CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Daniel Freedman

Profile:
Re: Dot com versus local

In a previous life, I produced open line television programs. I have also been active in online communities for more than 15 years as both a moderator and participant.

In every case, it's a truism that those who post/call in are a small minority... who are wildly unrepresentative of the virtual community as a whole.
The best communities have both virtual and "real life" face-to-face components. CrossFit tops them all.

I'm not suggesting this board is obsolete or serves no purpose. My only point is that there is more to the community. I would encourage everyone (who possibly can) to get their butts to an affiliate -- at least occasionally.

In the past year, we have also seen a proliferation of regional events and competitions. I've seen "unknowns" come out of their basements and garages and do well. The trend will grow with the new sectional events on the road to the CrossFit Games.

These are all very encouraging developments.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Cooper View Post
A conservative guess is that there are some 10,000 people doing some type of CrossFit workout daily, but there are only a few hundred people posting here, as far as I can tell. Certainly it's not 10,000.
A conservative guess would be 100,000 people. And even that's being VERY conservative.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 AM   #13
Liam McKarry

Profile:

Whilst theoretically I do agree that the 'community' has changed significantly in recent years due to the proliferation of affiliates - are we saying that the message board is the community? Do we exclude the individual from the community by scrapping the mainsite? or the two friends who do CF workouts together from the mainsite are they not part of a community just because they don't post to the message board?

I personally think that the amount of people posting vs people actually doing the WODs are vastly different. Simple facts from a friend that does the WOD from mainsite, as a result of this thread, I asked why he doesn't contribute. This was his answer and I bet it would be the same for lots of people (I have paraphrased him a bit here but the essence is the same minus the profanities):

1. I read the WOD and workout - I keep score against myself in my record as it's easier to find the times etc.
2. the message board can be very unfriendly if you ask the wrong question or a question others think is dumb (not sure I agree with that but whatever....)
3. I don't really care about who loves who or who hates who in some random disagreement on the otherside of the world (we both live in the UK), I just want to do good workouts from a program that delivers day after day. Nor am I interested in affiliate bashing competitions or hearing how CF is this or that and if you're not doing as Rxd or not doing 3 on 1 off it's not CF or whatever. I'm not really fussed about Gym Jones, Robb Wolf or any other trainer that I've never met before and probably never will.
4. I don't need nutrition advice and don't want to be told I'm wrong for not subscribing to Zone/Paleo (again I'm not sure about that one but it could be seen that way)
5. The threads seem to repeat themselves alot - same stuff just different labels so no real need to ask the questions over again.
6. CFJ is a far better way to find information that using the message board and is usually written by people with alot of experience or a message worth reading.

My take on the whole dot com vs local is that affiliates in UK and Europe are still few and far between and are likely will be for a few years to come. From what I understand most affiliates program the way they like to and usually have to cater for large groups - I'm pretty sure that most gyms around here wouldn't have the equipment required for 20 people to do Grace as a WOD or even 10 people (or even 5 at the same time for that matter) - dot com works well for all of us out here who want to do the WOD and get on with our life.

I agree with whoever it was that said getting a free workout given to you everyday and then complaining because of a disagreement between personalities in the fee generating part of the service is just, well, rude and disrespectful to the idea of CF.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #14
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
I just wanted to note briefly that a change has happened invisibly which is worth mentioning: the tide has swept away from a focus on the community HERE to a focus on local communities. We have some 1,500 affililates or something, which means that virtually everyone who wants to CrossFit can do it locally. Moreover, in almost all cases they have local websites, which act to tie things together.

A conservative guess is that there are some 10,000 people doing some type of CrossFit workout daily, but there are only a few hundred people posting here, as far as I can tell. Certainly it's not 10,000.

Do with this comment what you will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilhelm View Post
I think Barry's observation is this: As the number of affiliates grows, so does the number of 'local' CrossFitters. However, these 'local' CFers don't generally hang out on the main site or this board. So the percentage of overall CFers that those properties serve is shrinking.
Quote:
There was a time when this Board WAS CrossFit. That time has passed. It could disappear tomorrow, and 90% of the people who do CrossFit would be unaffected, since their WOD's are local. The organism has evolved.
So what you're both saying is that crossfit.com, CFHQ and ultimately Coach are going to become irrelevant for the majority of people who do CrossFit?

