Old 04-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Matt Payne

Profile:
Re: UFC 112 "Invincible" predictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Hey yall, it's time to throw your predictions out there again!

BJ vs Edgar Sub 3rd or 4rd (RNC)
Gracie vs Hughes Decision
Etim vs Dos Anjos Decision
Grove vs Munoz Sub 2rd (triangle choke)

Saturday we get to see the two TRUE best P4P fighters in the world in action! (how anyone places GSP above Silva & BJ is beyond me!).

Maia got his hand full but definately stands a chance to pull a sub.

Edgar is a great guy & fighter but stands NO chance whatsoever.

I can't believe I am calling Matt "the-most-arrogant-fighter-ever" Hughes to win! Dude is truly a ______bag. He is definately NOT finishing Renzo, while Renzo stands a real chance of submiting him. However, the most likely scenario is Hughes by UD.

Etim vs Dos Anjos is gonna be a war!

Grove vs Munoz is a toss-up.

Overall great card! Enjoy it...
GSP above BJ??? Well GSP destroyed him 2X.... that's probably why.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

He destroyed him 1x. The first fight could've gone either way and GSP's face was pretty smashed up afterwards.
How anyone can put GSP above Silva though is beyond me.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
He destroyed him 1x. The first fight could've gone either way and GSP's face was pretty smashed up afterwards.
How anyone can put GSP above Silva though is beyond me.
No....2x.Either way? Go back and watch that one again. Face messed up? Well if they gave wins to whose face was messed up most that would be a different sport. Even BJ will admit that. Why would anyone put GSP higher than Anderson? Well partly it may be due to the fact that GSP has fought a more competitive field of fighters over his career. Who is the best opponent that Anderson has faced versus the best GSP has faced? If you look at the list it is pretty clear. This is not a who can beat who but the question was raised as to how could anyone put GSP ahead of BJ on P4P list....very simple.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
No....2x.Either way? Go back and watch that one again. Face messed up? Well if they gave wins to whose face was messed up most that would be a different sport. Even BJ will admit that. Why would anyone put GSP higher than Anderson? Well partly it may be due to the fact that GSP has fought a more competitive field of fighters over his career. Who is the best opponent that Anderson has faced versus the best GSP has faced? If you look at the list it is pretty clear. This is not a who can beat who but the question was raised as to how could anyone put GSP ahead of BJ on P4P list....very simple.

Either way indeed. It all depends on who is judging and how are they judging. If you are looking for damage (it's a fight!), and strikes landed, BJ clearly won. If you are looking for takedowns, and lay-n-pray, GSP clearly won.

The funny thing is that people only score takedowns, never takedowns defenses...

On my book, the best P4P title goes to the best fighter, which is not determined by competition (granted that is a criteria). The best fighter is the one that steps on the octagon and showcases the most skill while being a fearless & well conditioned warrior. Both BJ and Silva are more skilled than GSP, and neither have tapped to strikes like GSP has. It's actually an easy choice...
Old 04-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

BJ vs Edgar Sub 3rd
Gracie vs Hughes Submission
Etim vs Dos anos KO
Grove vs Munoz TKO (stoppage due to strikes.)

GSP, Penn, and Silva are all great fighters, GSP and Penn have a higher level of competition than Silva, Anderson and Penn finish more fights, and GSP is the best athlete out of all of them, It is a toss up and could be justified any way. GSP really needs to either move up and dominate Anderson or start finishing his fights to be a easy pick for #1.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Either way indeed. It all depends on who is judging and how are they judging. If you are looking for damage (it's a fight!), and strikes landed, BJ clearly won. If you are looking for takedowns, and lay-n-pray, GSP clearly won.

The funny thing is that people only score takedowns, never takedowns defenses...

On my book, the best P4P title goes to the best fighter, which is not determined by competition (granted that is a criteria). The best fighter is the one that steps on the octagon and showcases the most skill while being a fearless & well conditioned warrior. Both BJ and Silva are more skilled than GSP, and neither have tapped to strikes like GSP has. It's actually an easy choice...
Well thankfully most of the fighting community and fight organizations don't assess P4P on your criteria. Hell, by that I can name tonnes of "best fighters"...none of them hold any titles. Cool.

Only thing the fighters really care about is who wins...."lay and pray" ...boo hoo...wrestling, grappling ..all important parts of the sport. All these guys try and win using whatever techniques and styles are required for the situation. GSP banged up Jon Fitch pretty good with strikes, passed BJ's guard....beating BJ at his own game. I say sour grapes for all those who deny GSP the respect he deserves. One of the top P4P without question.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Celio Silva

Profile:

Nice post and picks Jeff. Man, I don't know how I could have picked Hughes against Renzo, that's blasphemy! If only my countryman and training partners in Brazil would find out... But after what I've seen and heard from Renzo I am actually confident on picking him. Shoo, even if he loses, I'll go down with him everytime. Renzo is the man. I know he'll want to sweep or reverse a takedown to get top position and do to Hughes what Hughes did to Royce.

Matt, "boo-hoo" to lay-n pray indeed, amen brother! My bad for assuming that you would have known that the most basic criteria of being P4P best is to be a champion, or at the very least to be at that level. I would say that GSP beating BJ at his own game would require submiting him. And GSP is undeniably one of the best P4P fighters in the world, just not the best.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Celio Silva

Profile:

...and BTW, if Georges beat Fitch up pretty good, so did Mike Pierce in his second fight in the UFC, and he did it in only three rounds...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
Matt Rexin

Profile:

I wish I could debate this GSP-Silva-BJ Penn P4P greatest, but I have to pack my bags tonight last minute so this will be quick

Middleweight Championship bout: Anderson Silva vs. Demian Maia
Silva
Lightweight Championship bout: B.J. Penn vs. Frankie Edgar
Penn, although Gracie called Edgar, but still.....Penn.
Welterweight bout: Matt Hughes vs. Renzo Gracie[1] I have a bad feeling about picking Renzo, but maybe he can be the one Gracie to pull it off. They have had a pretty bad Octagon curse since the Royce heyday.

Light Heavyweight bout: Alexander Gustafsson vs. Phil Davis
Phil Davis still has some things to work on, but man can this guy wrestle.