CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 10-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #81
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: TUF 10 - heavyweights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Ferguson View Post
The conditioning of some of these fighters is terrible. Last night they could hardly lift their arms. Sad & Pathetic.
True Ned, but you kinda have to expect that, don't you? About half of these guys should actually be fighting at 205, but they're lolling around at 240-250.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 AM   #82
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Ferguson View Post
The conditioning of some of these fighters is terrible. Last night they could hardly lift their arms. Sad & Pathetic.
Ned, I also observed this but for some reason Dana White thought that fight was awesome. Dana White was going on in the after interview about how they were dropping bombs on each other the whole fight. All I saw for the whole 2nd round was two guys that could hardly lift their arms and were swatting each other in the face like some sissy girls...
Old 10-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #83
Kevin Benson

Profile:

I've watched TUF for quite a few seasons and all the competitors seem to suffer from the same lack of conditioning,compared to more seasoned and/or professional fighters have built up thier work capacity over time. Similar to CrossFit, in that newbies like myself don't have the same work capacity as top level CorssFitters.

With that said, last night's fight looked more like to fat guys in a bar fight than a legit MMA match.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #84
Matt Rexin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Ned, I also observed this but for some reason Dana White thought that fight was awesome. Dana White was going on in the after interview about how they were dropping bombs on each other the whole fight. All I saw for the whole 2nd round was two guys that could hardly lift their arms and were swatting each other in the face like some sissy girls...
The reason Dana loved the fight is that it probably brought back memories of watching two drunks in the bar swing wildly at each other and him thinking, "how can I make money off of people's love of train wreck fights?"

This season should prove to people how hard it is to find decent heavyweights with good cardio, because a stiff wind would have knocked out either of these guys had someone opened the door momentarily. The fact that these guys tanks get drained well before the end of the first round leads me to believe they will be nothing more than cannon fodder for the current roster of heavyweights.

On a different note, Marcus Jones is looking like he will allow Rampage to sneek in one win to avoid a clean sweep.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #85
Matthew Apostol

Profile:

Rampage vs. door: best fight of the episode.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #86
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Apostol View Post
really, almost looked like cardboard for a moment.

I loved the "the cheese fell off his cracker" comment. lol
Old 10-30-2009, 06:15 AM   #87
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Apostol View Post
It might be fight of the season. Are any of these goofballs actually going to fight in the UFC? That last episode was horrible.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #88
Sean Dunston

Profile:

As the episodes play out, it appears that Rampage is digging himself a deeper and deeper hole with his smack talk against Rashad. If he seriously felt the way he did about Rashad as it is being portrayed on TUF (and I don't actually think that creative editing is the cause of the vitriol), then I cannot imagine why he's "retiring" to pursue and acting career. You'd think he'd be chomping at the bit to get into the cage and settle this thing.

PS: I watched that "fight" again last night... after 3:00 in the first round, they were both totally gassed -- Mitrione looked more gassed than Junk, but Junk didn't have much offense, so maybe he just hid his exhaustion better. Mitrione's reach advantage was the difference in the stand-up and overall I think he fought a smart (though lackluster) fight. I couldn't believe that Junk only took him down once. That dude has fought in the UFC before, right? Mitrione clearly didn't want to be on the ground... and since Junk was getting his head thumped in the stand-up, the smart move (probably his only move) would've been to take him down - or attempt to take him down - whenever possible.

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 10-30-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #89
Kevin Benson

Profile:

I'd be interested to see the strength and conditioning routines of both TUF teams. Rashad brought in Johnathan Chaimberg from Adrenline Performance in Quebec. Chaimberg is GSP's strength and conditioning coach and GSP's conditioning is second to none in the MMA world. Rampage's coaches are former UFC fighters, so I'm not sure if he has anyone dedicated to strength and conditioning.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #90
Scott Moore.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Benson View Post
I'd be interested to see the strength and conditioning routines of both TUF teams. Rashad brought in Johnathan Chaimberg from Adrenline Performance in Quebec. Chaimberg is GSP's strength and conditioning coach and GSP's conditioning is second to none in the MMA world. Rampage's coaches are former UFC fighters, so I'm not sure if he has anyone dedicated to strength and conditioning.
One thing to consider is that the guys are fighting after only a couple of weeks. The winners will fight 3 fights in 6 weeks so there isn't much time for any of them to really work on conditioning except for maintaining it without draining themselves before a fight.

That being said, it's said how these (and other seasons) fighters are coming into the show with such crappy conditioning. I'd personally be embarrassed if I fought like the one of the guys in the last match. It's not like this show should be a surprise anymore, they're fighting for a guarenteed contract with the UFC and it's being shown on national television. If I was to go on the show I would be going all out with my strength and conditioning so that I was in the very best shape possible before going on TUF.

I don't know if these guys are just taking the opportunity for granted or if they think they are in better shape then they truely are but it's all just pathetic.
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36