CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #51
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Re: Strength Training and a six minute mile

Thanks Christin.

I've pulled a 347 (no belt at a meet) and a 360 (belt at a meet) sumo in the past after training for the lift. I've been focusing on standard stance lately to bring it up, but with 8-12 weeks of training my sumo pull should be back up to those numbers. Deadlifts like me - they don't fade away quick!

Kelly was today's WOD. Tried using a 12# medicine ball but that stopped fast after four reps. WAY too painful. My thumb simply can not handle trying to open fully or the impact. It's getting better but it's not ready for this.

100 65# thrusters for time - 9:10. All reps were an honest overhead lockout.

This was interesting - my shoulders have been so tight that I've been having real trouble getting 100% overhead with my lockouts and I can't even OH squat a 45# bar anymore because my shoulders are locked. My Rolfer had me show her my overhead range of motion....when she showed me what she could easily do I was stunned. I had NO idea how limited my motion had become. She proceeded to work on my lats and I was in real agony. She finished about an hour later and I was able to put my arms straight overhead. No motion beyond that, but it was a huge improvement. My lats and upper back are so strong and the tissue so twisted that it is limiting my shoulder ROM. At least my chest is no longer the issue with my shoulders (that agony was every bit as horrible as having my lats worked on); one down....

Unfortunately, I saw a good number of competitors at the Regionals exhibiting the same ROM limitations during overhead lockouts....many of them had to stick their chins forward so they could meet the judging standard for the lockout. It has me worried.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #52
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
Hey Camille - I think I could be competitive. I won't beat a 259# squat right now (probably 240-245), but I'm already touch and go benching 145x5x5 and my sumo deadlift is usually around 330. It could be interesting based on the 2008 results.

Today's WOD:

30 Muscle-ups for time

Hand can't take that kind of abuse for time; did 10 sets of 3 reps instead, icing my hand between sets. Full MUs with each rep starting with straight elbows at the hand to straight elbows at support back to straight elbow hang each rep. Very strong and easy sets.

4x90 sec POSE repeats @ .65 tempo
1x6 minute POSE run @ .67 tempo

Feeling tired....weight is down to 113. Not eating enough.
EAT!
I'd love to see a 330 dl.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #53
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hey Camille,

Your wish is my command LOL!

I'm really starting to look hard at entering the PL meet....I really won't have had time to train for it, but it looks like fun and I haven't done a meet in years.

Hmmm. Looking at the entry form I need to have lifted in a sponsored meet before entering this meet. I don't know if I can find a meet before the Nationals, but if things work out I'm gettting close to tossing my hat in the ring. I also need to check to make sure I'm not already scheduled to be somewhere that weekend.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #54
Kelly Moore

Profile:

At Carousel Carving school for another week of making a big chunk of wood into little pieces of wood. Not much equipment or time available so it's time to improvise.

There is a little hell hill behind the motel that beckoned to me this morning:

10 hill sprints from bottom curb to stop sign. All sprints had to all out efforts with a 1 minute walk back to the bottom of the hill to rest. This should have been a quick workout so I could get on the road to school.

Eight rounds at 13 seconds, the last two at 14 seconds.

This was absolute hell. While the first several rounds weren't bad, by the last two I was in trouble and taking another 15 seconds to recover at the bottom of the hill. At the end of round ten I was dry heaving in the grassy area close to the stop sign (very unpleasant for all the folks leaving the motel). I staggered back to the lobby and had to make an emergency lobby restroom visit before riding the elevator back to the room. Sprints and high rep heavy squats are the only two things I know will do this to me. Why I managed to forget this morning I will never know. Ended up late for the carving class as a result.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:55 AM   #55
Camille Lore

Profile:  

That would be way cool to see-you in a PL meet. I'd take a drive down for that!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #56
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
This was absolute hell. While the first several rounds weren't bad, by the last two I was in trouble and taking another 15 seconds to recover at the bottom of the hill. At the end of round ten I was dry heaving in the grassy area close to the stop sign (very unpleasant for all the folks leaving the motel). I staggered back to the lobby and had to make an emergency lobby restroom visit before riding the elevator back to the room. Sprints and high rep heavy squats are the only two things I know will do this to me. Why I managed to forget this morning I will never know. Ended up late for the carving class as a result.
Wow... what a great picture you paint. Good times, good times!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:15 AM   #57
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hey Camille,

I'm trying to get in contact with the man running the Badger Open meet June 13 to make sure I can get in...no answer so far.

I would love a cheering section at the Nationals!

Yeah, that running workout was a thing of beauty all right....

3am hotel room workout while attending carousel carving class...can't sleep, too much pent up energy:

10 rounds for time:
10 door pullups
10 V-ups

19:03.

Door pullups done using Lifeline USA's Jungle Gym. Rotating handles coupled with dragging thighs up and down the door made for tough going. Obviously no kipping - felt like pullups with an extra 10-15# of weight. Thumbs touched shoulders at the top and straight elbows at the hang each rep. V-ups also got rough in a hurry; it's been a while since I've done them. No boucing from the floor for momentum. Heels and hands had to touch the floor and hands had to touch above the knees for a rep to count.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #58
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Returning home from another outstanding week at Joe Leonard's carousel carving school in Ohio. Again I learned more in five days learning from a master carver than I learned in five years picking away on my own. More than halfway finished with the horse body now - I should be able to finish the body with 25ish more hours. Then on to the tail and legs. My next project with be either another horse with more intricate trapping or a giraffe head and neck. I have a very lion in the works as well.

Woke up too late to attempt those hellish hill sprints at the Streetsboro hotel again, so I'm doing the "Hotel Lynne" WOD instead in Fremont Indiana:

5 rounds with 3 minute break between couplets:

Door pullups
Feet elevated chair pushups

18/27
15/22
13/20
10/16
10/15

Door pullups using Lifeline USA's Jungle Gym. Rotating handles and dragging thighs up and down the door really makes these butt kickers. Full extension at hang and thumbs had to touch shoulders each rep.

Feet on bed, hands on corners of chairs. Full extension and shoulders below hands each rep.

Lats, traps and grip still sore from the previous door pullup WOD.

Finished with Tabata Treadmill Hell. Incline set at 12 degrees, speed at seven. The speed is relative as every machine is different, but if I'm starting to feel it after round two I know it's about right. I definitely felt it - by the time rounds seven and eight came around I was desperate and struggling. Almost got tossed off the back on round eight, but somehow managed to hang on for the 20 seconds. Ended on my knees gasping and half dazed for a couple minutes. Calves and butt dead.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #59
Kelly Moore

Profile:

OK...I am sending in my entry for the USAPL Badger Open meet on June 20. Very short notice for entering a powerlifting meet, but I need it to qualify for the Raw Nationals at the end of July.

Back sore from two days of sitting in the car traveling from the east side of Ohio back to Wisconsin; shoulders very sore from yesterday's Hotel Lynne chair pushups.

Back Squats: 205x5x3 easy
Presses: 95x5x3 easy
Old 06-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #60
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Very cool. It'll be great to see a CF chick compete in a powerlifting event!

Impressive squats.