CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 07-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Chris Puckett

Profile:
Crossfitters in kauai?

Anyone Crossfitting on Kauai in the next few weeks?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
dale milam

Profile:
Re: Crossfitters in kauai?

since this was asked back in July, any fellow CrossFitters there now?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Chris Puckett

Profile:

dont know, but I found a great strong man gym in Port Allen in July, down the street from McDonalds in the industrial park on the southwest part of the isalnd(close to Poipu, too far from Princeville). Your better off just taking sandbags in your suitcase...
Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Ben Chapman

Profile:

Curious to find out more about this. I'll be there for about a month and need something aside from surfing to keep it up.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
Michael Latch

Profile:

I will be in Kauai December 12th through the 16th...any other Crossfitters visiting the island then?
Old 12-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Michael Latch

Profile:

Ok, back from Kauai...

Stayed at the St. Regis in Princeville...nice place, a bit too shi shi for us, but definitely nice. Freakin' unbelievable view from our room, great breakfast every morning, but I took one look at the "Fitness Center" and almost puked. Some little Pilates contraption, a few Swiss balls, a few dumbbells, and a few treadmills.

Better bet...from the St. Regis, there's a jogging path (4 miles round trip) with a Pullup Bar/Dip Station at the halfway point. Not decent for Kipping Pullups, but ok for Strict. I only did Dips.

Did a Trail Run up Powerline Road...pretty cool...got spooked by hunters in the area, didn't want to get mistaken for feral pig, so turned back early. Did the same section twice though, for 55-minute total running time.

Hiked Napali Coast, took about 5 hours including stops at the beach, waterfall, etc.

Went back the next day and ran it...valet guys said it would take 2.5 hours minimum, I made it my goal to prove them wrong and ran to the waterfall and back in 1:54:36.

Couldn't find a barbell on the island. Valet guys didn't even know of a gym. There's a YMCA down in Lihue, if you stay on the south side of the island you can probably find something...

There's a Gracie Jiujitsu school in Princeville; well, really it's somebody's house with a Gracie Jiujitsu sign at the end of the driveway. I stopped by once to see what was up, but nobody was there.

That's about it...if you go to Kauai, don't expect a Crossfit gym, don't expect a Globogym that you can invade, don't waste your time in the hotel fitness room...but run, and hike, and do calisthenics, and snorkel, and have sushi at Hanalei Dolphin, and try some of the locally brewed Hawaiian beers (Kauai Sunset was my fave!)

If you find this thread and have specific questions, hit me up, I'll be happy to help.

Mike in L.A.
www.valleycrossfit.com
Old 12-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
John Lovins

Profile:

Thanks for the tips.. We're going next Sept for 2 weeks. 1 week in poipu and 1 in princeville. Plan on lots of running, swimming and def. bringing my rogue rings.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hi John,

I've been to Kauai several times and there is a gym in Port Allen (southern part of Kauai) that has rings, rope, medicine balls, pullup bars and free weights. The folks I spoke to knew about CrossFit and did the WODs in the gym. It is located across the street from the mall that sells tickets for the Napali whale watching tours. If you find the chocolate shop (where they make the best chocolate in front of you) look across the street to the Red Dirt outlet store. Walk through the Red Dirt store and you will see a warehouse with "gym" scrawled on a sign. I have not been able to find a website for that gym.

Here are a couple places with weights that I have not yet attended. I'm usually too busy running, swimming, using my sandbag and bodyweight exercises to need a gym. I am in training for the Arnold Classic Powerlifting meet in March and I will be finding different gyms where I can squat, bench and deadlift this January/February:

http://www.kauaiathleticclub.com/

http://kauai24hourgym.com/services.htm - this place advertising that they have free weights, climbing rope, rings, tires and pegboard!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
John Lovins

Profile:

Thanks for the links Kelly!

Good luck at the Arnold!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
Chris Puckett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
Hi John,

http://kauai24hourgym.com/services.htm - this place advertising that they have free weights, climbing rope, rings, tires and pegboard!
this is the place I have been too, and if your need a barbell fix, this is your place. They are crossfit friendly, but its not set up like a box so you cant just drop in and do Helen very easily. That said, I bring ironmind sandbags in my suitcase, and do that on the beach which is fun. And like earlier comments, just go there expecting to connect with nature with everything they have to offer. Running napali is a great option, ocean swimming/sports, hiking, climbing etc.. Learn a new sport, try new things. Its a good break from the box, just dont eat too many Spam McGridles or Poi.