CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
Michael Hill

Profile:

Regarding the 8x4, 10x3, and 10x2 workouts for powerlifting described in the May CF journal by Jason Bagwell; how much rest is taken between sets?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2005, 04:52 AM   #2
John Walsh

Profile:
He doesn't specify. I was curious as well. My assumption is 2 to 5 minutes. This is pretty standard in most PL routines. You'll need at least 2 minutes to recover so your can hit the next set.

This article piqued my curiosity because I always assumed that you could not do CF and competitive PL simultaneously. If I remember one of the boys squatted 600 in the 181 class. Not to shabby.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:25 AM   #3
Michael Hill

Profile:

My assumption based on the article was that it would be 2 minutes max rest because he said the entire workout should be kept to an hour or less and the WOD should be one that takes the athlete 15 minutes or less. Hence my logic was:
-warm-up 15 min
-WOD 15 min
-rest 5 min
-power lifting 20-25 min (8-10 sets with 2 minutes rest= about 2.5 minutes per set)
Total time = 55-60 minutes.

If this is the case it seems like a modified pavel bear program because the rest would be 2 minute or less. I know that if I went full on with most WOD's that I would need at least 5 minutes rest before the WOD and there would be some transistion (rest/set-up) time between the warm-up and the WOD. So I think it might even be less thatn 2 minute rest
Old 05-13-2005, 06:23 AM   #4
John Walsh

Profile:
This makes sense to me. You're right on the transition time. I often need 10 minutes to recover from the WOD but my warmup is usually no more than 10 minutes.

I don't know what a "pavel bear program" is but I have used heavy singles with 30 second breaks with good results. After doing the WOD for some time a two minute break between sets would seem like an eternity.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:32 AM   #5
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
I've started doing this since reading the CF Journal article. I agree with John, forcing myself to rest long enough between sets is tough. At around a minute, I start thinking that I've been standing around forever.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #6
John Walsh

Profile:
Mark,

Just curious. Are you planning on competing?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
Oh god no. I really enjoy powerlifting, but either I'm just not cut out for competing, or I've got a long way to go first. Granted I don't use any gear, but my numbers are just under IPF Class 4 (the lowest level, for those not in the know).

But this is my first time trying to combine powerlifting and crossfit, so I'm hoping it leads to good things.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
Stephen Troy

Profile:

Is Jason competing? Like John, I was under the apparently mistaken impression that CF and PL don't mix.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:32 PM   #9
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
Jason Bagwell is the coach of the Calhoun High School powerlifting team in Port Lavaca, Texas. He has his team doing Crossfit workouts on top of their powerlifting routines and this has apparently been very successful for them. His article in CFJ#33 is really intriguing. If you don't have a subscription to the journal, you really should get one. Every month has something great like this in it.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #10
Scott Shafer

Profile:
I've personally seen some of the Calhoun lifters, incuding (I'm pretty sure) the young lady pictured in the CF journal. All at meets here in TX. They are fit, and on bodyweight formula, they kick ***!

I'd be interested if Coach or Lauren could pass on Jason Bagwell's contact info - only if he desires to be contacted of course. The article definitely piqued my interest, and I'd like to ask some questions myself.

--Scott