Next you'll be saying everyone will go back to working out with their shirts on and calling this **** circuit training again and that's just crazy talk!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Not to speak for Barry, but...well...to speak for Barry, I don't think he was talking about the main page at crossfit.com. If he felt that way about the main page he most surely would have posted that thought over there. Some of you might be aware that Barry writes a comment there every now and again

Did you know that crossfit.com gets in the realm of 3 million hits per month. THREE MILLION HITS. I don't think the main page is at risk to become irrelevant.

--bingo

Old 12-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #16
Liam McKarry

Profile:

Sorry If I added confusion!

When you talk about dot com I assume you mean mainsite not message board. the loss of mainsite would be bad. The loss of the message board, whilst sad, would largely be of little consequence in the long term (IMO).

Following my friends comments (my previous post) I have been looking through the message board and must admit that some of his comments are kind of true.

He was almost bang on with most threads being questions that have been asked in different ways a number of times over.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam McKarry View Post
Sorry If I added confusion!

When you talk about dot com I assume you mean mainsite not message board. the loss of mainsite would be bad. The loss of the message board, whilst sad, would largely be of little consequence in the long term (IMO).

Following my friends comments (my previous post) I have been looking through the message board and must admit that some of his comments are kind of true.

He was almost bang on with most threads being questions that have been asked in different ways a number of times over.
The perennial problem with educational message boards; How do you get the newbies up to speed and/or teach them how to use Search.

Despite spending a lot of every day doing just that, Darned if I know!

There is an enormous amount of fantastic information already available here. I point people at various equipment related posts often, several times a week. Perhaps not quite daily.

It's just a function of having churn in the membership, the new people need to be guided to existing information. Some will find it themselves (we'll never know they exist), others will need to be taught how to Search and a very large percentage will need to be pointed directly at the info. they're looking for.
Folks will come here who are barely comfortable using a computer and for whom posting on an internet forum is a new and often frightening experience. Some may not speak English as a first language and some may be otherwise intelligent people who just can't express themselves well in writing. Some will rarely use a keyboard.
And some of the people who struggle the most and ask the most (and the "dumbest") questions are the ones who will still be here in 10 years time patiently answering the questions of the latest newbies. There's no way to know.

We all started out ignorant of CrossFit. I believe we have a debt of honour to the people who taught us to help the latest crop of beginners.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

Craig:

This is one of the most astute posts on bulletin boards I have ever seen.

Bottom line: whatever its frustrations and limitations, this board still serves a purpose, especially for newbies.. For some people, the law of diminishing returns kicks in after a few months. They move on. Or they start hanging more at affiliates or special events...and less on the board. Which is fine.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
Ron Wilhelm

Profile:

I was responsible to transferring all of the messages on our old message board system to this new platform. It was non-trivial. But my hope that was by offering a better search interface, that a lot of the golden nuggets on the board would be liberated from a crufty platform. I'd say that vision remains unrealized.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #20
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilhelm View Post
I was responsible to transferring all of the messages on our old message board system to this new platform. It was non-trivial. But my hope that was by offering a better search interface, that a lot of the golden nuggets on the board would be liberated from a crufty platform. I'd say that vision remains unrealized.
Yeah, it's a sod of a job, especially if you have to develop the tools to do the migration. It sounds like you had to? I was lucky with the BX forum, a script existed to do the heavy lifting.

But after that it's a people problem that I don't believe can be solved by technology. It takes having "people who give a s**t" around who will help out. I used to think problems could be solved by regimented processes and/or with technology, but increasingly I have come to believe in the "librarian" function, the person who gives a s**t I mentioned earlier, who has an overview, who reminds people to behave correctly, who fines you for late returns .
People are going to be people no matter how good the tools are.

With current technology at least, it's hard to replace someone who gives a s**t.

Closed Thread