CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #151
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: The Economics of Membership Pricing

I like the idea of the discounted "non-peak hours only" packages to offer students, etc.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #152
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Crookston View Post
I bow to your superior knowledge! I'm not an economist, and I hadn't thought of it like that before. Sounds like I might want to bump up the emergency savings to 6-9 months instead of 3-6 and whatnot.
I'm not an economist either just some observations and history I've learned....the economy at large is a BIG entity and therefore moves and responds at a lumbering pace....there will be more to come.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #153
Robert Newman

Profile:

I do see where you're coming from Tobias. Thank you for the explanation. Good luck running your gym, it sounds like it would be a ton of fun to train at.

I've only spent a month at a CF gym over the holidays, and I don't feel like I got much out of it. It was pretty much walk in, do the WOD, leave :\ Though now they've changed for the better, pretty much the month after I left.

BTW, on economics and personal savings, if I were you I'd keep a whole year in cash for a safety net. Lets you look for a job with less stress. I could fill a whole post up with rants about the economy and how horrible the policy the current administration is taking and how it's doomed to cripple our economy in the long run, but I wont
Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #154
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Newman View Post
I could fill a whole post up with rants about the economy . . . , but I wont

Good idea.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #155
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

We figured out the economics of tiered pricing awhile back and it has worked well for us and has been well received among our athletes.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #156
Matt Everhart

Profile:

Randy, care to elaborate?

We, while not yet an affiliate, offer a daily Boot Camp program, a Combatives program (Level IV instructor), and will soon offer Yoga classes.

We have just applied to be a Crossfit affiliate (wish us luck!)

Ok, so anyway, we've had pretty good luck with the Punch Card only system. They buy 10, 20, or 30 punches. Punch cards expire in 60 days. No punch card, the price is $10.00 per session.

Why does this work? Because our clients WANT to get in shape and lose weight...they see results and, natural tendencies be-damned, they get up in the morning and work out!

However, reading through this thread has definitely opened my eyes to how other operations work!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #157
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Everhart View Post
Randy, care to elaborate?

We, while not yet an affiliate, offer a daily Boot Camp program, a Combatives program (Level IV instructor), and will soon offer Yoga classes.

We have just applied to be a CrossFit affiliate (wish us luck!)

Ok, so anyway, we've had pretty good luck with the Punch Card only system. They buy 10, 20, or 30 punches. Punch cards expire in 60 days. No punch card, the price is $10.00 per session.

Why does this work? Because our clients WANT to get in shape and lose weight...they see results and, natural tendencies be-damned, they get up in the morning and work out!

However, reading through this thread has definitely opened my eyes to how other operations work!
This is our pricing structure, but are fees are not the same as these:
2 days/week
12-month membership - $159/month
6-month membership - $179/month
3-month membership - $199/month

3 days/week
12-month membership - $179/month
6-month membership - $199/month
3-month membership - $229/month

Unlimited
12-month membership - $199/month
6-month membership - $229/month
3-month membership - $249/month

Traveler Drop-In
$20/class

It is an exact replica of what Greg Everett does over at Catalyst Athletics. We ditched our Punch Card system for a number of reasons. Best move we've ever made. I even wanted to eliminate the 2x per week option, but my fiancee says keep it and we do have people that exercise that option. Hope this helped.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #158
Matt Everhart

Profile:

Sorry to pester you, but do you (or anyone else) have a recommendation on software to use to TRACK this? I'm imagining handing them a different colored membership card or something, but that doesn't keep the "Sneaky Pete" from coming in more than he's supposed to.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #159
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Everhart View Post
Sorry to pester you, but do you (or anyone else) have a recommendation on software to use to TRACK this? I'm imagining handing them a different colored membership card or something, but that doesn't keep the "Sneaky Pete" from coming in more than he's supposed to.
How many members do you have? If the number is small, you can keep it as simple as checking off boxes next to their name on a white board or enrollment card. If the number is high, you can upgrade all the way to swipe-able ID cards.

It might be useful to tolerate a certain amount of cheating. Say Mike signed up for the off-peak plan, and is usually there reliably at 11 AM. But he's got an appointment at 11 today, so he comes to the much more crowded class at 5:30 PM. If it's only once in a while, who cares. Or Jeannie is a 2x per week member, but she comes in three times this week because she knows she's going to miss a day next week. As long as it averages out over the month, you'll get more goodwill for being accommodating than you will for being strict. Which in turn will help soften the blow when you notice that Jeannie's been coming in 3x most weeks, or Mike's schedule seems to have changed permanently, and it's time to talk about upgrading their memberships.

Katherine
Old 03-27-2009, 12:37 PM   #160
Matt Everhart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
How many members do you have? If the number is small, you can keep it as simple as checking off boxes next to their name on a white board or enrollment card. If the number is high, you can upgrade all the way to swipe-able ID cards.

It might be useful to tolerate a certain amount of cheating. Say Mike signed up for the off-peak plan, and is usually there reliably at 11 AM. But he's got an appointment at 11 today, so he comes to the much more crowded class at 5:30 PM. If it's only once in a while, who cares. Or Jeannie is a 2x per week member, but she comes in three times this week because she knows she's going to miss a day next week. As long as it averages out over the month, you'll get more goodwill for being accommodating than you will for being strict. Which in turn will help soften the blow when you notice that Jeannie's been coming in 3x most weeks, or Mike's schedule seems to have changed permanently, and it's time to talk about upgrading their memberships.

Katherine
Yea I can see that....and we did tolerate the occassional "I missed one session last week, can I do three this week, instead of the normal two?" excuse when we were doing 6 Week Packages (prior to our punch card system) We basically just wrote them off since it doesn't cost us more or less (short term).

With our boot camps attendance a PITA because they're out at a park and tracking it via paperwork is major suckage.

However, when we get this affiliate up and running, I'll definitely have to revisit the papersheet idea. Imagine, something so simple as a pencil and paper...hehe.

I'm personally a big fan of options, but the whole K.I.S.S. principle really has been better for us so far.

HAS anyone seen any decline with the whole "state of the economy"? We haven't had much of a problem....yet. But, Wichita *knock on wood* hasn't been hit VERY hard so far.

Last edited by Matt Everhart : 03-27-2009 at 12:43 PM.