CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #21
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: GSP vs BJ Penn? Comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Dartt View Post
he did go on a five day vacation though. it was funny because dana had heard and was trying to get ahold of him and bust him
it was a cool show
Okay-
I watched it last night, and that was pretty funny stuff - especially his brother trying to cover his a-s-s!

I am in the camp with those of you who thought BJ should have been given the W in the first fight.

I like both of these fighters so much - I am totally torn about which I should root for during the fight.

I guess, for the sake of CrossFit, I should root for BJ. His site is linked on the CF Main Page, and he is featured in at least one video on the exercises and demo page - wfs

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...nnMuscleUp.wmv

But GSP has been on such a tear lately, that he really looks unstoppable.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #22
David Schneider

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Okay-
I watched it last night, and that was pretty funny stuff - especially his brother trying to cover his a-s-s!

I am in the camp with those of you who thought BJ should have been given the W in the first fight.

I like both of these fighters so much - I am totally torn about which I should root for during the fight.

I guess, for the sake of CrossFit, I should root for BJ. His site is linked on the CF Main Page, and he is featured in at least one video on the exercises and demo page - wfs

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...nnMuscleUp.wmv

But GSP has been on such a tear lately, that he really looks unstoppable.

I just watched it too... Good show.

I like both of these fighters too... They are both GREAT fighters.

I think GSP takes his training more seriously, which I really respect. I also admire GSP's more humble nature.

As to who's going to win... Anybody's guess. It's going to be a great fight, that's for sure. But I wouldn't be surprised to see GSP beast out.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #23
David Goldsmith

Profile:

seems like everyone on here's for GSP. Don't sleep on BJ. It should be a hell of a fight.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #24
Shawn Casey

Profile:

GSP's wrestling has greatly improved since there last fight. I love them both but I'm going for BJ Penn.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #25
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Casey View Post
GSP's wrestling has greatly improved since there last fight. I love them both but I'm going for BJ Penn.
Which already overwhelmed Penn in the first match.....GSP takes because he is the more improved fighter...And I love Penn but he talks to much ****
Old 01-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #26
Kim Layton

Profile:

Tough to pick because they're both unreal. But i gotta go GSP. He learned his lesson (Matt Serra) and I don't think that will be happening again...BJ doesn't seem to have learned anything. Party party party - and lets be real here, an angry Sherk is nothing compared to GSP on a tear.

Remember a couple of things as well...Blood doesn't mean anything. Look at guys like Forrest or Joe Stevenson, they bleed like stuck pigs almost every fight. Stitch (the main corner guy) has said that he knows if a guy is going to bleed when he puts the vaseline on their face and although it may look like a clear cut win, blood doesn't mean anything. GSP had a couple mouses and his nose was broken very early - if you see some of the shots and listen to Rogan, BJ caught him right on the tip of the nose HARD. Take away the nose bleed and it wouldn't have looked near so bad.

The first fight was a split decision. In other words, it came down to what each judge saw and what damage they felt was being incurred. Takedowns count HUGE. Why do you think so many people o for a takedown at the end of a round...trying to solidify that points that the other guy can't get back rather than a flurry of points from both fighters. If you can't defend it you will probably lose - it just comes down to a point thing. Every takedown is points every punch is not...even if it does connect. It may look big on tv but at a different angle it barely gets them.

My thoughts after watching it when it happenend is that it could have gone either way (similar to Forrest / Tito and many others) and it did. My wife asked who won that fight after it was over and this is what I told her: Laying on your back doesn't show dominance / ring control. 1st round went to BJ, round two goes either way (and clearly it did) and third goes to GSP...hence the split.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #27
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

I'm of the school of thought, that unless you pull of submissions, or near submissions from the bottom, getting taken down means you're losing the round. Nullyfying their attack with guard, rubber guard, etc is not dominating a fight, it's what you're supposed to do when on your back. Having come from a wrestling/Judo background, when i started doing JJ I couldn't understand the urge so many had to deliberatly choose their back to fight off of. Early JJ fighters never thought of the back as the preferred place to fight from.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #28
Cheryl Schaan

Profile:

I am sooo excited to watch the fight!! I am a 33 yr old mom of 2 and watching these guys makes me so motivated to work out~
Old 01-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #29
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Funny, my wife seems to really like The UFC everytime GSP is on...it is really weird
Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #30
Robert Laken

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
Funny, my wife seems to really like The UFC everytime GSP is on...it is really weird
Maybe it's the french accent..does she like Pepe Le Pew?