CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-31-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
Kevin Weinkauff

Profile:

I am rehabbing a shoulder impingement that is feeling much better. I have read in numerous places that dips put a lot of stress on the shoulders. Do you guys think that bench dips might be a good alternative? OR maybe just avoid dips alltogether?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:09 AM   #2
Kawika Harbottle

Profile:
What kind of stress on the shoulders should you be worried about? I find more stress on my shoulders from bench dips due to my shoulders having to be "stretched" back in order to do achieve a good ROM. Whereas regular parallel dips don't place that kind of stress on my shoulders and is a more common movement when getting out of a hole, pool, cliff, etc compared to a more rear directional press felt in the bench dip. Now the bench dip is the easier chosen dip to do when doing with just yourself and the bench. Why? I figure because your weight is being supported by not just two contact points (your hands), but also your feet adding close to 1-2 extra contact points to distribute your bodyweight. CHeating? If you're already in basic shape and spend lots of time doing triceps pushdowns, it's time to do parallel dips.

Just my $0.02, but it's what I've observed.