CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 07-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Kara Govro

Profile:
Tortoise to Hare: The Slow Runner's Support Group

Support, encouragement, and deep thoughts for the new and the slow!
Click image for larger version

Name:	galapagos-tortoise1.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	4616
Because someday . . .
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brown%20Hare%20running%20&%20Canvass.jpg
Views:	4561
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	4617

Pick a distance, pick a desired pace, pick a deadline, track it here.

Last edited by Kara Govro : 07-15-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Kara Govro

Profile:
Re: Tortoise to Hare: The Slow Runner's Support Group

Me: 5', 190lbs, can run about 200m without thinking I'm going to die.

I'd like to do a 5k in October. My only goal is to run the whole thing! Alternatively I could try and do the 5 Miler in the Portland Marathon on October 3rd, though for that I'd have to set a time limit as running the whole thing would probably be a stretch.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Sign me up...Running Zero to Running Hero...

ME: 6'3", 260lbs, can also run about 200m, but I DO think I'm going to die.

I'd like to get my 5k WOD time to under 25min. Thinking by Dec 31st, 2009 seems like a good goal.

Not sure how I'm going to do it yet.

-Ryan
Old 07-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Brian Dolan

Profile:

Alright...I'm 6'2 270lbs been CF'ing for about 4 months now and my running ability has greatly inproved but still leaves something to be desired. I know that running will get easier as I become....smaller.

Anyway, I currently run the 400m portions of WODs at a 6-6.5 mph pace and generally feel good, and the 800m runs are fine at a somewhat slower pace, they typically take me about 5:00 - 6:30 depending on how my knee feels and what round I'm on. Unfortunately, running 5k is a bit much right now. I can run straight through for about 1.5 miles and then need to alternate running and walking in order to complete the distance.

My goal right now is to just run 5k straight through at a steady pace. The trick for me is to get my frakkin' diet where it needs to be...For me Lighter=Stronger=Faster!
Old 07-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Matt Hitt

Profile:

My high school wrestling coach told me I run like a labrador puppy. 8 years ago, but I still remember that day. Not a traumatic day, but one that I immediately thought of when I found this thread.

By 4/27/10: Sub 20 minute 5k. Run labrador, run.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

I love this thread! Cross Fit for the "running impaired." I hope some of my CF friends see this thread and jump on it!!!

Me....not a runner, but, signed up to do sprint triathlon at end of August, so I have to be able to run 2 miles. Been plagued with running-related injuries ever since I started to run at the end of last year

My goal...to do the run in 20 minutes. I've never even run a full mile, so I don't know how far off I am in time. Just know that if I can do a 10 minute mile, I'll be pretty happy! Sad but true
Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Ted Apollo

Profile:

that's great that you started this thread kara! its good to see nancy & ryan here! it will be interesting to see everyone's programs and their results.

i undertook the same kind of challenge myself last year (minus the support group). i was able to get my mile time down from 11:57 in july 08' to 8:30 in october 08'. i started at 285lbs in july and ended up getting down to 255lbs by october. I mixed CF 2-3 times a week with CFE 4-5 times a week. i also did a daily 'grease the groove' type of challenge over that time. i was logging about 6 miles running and 20 miles biking a week. the interval training really helped keep my mileage down while making gains.

this really gets me motivated to go out and get my mile time on my run for a benchmark. i have been doing alot of strength training and i know those heavy squats have deadened the legs a bit. my bike times are still improving, but i need to ramp up my running so i am in.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:04 AM   #8
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

YAY, I'm in!

I have my running saga posted in other threads throughout the board, but I am a former (relatively) fast runner who is now slow. I played soccer, never learned good running form and got a lot of knee and ankle injuries.

The only running I have done in the last 5-6 years has been since April. I did 2 weeks of running 1-2 miles a day, thinking I would train for a 5k, and ended up with patella femoral syndrome. Stopped running April 17 and didn't run again until my first day at my CF box on June 3. So, my running since June 3 has consisted of 200, 400, and 800m runs on WODs, plus running a mile twice in July.

