CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #121
Skip Chase

Profile:
Re: The Economics of Membership Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Crookston View Post
A few of the students are able to improve their [PT test] scores, but not many. The three and a half weeks of training have worn them down, and most score lower than they did on the first test.
You are correct. They wash out like dirty water. I don't know what the % are today. During the 60's it was 3-5% success.

Please note the first statement. "A few of the students are able to improve their scores...." It's always been about the few.....there are a bunch of the many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Crookston View Post
SFAS is NOT designed to make people physically stronger - quite the opposite, in fact.
Yes, it is designed to find weakness and eliminate it. No free 'flash'. Same with BUD/S. Again, in your above quote you forgot the few.

Please share with us the rest of the story. I'm very interested in the conclusions of the training. Perhaps on another thread.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #122
Daniel Crookston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Chase View Post
Please note the first statement. "A few of the students are able to improve their scores...." It's always been about the few.....there are a bunch of the many.
You're absolutely correct. But the point of SFAS and BUD/S is to break people down, and then observe them in their weakened state. The point of CrossFit is to make people stronger.

Someone said that people need rest and recovery to get stronger. Your response, in part, was "If there was evidence to back your claims, we would not have any special operations communities. They would not be able to complete SFAS/SFQC." But the existence of SOCOM doesn't stand in support of either side of the argument. Soldiers complete SFAS in spite of being worn down physically from lack of rest, not because of it.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #123
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Well, health awareness is highly correlated with income to begin with. People with more money have better insurance, more access to better-informed doctors, and more access to other sources of information. They're more likely to hold jobs with flexible schedules that let them surf the net at work, and more likely to have good internet access at home. On top of that, CrossFit's "better results in less time" argument is very powerful for affluent people. For a lawyer billing $200/hour or more, the affiliate's fee is swamped by what he can make during the time he *isn't* at the gym.

Some of it may be specific to your affiliate, too. A location in Natick or North Andover will draw a different crowd than one in Lawrence or Chelsea. (For those not familiar with the Boston area, Natick and North Andover are reasonably affluent suburbs, while Lawrence and Chelsea are more urban and working class.)

Katherine
Thats a little understated Katherine.....Lawrence and Chelsea are actually pretty poor communities, lawrence is very close to my town and a few years ago was the national capitol of arson and car theft. Chelsea is just as bad though. N. Andover is a nice place, but Andover itself is generally considered the ritzy town in the area.....Natick is near Weston (which I believe has the highest median home prices in MA) and the entire Metro area is pretty wealthy in general.

How are you so familiar with the area if you don't mind me asking?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #124
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Daigle View Post
Thats a little understated Katherine.....Lawrence and Chelsea are actually pretty poor communities, lawrence is very close to my town and a few years ago was the national capitol of arson and car theft. Chelsea is just as bad though. N. Andover is a nice place, but Andover itself is generally considered the ritzy town in the area.....Natick is near Weston (which I believe has the highest median home prices in MA) and the entire Metro area is pretty wealthy in general.

How are you so familiar with the area if you don't mind me asking?
I lived in the Boston area for almost 20 years before moving out to Seattle a couple of years ago: college in Cambridge, then an apartment in Arlington, then a house in Stoneham.

Katherine
Old 03-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #125
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Quote:
IMO, this is most concise argument from the affiliate POV in this entire thread.
As a general rule, business success comes from focusing on the customer POV.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #126
Lauren Hall

Profile:

In the interest of helpful feedback, I just wanted to drop an anecdotal account from the customer's perspective. My affiliate offers a 2x a week rate in addition to the usual. I personally do 3x a week, but do WODs at home other times, and do Oly lifting once a week.

My affiliate is 20 minutes away. For me, the unlimited is not an issue of cost but of whether I can spend 2 hours a day (getting there and back, warming up, working out, skill work, etc.) going to the gym. I can't. I'm willing to put in the money and work, but my time is a little more precious.

We've never had any problems with newbies slowing things down, though I don't know offhand how many people actually do the 2x a week option.

The overall point is that the idea that the only reason people would come 2x a week is due to laziness or not being committed is simply untrue. A successful affiliate may have the option of cutting out people who are unwilling to WO 5 days per week, but IMO the 2x a week option can be really useful for dedicated folks who either live too far away to train every day or who have other sports they're devoted to.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #127
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I lived in the Boston area for almost 20 years before moving out to Seattle a couple of years ago: college in Cambridge, then an apartment in Arlington, then a house in Stoneham.

Katherine
Oh boy the peoples republic of Cambridge haha. I take it you didn't go to Harvard, as most people that did over-advertise that fact. Stoneham is nice.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #128
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Daigle View Post
Oh boy the peoples republic of Cambridge haha. I take it you didn't go to Harvard, as most people that did over-advertise that fact. Stoneham is nice.
The most famous university in Harvard Square? No. I went to the little tech school at the other end of Mass. Ave.

Yes, Stoneham is nice. Relatively affordable, too. Nothing inside 128 is cheap, but Stoneham is much less overpriced than some.

Katherine
Old 03-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #129
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:
a crazy idea

I am among the dutiful 5-6 times per week, 6am training folk. my affiliate charges $150/month, this is the only option, and it is completely worth every penny. I started out as the guy emailing asking about drop in prices or punch-card type arrangements. a

I am now Level 1 certified and aspire to one day opening my own box, but only after training other people for a good amount of time as well as some specialty certs and hopefully a level 2.

one approach to pricing that i occasionally ponder is setting the monthly fee quite high, but then having a sliding scale based on income for those who can't afford it.

anyone out there doing something like this? any thoughts?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #130
Skip Chase

Profile:

Daniel- you wrote-"But the existence of SOCOM doesn't stand in support of either side of the argument. Soldiers complete SFAS in spite of being worn down physically from lack of rest, not because of it."

Sorry, I don't understand. SOCOM doesn't stand in support of either side of what argument? What are the sides? and, what is your reference?

My point,(which due to the flow of the thread, devolved and went way off topic) is that an individual can be conditioned physically and mentally to achieve a higher standard. The SFAS candidate has the responsibility to be physically prepared and there is a direct correlation between what they score on the APFT and the percentage of those who pass SFAS.

The intensity of the training to prepare for the SFAS far exceeds the daily physical demands of a high school football player, in season.