CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
Eric Lester

Profile:
Re: Personal Training Licensing Bill

That's a great point, Lincoln.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

Does Jersey require an endorsement to coach? I know in other states, coaches need an endorsement (usually on a valid teaching certificate). If that's the case then they would already be required to have more than this law would require. In that case, there would be little reason to make them get a different certification. They would already have to have 18+ college credits in the subject and would have passed the state's subject area exam for coaching administered by the Dept. of Ed.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Looking up some stuff quickly, it appears you don't need much training to coach sports.

"New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association Coaching Education Requirements: A coach must be a certified teacher. If no qualified and certified applicants are available, the holder of a county substitute certificate may coach." Hmmm not much there, certainly nothing at all specific to the training and care of athletes.

New Jersey also has something called the Little League Law, which grants immunity from lawsuits to volunteer sports coaches who have taken a $30 safety course.

The Maine Principals Associations , as another example, requires only that school sports coaches be high school graduates and attend the $40 UMaine/MCSC Maine Coaching Eligibility Course (can be taken online), the Maine Athletic Trainers' Association first aid course, and CPR/AED.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Mike Maddalena

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Halbfish View Post
I may have some input in NJ. If people can send me some concise (3 page or less statements) as to why this bill is bad it could be helpful
  1. First of all, being a trainer is not a clinical position, and they are trying to treat it like it is one.
  2. Most trainers don't have $5K sitting around to invest in the course, nor do they have the time to take out of their busy schedules to do so. As an affiliate owner, my business would crumble if I had to take the time to do the classes.
  3. if it were to go through (probably won't--see my previous post), many gyms, both CF and Globo-gyms will lose their training/group fitness staff--a lot are part-timers who don't make enough $$ to even justify pursuing the type of licensing required in the proposed bill
  4. if the purpose of the licensing is to provide better service to the consumer, it may defeat its own purpose, as there won't be many trainers left to service anyone. Besides, the market will always weed out the bad trainers eventually.
This may all be moot anyway, as it appears that the bill hasn't gone forward at all in NJ since October. With the thousands of bills that get presented each year, more likely than not it will die. Let's hope it does.

On another note, can you imagine a CrossFit trainer having to sit through a class where some bozo is probably teaching "junk science" about how we shouldn't do full squats with our clients--Ha!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

When they outlaw personal training without a license, I'll be an outlaw.

Seriously, too many Americans just roll over and comply with unjust laws like this, and it's caused some wicked nasty problems in this country. If enough people just ignore unjust laws that have no Constitutional basis, they'll eventually have to stop. They can't put us ALL in jail.