CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Paul Coplin

Profile:
Re: Torn Shoulder Labrum Surgery and Recovery

I'm debating right now whether to have this surgery (trim and clean out).

I've had pain since last October in the front of my shoulder in the joint. Doctor says AC joint is inflamed, bit no other issues seen on MRI. been on PT since January, had a cortisone shot in Feb. I haven't done any overhead exercises or pushups during that time, and was progressing well.

However, I had a couple classes last month (wildland fire), a CPAT physical test, and a smoke diver class. After the smoke diver class a few weejs ago, my shoulder was back to square one, very imflamed. I say my doctor this morning, and with my career choice of a firefighter (currently volunteer and testing for several departments) he thinks that it will never be fully recovered without this surgery. I expect to be hired this upcoming fall at the soonest, or late next year at the latest.

Anyone have any advice?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #12
Justin Lascek

Profile:

This sounds like a boat load of fun (like a free boat ride for three).

The prognosis you've received covers the doctor's tooshie. Maybe this will point you in the right direction concerning your rehab: your body doesn't move in isolation.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Rob Goodwin

Profile:

Shoulder surgery is an injury itself until healed. It can go from acute immediately following the procedure to chronic during the healing process and thereafter.

The same issues of Rest - Icing - Compression still apply.

You might benefit from an ice compression shoulder wrap to speed the healing and will find it useful after heavy shoulder workouts. Don't bother with the cheap ones, or ones that have inserts as there is no compression. Also, the combination heat/ice wraps are a total compromise and don't do a compleete icing.

The good ones have the gels sewn in and are made of neoprene.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
Davis Hart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Mendoza View Post
Mark,

I think it was just over time. The one movement that really set it off was HSPU's on parallettes and muscle ups in excess of 30.
Gabe, I too did damage to my shoulder trying HSPUs on parallettes. One day, I did 10 of them and the next I could not do much of the press/push press/jerk WOD. Fortunately, my injury doesn't sound as bad as yours, but the diagnosis from the ortho is that recovery will be 4-6 months with 2-3 of those with no running. I did 6 months of PT, worked on it on my own this spring, and have finally decided, with the agreement of the ortho, to do the surgery. I'll do it in Oct. so that I can get outdoors this summer, but I am not looking forward to it.

Best luck in your recovery, and take it slow.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
Kathy Jennings

Profile:

I hope someone is still interacting with this topic. I had shoulder surgery 6 wks ago now to repair a bankart injury, repair a partially torn biceps tendon and to remove a bone spur that was cutting my rotator cuff. Progress has been very very slow. The pain that I have after my phase II exercises has left me with the fear that I may have torn out the anchors that were put in there (3 of them). Any input would be greatly appreciated......thanks in advance
Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #16
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Jennings View Post
I hope someone is still interacting with this topic. I had shoulder surgery 6 wks ago now to repair a bankart injury, repair a partially torn biceps tendon and to remove a bone spur that was cutting my rotator cuff. Progress has been very very slow. The pain that I have after my phase II exercises has left me with the fear that I may have torn out the anchors that were put in there (3 of them). Any input would be greatly appreciated......thanks in advance
Talk to your doctor and/or physical therapist.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #17
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Jennings View Post
I will be bugging you in a couple of weeks... slated for my repair soon.
Same situation as you it sounds.. i got two bone spurs and my bicep tendon is held together with old old scar tissue. funny it wasnot ever a problem before.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 PM   #18
Kathy Jennings

Profile:

I have put a call into my surgeon. Unfortunately he won't be back in until Monday. I am hoping that all is good. Just have pain with movement as I have read seems to be par for the course. Of course I am older than most on this blog I would assume, so my healing process will probably be slower. Just am eager to get back into the swing of things. Exercise of trying to bend arm behind my back is what got me. Hopefully the 3 anchors are still intact.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #19
Kathy Jennings

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
I will be bugging you in a couple of weeks... slated for my repair soon.
Same situation as you it sounds.. i got two bone spurs and my bicep tendon is held together with old old scar tissue. funny it wasnot ever a problem before.
Good luck to you! Be sure to have things lined out that you can easily access with one hand. I tried to think about these kinds ahead of time. It really helped.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #20
Steven Low

Profile:

Did your surgeon use biodegradable anchors?

Pain may not necessarily be a bad thing. Depends on where it is.

But yeah, get it checked out just in case...