CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
Justin McCallon

Profile:
Non-Profit Affiliate (university)

We are in the very beginning stages of possibly setting up some sort of CrossFit group at Emory University (Atlanta), and I'm interested in learning a little bit about becoming an affiliate.

How exactly does that work? What kind of standards would we need to meet, are there any payments, etc..?

Also, for a club sport to get school funding from Emory, apparently one of the requirements is that we participate in 4 "meets" per year. I'm a big fan of the competitive meet/sport side of CrossFit, but I haven't seen a ton of these outside of the CrossFit Games.

Does anyone here have experience running a university affiliate? Were you able to find ways to attend/host CrossFit meets? It seems like it would be cool to work with a couple of the other colleges (or other affiliates) to have meets..
Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
Re: Non-Profit Affiliate (university)

Justin,

Read through these links if you have not already...they should answer most of your questions:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-affiliates/affiliation.shtml (w/f safe)
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Affiliates0 (w/f safe)

Good luck!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 09-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Justin McCallon

Profile:

Oh, hah, thanks (as I slap myself)

Quote:
If I am operating not for profit, does my fee get waived?
No.

I think we could still swing the $2,000 affiliation deal (Emory gives us 3:1 for every dollar raised, and students get free use of the facilities, so our overhead is very low), but I'm wondering what the advantage of becoming an affiliate will be...

I don't care about making money off this, and we already have 3 people with level 1 certs. I don't think a link on the webpage is going to be all that helpful, and I am guessing we can get to ~20 members (which is about all we'd want given time restrictions on the facility we'd want to use) by just posting fliers for a competitive crossfitness club.

Are there benefits to paying for an affiliation for groups not interested in making profit?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McCallon View Post
Oh, hah, thanks (as I slap myself)

I think we could still swing the $2,000 affiliation deal (Emory gives us 3:1 for every dollar raised, and students get free use of the facilities, so our overhead is very low), but I'm wondering what the advantage of becoming an affiliate will be...

I don't care about making money off this, and we already have 3 people with level 1 certs. I don't think a link on the webpage is going to be all that helpful, and I am guessing we can get to ~20 members (which is about all we'd want given time restrictions on the facility we'd want to use) by just posting fliers for a competitive crossfitness club.

Are there benefits to paying for an affiliation for groups not interested in making profit?
Justin, e-mail affiliatesupport@crossfit.com and explain what you want to do/accomplish and we can give you a lot more information, particularly in relation to clubs at the university level and how you can apply to get your fee waived.

As for the benefits of affiliation, you get to use the trademark "CrossFit" -- which, if that's what you're doing and that's what you love, then it would make sense to be able to use the name. Using the term "CrossFitness" just ends up in more work for Affiliate Support and the Legal Team -- believe me. People will turn you in. Better to just set things up the right way from the get-go.

E-mail us and we'll get you all the information you need.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Max Burwick

Profile:

Justin, I am also starting a non-profit at Queens college, headquaters waved our fee for a non-profit at a university. I am having trouble with insurance from the school and I would assume that we are both facing similar obstacles. Let me know as things get moving so maybe we could share our experience and help each other out. Good Luck