CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Charlie Karnick

Profile:
bringing fractional plates to globo-gym

hey, I'm getting to the point in SS where im going to have to use fractional plates for microloading. I go to a globo-gym but usually whenever im there im one of the only people in the place and ive never seen anyone else using the barbells there.The smallest plates they have are 5lbs. My question is should I just sneak my own plates in and not ask anyone or should I run the risk of asking someone if its OK? If they say no they'll definitely have they're eye on me for a while. Does anyone have any personal experieneces they'd like to share?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: bringing fractional plates to globo-gym

I and my trainies use them, and our are homemaed with stock steel and a ubolt, so they stand out. THe gym gave me a little bit of hell, but I keep bringing them. Just explain what they are for, and if they say something about not bringing them in, tell them you'll stop as soon as they get some you can use.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Tom Woodward

Profile:

From my experience, it's very rare for anything less than 2 1/2 to be sold in a fitness shop. So you can either buy them online or go to Home Depot and buy a few giant washers (2" hole). Throw em on a scale after buying to be sure of the weight.

As for bringing them to the globos, never done it but i don't think any rational trainer/owner/employee should have a problem if you explain like Jamie said.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

i actually found a bunch of different ones at a Play it Again Sports
Old 12-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
John Doyle

Profile:

I find that it's usually best not to ask in situations like this. I was debating the same thing about bringing in ring to hang from the pullup bars. I am also debating purchasing some kettlebells and will have the same problem. So far it hasn't been an issue. Most of the people working at the gym when I go in aren't the ones making the rules, so they don't really question it. I have a feeling that if I asked, they would elevate the question to someone who would not allow them and then it would become an issue.

I can't imagine they would care about 2.5lbs plates though. That seems like something that you should be able to ask them to purchase on their own. That's a pretty standard piece of gym equipment. With rings, I am worried that some manager will fear them snapping and potential for injury/lawsuits. Somehow, I doubt that me explaining that I am not litigious would clear it up.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Karnick View Post
hey, I'm getting to the point in SS where im going to have to use fractional plates for microloading. I go to a globo-gym but usually whenever im there im one of the only people in the place and ive never seen anyone else using the barbells there.The smallest plates they have are 5lbs. My question is should I just sneak my own plates in and not ask anyone or should I run the risk of asking someone if its OK? If they say no they'll definitely have they're eye on me for a while. Does anyone have any personal experieneces they'd like to share?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, you started a post to ask us permission to bring micro plates into a globo gym. Get some balls dude. Better to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission. Just take the plates in. Is there really some hall monitor at this globo gym, that walks around while people are working out to make sure they don't sneak in any of their own equipment...
Old 12-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Seriously, you started a post to ask us permission to bring micro plates into a globo gym. Get some balls dude. Better to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission. Just take the plates in. Is there really some hall monitor at this globo gym, that walks around while people are working out to make sure they don't sneak in any of their own equipment...
well i was probably just gonna bring em in anyway but I just wanted to see how big of hassle (if any) it would be.

thanks for the comments everyone!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Brian and I are on the same page.. my globo gym hall monitors are busy trying to pick up *** or are making time with the *** or are busy up front working the new *** that comes in. Its not as if they are walking around the gym picking up weights off the floor or let alone inspecting what people are using. How do I know? the Sauna the other day had 3 sets of dbs, a 10 lb plate and a 35 lb plate inside. I guess working out in the sauna is the newest fitness program out there. And of course the globo staff cant be bothered to keep the place clean let alone preventing outside equipment from coming in.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Tom Woodward

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Is there really some hall monitor at this globo gym, that walks around while people are working out to make sure they don't sneak in any of their own equipment...
Possibly. If someone yanks a shoulder out of a socket on a failed MU on their own rings, they could probably sue the gym. It would be a sleazy-*** move and they might not get any money, but it may be a concern in the back of the gym owner's mind.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #10
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I bring my Kettlebell to an Army gym, no one has said no, "Just Do It"