CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Steve Sheffar

Profile:
GSP vs BJ Penn? Comments?

I am not a technical guy when it comes to MMA. However I have a bad feeling for this match up. GSP is an animal and so is BJ. GSP is my choice because he is Canadian and one tough fighter.

Can people offer fight perdictions and reasons please so I can learn more?

Thank you.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Sean Ploskina

Profile:
Re: GSP vs BJ Penn? Comments?

I am going with GSP on this. I still haven't seen BJ really pushed since he decided to really focus so there is no telling what his cardio is like. I believe now GSP has got his head on straight which is scary. The only place that I would give BJ the advantage is in his gaurd. GSP is better standing, vastly better at takedowns, and if BJ uses his crazy takedown defense and they end anywhere other than his gaurd GSP will GNP. But then again I've been wrong before.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Ploskina View Post
I am going with GSP on this. I still haven't seen BJ really pushed since he decided to really focus so there is no telling what his cardio is like. I believe now GSP has got his head on straight which is scary. The only place that I would give BJ the advantage is in his gaurd. GSP is better standing, vastly better at takedowns, and if BJ uses his crazy takedown defense and they end anywhere other than his gaurd GSP will GNP. But then again I've been wrong before.

I would disagree that GSP is better standing. Bj has underrated stand up and hits really hard. I am however picking GSP to win but this for sure could go either way. Also, BJ is dangerous every where on the ground, not just guard, actually i would argue that is where GSP wants to be so he can control the fight and use his superior wrestling.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Chris Valine

Profile:

Did any of you watch the last time they fought?? BJ beat GSP's face to a bloody pulp in the first two rounds and somehow lost the decision without a mark on him. Personally I think he got robbed. It was very controversial. After losing a decision like that I think he is more determined and more motivated to train harder and better prepare himself for this fight so that it doesnt have to go to a decision. His stand up is better than most people believe and he is amazing on the ground. Im picking BJ to win this very close fight.

Either way it is going to be exciting and I cant wait to watch it.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Valine View Post
Did any of you watch the last time they fought?? BJ beat GSP's face to a bloody pulp in the first two rounds and somehow lost the decision without a mark on him. Personally I think he got robbed. It was very controversial. After losing a decision like that I think he is more determined and more motivated to train harder and better prepare himself for this fight so that it doesnt have to go to a decision. His stand up is better than most people believe and he is amazing on the ground. Im picking BJ to win this very close fight.

Either way it is going to be exciting and I cant wait to watch it.
I think I read somewhere that after their last fight "BJ was in a club and GSP was in the hospital" or some such. Should be a great fight.

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 01-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Scott Borre

Profile:

BJ's fitness training sucks, but I think he's more talented than GSP. Should be a great fight!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Anthony DiSarro

Profile:

BJ is amazing but his training has been suspect in the past. Actually more like his will to prepare. Apparently he just took five days off for a little vacation. If the BJ of old shows up he's is trouble. If the GSP of the last few fights shows up BJ is in big trouble regardless.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Robert Laken

Profile:

GSP looks so good right now, I think he'll dominate the fight, TKO 2nd or 3rd round.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
Michael Wengloski

Profile:

Really hoping they go deep into the fight before someone gets TKO'd.

GSP has great takedowns, BJ has great takedown defense.

GSP has awesome wrestling, BJ has awesome Jiu Jitsu.

Both are good standing, based off the last fight I'd give BJ the advantage standing, but based off of watching them fight other people I'd give it to GSP.

Like someone already started, this is going to depend on how BJ has prepared himself. The dude likes to party...
Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Brett Dartt

Profile:

did anyone watch the ufc special last night. bj is out for blood. he said "im literally prepared to go to the death. you hear that george? im going to try to kill you."
lol. i cant wait to see this fight and i hope bj wins but im not even going to try to predict it