CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-18-2005, 09:41 PM   #1
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
I want to begin integrating interval workouts during the week to supplement the WOD. I need guidance in selecting the best exercise to achieve the best results.I have decided that running,swimming, biking, rope skipping and
the C2 machine meet my needs. But I am uncertain of the utility of the other"cardio" machines tht are in the gym such as the Versaclimber, Stairclimber, Cross Country Skiing machine and the Upper Body Exercise machine, Are any of these appropriate for metabolic conditioning workouts?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:21 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Tom,

Out of the options you list, I'd say the versaclimber would be worth adding to the other exercises you've already selected - it's full body and involves hip and leg extension - something that can't be said of the other options with the possible exception of the cross country skiing machine, but I doubt that would be as intense.

Speaking of intensity, once a certain level of skill is reached with rope skipping, the exertion level drops off dramatically, unless you're including double unders. Biking also has certain drawbacks (alluded to below).

Having said all of this, I'm curious, Tom, as to why you're looking to do intervals outside the WOD? Are you training for a sport? If you're looking for an added cardio benefit, it may help to remember that many CFers are 'discovering' a 'special' type of cardio derived from the functional movements used in the WOD that has a broader applicability than anything developed using traditional cardio modes of training.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 01-19-2005, 03:42 AM   #3
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
Hi Ryan
I am in the process of selecting a martial arts studio to begin training. Therefore, I am not training for a sport at the moment.
Ryan I want to thank you for the direction you provided with your last comment. I have altered my reason for wanting to use the eqipment mentioned. I would like to begin using equpment I have on hand at home(bicyle)or
at the gym(various cardio equipment and swimming pool) to create my own WOD's. I would also like to do more WOD's at the track which would require no equipment which would allow me to get a break from recreational gym environment. The bicycle would allow me to accomplish this aim as well. I want to do WOD's that involve activities other than running and the use of the C2 once in a while.
Regarding running I would like to occasionally sprint some hills or the track actually feeling reasonably fast. I would be able to accomplish this by keeping the distance shorter than 400M and not having to do the rumn after a set of overhead squats. A series of bursts on the bike might be fun too. This could be done on a rest day to avod the effort compromising my performance in the WOD.
Thanks for you help Ryan
Old 01-19-2005, 07:17 AM   #4
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I would most definitely second Ryan's nomination of the VersaClimber. In fact, the VC is my next piece of gear for my home gym. IMO, it's one of the best cardio machines out there. UBE is also a good choice. I think one of the benefits (in a way) of these machines is that they're often little-used ('cause they ain't easy), so doing intervals or circuits with them generally works because you won't find a lot of competition for them.

I also have a special place in my heart for swimming.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Tom - Matt and his Clint Eastwood eyes make a good point about the availability of the devices you speak of. There may very well be a directly inverse relationship between the utility of the exercise and the frequency of its practice in most public exercise facilities. If there is a line for the equipment you're probably better off with something else. The C2's and Versa Climbers always seem to be available while the recumbant bikes seem to need a sign up board. By mid-February the resolutioners will be gone and gyms across America will be much less crowded.

I have a Concept 2 rower and it is fabulous. I have a climbing machine too but it is not the VersaClimber brand. I like the C2 better but the VC is still terrific...especially with a pack or weight vest on. Not a big fan of that arm bicycle thing. Do pullups. If you already have a...wait a sec. I just looked at your post again, you're not stocking your own gym, you're just making choices about which equipment to use. Much easier question.

The order in which you have listed the equipment in your first post is exactly how I would rate them in order of utility. Rate them yourself by using each of them. If you get smoked on the machine after only a few minutes of use I would suggest adding that machine to your list.

I am a big fan of kettlebells. Sadly you are very unlikely to find them in your local YMCA. You can do KB movements with dumbbells and work them into a very effective cardio circuit. Even though I am a triathlete and still do the LSD stuff (as in Long Slow Distance - not Timothy Leary) I agree with Ryan's point about the broader applicability of more intense cardio training. Use the Tabata protocol, or hammer out Chelsea for 30 minutes...you'll get all the cardio you can stand. For general fitness across a broad range of athletic applications high intensity is the way to go. But if you want to go under 5:15 in a half-Ironman, you're going to have to get in the mileage.

Swimming. Seems like every post you see with both Matt and me making entries, we will steer things toward swimming. Fantastic exercise. Don't worry about trying to do a circuit with this. If you are unfamiliar with how to structure a workout look around on some of the exercise posts where you see swimming in the title.

Matt. My wife thinks you're hot. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:03 PM   #6
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
Matt and Eugene
I am thinking that it would be best if I did most of my workouts focusing on development of the phosphagen and the glycolyctic systems. I would on a rare occasion utilize intervals working the oxidative system. Do you think I am going in the right direction?
Eugene I like the ideas of employing the Tabata protocol and doing a circuit of Kettlebell exercises with dumbells. Thanks for the suggestions. By the way I enjoyed the Timothy Leary reference.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:40 AM   #7
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Tom...

Well, the "right direction" with respect to what? Do I think you should focus on phosphagen/glycolytic...or will the exercises/format you've chosen improve your phosphagen/glycolytic (which is more a question of format than exercise)?

Not knowing what your end goal is, I'm kinda reluctant to lay a yes/no on you.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
My aim is to occasionally create my own WOD's using "cardio" equipment other than that chosen by Coach. My goal is to best follow the direction laid down by Coach in the "what is fitness" article
Old 01-20-2005, 10:43 AM   #9
Beth Moscov

Profile:
But what is your goal in choosing to use cardio equipment instead of the WOD as written? Is it simply that that equipment is around? Or do you have a fitness goal in doing this that the WODs as written can't meet?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:45 PM   #10
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
Beth I plan on using the Versaclimber occasionally in place of the treadmill and the C2 rower for three reasons. It is always available so I won't have to worry about the new year's resolutioners taking up the equipment during a round. It would be nice to have a change of pace. It would allow me to work on improving my performance on a new piece of equipment. Finally, it would allow me to push my body in a novel way. I hope this would translate in further fitness gains.