CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-16-2003, 08:30 PM   #1
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
When people post I've noticed designations under their names. I'm wondering what they mean and how a person moves up in rank, ie
junion member
intermediate member, etc.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:09 PM   #2
Justin Rawley

Profile:

It is simply the message board provider's built in way of keeping track of how many posts a user has made. The more you post and the more often, the faster your "membership" status changes. Generally people with "higher" status have been around a while but really the "status" is meaningless except maybe for crossfit site admins to monitor the volume of traffic on the board - or more likely it is usefull to whatever provider supplied the message board for statistical purposes.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:52 AM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

I'll second what Justin is saying . . . somehow I've reached the status of "Senior Member" without actually becoming as fit as I want, and without having any real wisdom (that I'm aware of).

All it really means is that I'm opinionated, and I post a lot (like this one, for instance).

You'll pretty quickly figure out whose posts carry real weight . . . regardless of their status.

Dave
Old 08-17-2003, 06:53 AM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

See how much it means? I can't even remember if my status is "Senior" or "Advanced" . . . maybe "Senior Moment" is the most accurate . . .
Old 08-17-2003, 07:24 AM   #5
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Dave,

I enjoy reading your posts. Informative, good-spirited, and genuine - you are one of the names I look for on this board!:talker:
Old 08-17-2003, 04:17 PM   #6
Jeff Reiser

Profile:
I second that. Actually, that I can think of, I like hearing from everyone.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:36 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Kelly, and Jeff:

Thank you for your kind words. I'll vote with Jeff . . . I like to read just about anything relative to CrossFit. I'm not posting much (or even working out much) these days . . . a whole lot of job-related and family-related issues have come together at the same time, and working out has to drop down in my priority list for a while. Maybe by middle September (another montth) I'll be on top of things again and doing the WOD daily.

I especially like to read people's posts of their WOD performance in the daily comments. It doesnt' matter how the performance ranks in comparison to others . . . (and sometimes mine are just plain "rank").

Completing a WOD is an accomplishment, and means that on that day, at least, the person doing it is getting better, not sliding downhill. (This has become painfully obvious to me over the last 3 weeks, as I know I've lost some ground.)

Reading what Kelly (siameeser) does, or what any one of a dozen or so "regulars" are doing, gets me fired up every time. Hearing what people found difficult, or the adaptations they made, lets me know how to prepare myself.

I made a deal with myself a while back to post EVERY day I do the WOD, whether good, bad, or indifferent. Having to post a crappy performance motivates me to do better (and sometimes it motivates me to work harder in the WOD itself, since I know I'm gonna have to post it). Getting to post a good one motivates me to get better yet.

I know I have to post honestly because someday, someone else from the NJ area here (outdoorjunkie?) will connect up and want to train together, and not even God will help me then if I've been lying about my performances.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:52 PM   #8
Ross Burke

Profile:
Dave, do you live near Short Hills, New Jersey?
Old 08-23-2003, 06:54 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Not really (although my 12-year old daughter LOVES the Short Hills Mall!) (for non-NJ folks, think of the ritziest, trendiest, most expensive, filled-with-absolutely-nothing-useful mall you can think of . . . and then double it . . . I always feel that I'm just, well, too OLD to be seen there.)

I live out in "West Jersey" (if there is such a thing), near Lebanon or Clinton (head west on Route 78). I train mostly at the Somerset Valley YMCA in Somerville.

How about yourself?

Dave
Old 10-01-2003, 06:00 PM   #10
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
my personal interpretation of crossfit membership is just let your fellows know how the pain is from time to time, as in share the pain. anyone up for ultrarunning? plan to start with the crown king 50k in march, '04. they are all over the country so maybe some of us can hook up at these events. my email is ctchafire6@aol.com