CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
David Csonka

Profile:
Smile Back from the Garage Games, Very Inspired

I participated in the 2010 Garage Games this past weekend down in Woodstock, GA. It was my first CrossFit competition and was pretty much my first real athletic competition period. I have been crossfitting for about 5 months now and was pretty excited to see a whole bunch of elite athletes in action.

http://naturallyengineered.com/blog/...-than-a-shirt/

Let's just say, I was thoroughly impressed and walked away with new-found motivation and inspiration.

And I've never done a workout outside when it was sleeting before. How's that for a first.. hah!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
JR Saunders

Profile:
Re: Back from the Garage Games, Very Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Csonka View Post
I participated in the 2010 Garage Games this past weekend down in Woodstock, GA. It was my first CrossFit competition and was pretty much my first real athletic competition period. I have been crossfitting for about 5 months now and was pretty excited to see a whole bunch of elite athletes in action.

http://naturallyengineered.com/blog/...-than-a-shirt/

Let's just say, I was thoroughly impressed and walked away with new-found motivation and inspiration.

And I've never done a workout outside when it was sleeting before. How's that for a first.. hah!
that's cool man, i'm the same way anytime I see somebody of the elite of their sport doin work..always makes you wanna push and pick their brain to see what they're doin to get the way they're.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

Glad you were inspiration by the event, David! I agree that anyone who went out there and gave everything they had deserves to be proud of how they did.

It was my first CrossFit Competition as well after about a year and a half of CrossFitting. It was really cool to get out there and test myself against some really great athletes. And I remember your buddy Brad. He was giving everything he freakin' had! Props to him. I hope he didn't end up too sick from the weekends events.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

I agree! It was a great weekend and my first ever athletic competition. I also had an injury from the trail run (rolled my ankle) and couldn't run in the last event. I finished- but not within the 27:00 time limit. It was an unforgettable event for me, even though I didn't finish well. Great to be there and be a part of it!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Haha, the sleet was fun, wasn't it? I did the Carolina CrossFit Challenge in Durham in December, but the Garage Games took things to a completely different level. Crazy weather, crazy WODS...just a great time. And, I was very inspired by everyone.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
David Csonka

Profile:

I liken Brad to Steve Prefontaine - he just ignores pain and pushes past it, a very hard working guy.

That trail run seemed a little dangerous with that stream crossing. I wish I had the insight of my friend Justin to just charge through the deep end. I probably wasted a whole minute trying to walk over those slippery rocks- heh

That was actually the first time I had ever seen sleet, much less worked out in it. At first I thought it was more rain, then somebody near me said "it's snowing!". I looked down at my sleeves and the "snow" looked like little candy sprinkles for ice cream.

Crazy stuff; I'm now going to have to find a competition in the summer time to get the full CrossFit experience.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

I didn't know you were there, Tamara! I should have searched for message board people that I've interacted with and tried to track them down. The weather was crazy. The sleet started coming down just after I started the AMRAP. Wallballs are tougher when you can't feel your hands, and grabbing a kettlebell with no feeling in you digits is just strange ("I hope I'm holding on tight!").

Suzanne: Cool avatar! I'm also going to have to change my avatar to one of my Garage Games pics (will people recognize me without my purple rhino icon? Ah well. They'll figure it out). Sorry to hear about your ankle. I turned mine crossing the stream the first time, but I wasn't too bad, so after 20 yards of babying it I was able to resume my pace.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
I didn't know you were there, Tamara! I should have searched for message board people that I've interacted with and tried to track them down.
Well, I should say that my friend who came with me said she didn't recognize me the entire weekend because I was working out fully clothed . Another person said they didn't recognize me because they couldn't see the tattoo, heh. I did manage to strip down to my sports bra for the final 600m run in that fourth WOD.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #9
Michael Keas

Profile:

sounds like you guys had a great time. Im very interested in entering in some CF games. Im going to at least wait 6 months into CF though or until I can do the WOD's un-scaled. Great job everyone.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
David Csonka

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I did manage to strip down to my sports bra for the final 600m run in that fourth WOD.
I noticed that. You know somebody is working hard when its like 30 degrees out and they have to strip down to underwear!