CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-28-2004, 08:24 AM   #1
gaelic

Profile:  
I am new to this forum although I have been learning the various excercises and tried a few WODS. I would like to really get into Crossfit, but I have a problem. I live in an apartment and go to a commercial gym that has a cardio room and a weight room. Is a WOD nullified if I say run 400 meters and then go downstairs do 21 cleans or whatever and come back up and run another 400? Is it possible to do crossfit without a personalized gym? I would like to do Crossfit at least 4 days a week, but I don't know how practical it is with my situation. My goals are simply to be lean and strong and have staimina.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
Mike Yukish

Profile:
You can do it, no problem. Just requires some improvisation. Cardio on different floor from weights? No problem. Run from one to the other. Or skip the plastic gerbil machine and run the stairs up and down instead. Run out the front door and around the parking lot 5 times. Whatever it takes. People will look at you like a freak, but you'll be sweating and heaving, which is cool.

I've been able to do all of the workouts with minimal equipment, but the Oly lift/sprint ones are the trickiest to get in. I usually go to the gym for the olympic lifts, while doing the sprint and bodyweight workouts at the house. I have a cheapo weight set at home along with a 1/4 mile course I measured with the car odometer that will get the job done for today's 400 meter/hang clean workout. Where there's a will, there is a way.

The sandbags look like a great idea for a portable weight system.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:34 PM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I work out in a strip mall gym, and I run laps around the building. It sucks when it's cold, but c'est la vie.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:39 PM   #4
Chris Kantarjiev

Profile:

In my gym the cardio machines are spread out and the weights are centralized; today I had to walk a bit to the treadmill. I was glad to have the extra rest between rounds, to be honest - at this point, I'm going for completion, not score!

It sounds like you're not much worse off. Yeah, run the steps. That's the ticket! :-)

chris
Old 01-29-2004, 10:33 AM   #5
gaelic

Profile:  
Thanks for the input. I will make it work best I can.