Mile time on April 5 = 11:00
Mile time on July 5 = 8:51

These two trials were run on different courses, but they were both run on FLAT courses. Even our 200m run at our box has a slight hill. I hate hills.

So, I am not currently the slowest person on the planet, although I am probably the slowest person at my box. I am dead last in every WOD. It is annoying. I do not think I will ever love running, but I do love CF and hate to suck at anything.

My plan is to work with the running/endurance coach at my box to create a 6 week running plan where I am running 2-3 times per week (mainly intervals like CFE). I'm doing the WOD at the box 3 times per week, so this is do-able without me overtraining. I spoke to her about this last night. She runs like the wind and is on a quest for a sub-5 minute mile (eek!).

There is a 5k here on September 12, and I think I am going to enter. I would love to run sub-30:00 in that, but I don't know how reasonable that is because all of the 5k courses here are darn hilly. Also, 3.1 miles is reeeeaaaally far for where I am at right now with running. Even with soccer, we trained mostly sprints and then slower runs of maybe 2 miles...that was a long time ago. The longest distance I ever ran was a half-marathon when I was 17, and I'm 33! Egads.

I have a pair of Puma Salohs on the way. I'm definitely going to be working on POSE with my coach. It's either that or end up with more knee injuries.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:49 AM   #9
Ryan Lynch

Profile:

Ok, so my plan for the first 6 weeks (July 16th - Aug 30) is to do extra running two times a week. Already doing extra strength work and BJJ, so this may kill me, but going to give it a go.

So first extra bit will be Tabata Hill sprints. I have a seriously steep hill 50 feet from my place and have already used it for this. Just need to do it once a week instead of once a month.

2nd running WOD will be at the track. Going to do 4x 100 sprints, 2x 200 yard sprints and 1x 440 yard sprints (once around track). That works out to 3/4 a mile (about) a week at top speed. Full recovery between efforts (2-4 min rest anyway).

Got about a 30sec 100yard, 1.10 200 yard, and 3:20 400 yard (fresh)

I'll re-evaluate 3 weeks in and maybe move an 800 in there...we'll see. First step is get out there on a regular basis and get the feet moving.

Oh, and FOCUS on the POSE method for all running...got to have good form and all out effort.

-Ryan
Old 07-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Lynch View Post
Ok, so my plan for the first 6 weeks (July 16th - Aug 30) is to do extra running two times a week. Already doing extra strength work and BJJ, so this may kill me, but going to give it a go.

So first extra bit will be Tabata Hill sprints. I have a seriously steep hill 50 feet from my place and have already used it for this. Just need to do it once a week instead of once a month.

2nd running WOD will be at the track. Going to do 4x 100 sprints, 2x 200 yard sprints and 1x 440 yard sprints (once around track). That works out to 3/4 a mile (about) a week at top speed. Full recovery between efforts (2-4 min rest anyway).

Got about a 30sec 100yard, 1.10 200 yard, and 3:20 400 yard (fresh)

I'll re-evaluate 3 weeks in and maybe move an 800 in there...we'll see. First step is get out there on a regular basis and get the feet moving.

Oh, and FOCUS on the POSE method for all running...got to have good form and all out effort.

-Ryan

nice ryan! looks like a good plan.

remember that 'slow, long' runs can be used as 'active' rest. so on a rest day you can do a light jog @ 50% which will actually be beneficial for your recovery from strength & CF wods. getting the blood flowing is a great way to help your body move the toxins out of your body.

you might want to look at the CFendurance page once in awhile for some different interval wods. different types will create different responses in your body. i really like the ladder runs: 1min on, 1 min off, 1 min on, 50 sec off, 1 min on, 40 sec off, 1 min on, 30 sec off, 1 min on 20 sec off, 1 min on, 10 sec off, then go back up the ladder until you finish with 1 min on, 50 sec off, 1 min on.