CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-01-2002, 11:43 PM   #1
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Hi Coach, I have really enjoyed your website. I've trained a bit with Robb Wolf, who I see posts here. He introduced me to your site earlier this summer and has been reccomending it to me for quite some time. I haven't started it yet, but I have been doing a lot of kettlebell training, sprinting, olympic lifting and competetive tennis. I am now ready to start getting CrossFit. I pulled my hamstring two days ago. I could hear it pop, it sounded like a bug zapper going off and I guess it felt about that way too. I will rehab first, but I should be out there doing your workouts sometime soon. I'm looking forward to it.
Currently I'm a student at Whitman College, but I will soon be transferring to a school with a solid exercise biology program (reccomendations?), possibly UC Davis. I've been a competitive tennis player while at Whitman and have been training with Kettlebells for about a year. This summer I started up the Seattle Kettlebell Club. I will be the fourth club member to get CrossFit. I also publish a little magazine called Girevik Magazine, it's available for free online. Issue 3 came out today! www.girevikmagazine.com
Perhaps someday Coach will consider an interview in my magazine, e-mail me if you're interested. Thanks for providing this excellent site, I'll let you guys know how the training goes.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:17 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Hey Tyler! Good to see you here. Bummer about the hamstring...anything poping loudly is not a sign of good things. Talk to you soon
Robb
Old 01-03-2003, 02:50 PM   #3
SIMON R. ROBB

Profile:  
I am completely new to the cross fit workouts, and i have been thoroughly impressed. a guy named Derek who trains the local police core turned me on to this site. I am a police officer who has lifted wights and run in the past. Both of these types of specific workouts have only lead to long term repetetive type injuries. My question is this, i am planning to try out for my departments SWAT team. Part of this tryout is a gut busting obstacle couse with lots of rope climbs, monkey bars, a 12 foot wall, and other "fun" challenges. Will cross fit prepare me for this? I have done the course once and missed the time limit by one minute. Should i just continue with the workout of the day or should i add something each day. Thanks for any advice you have.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:32 PM   #4
David Werner

Profile:
Hello Simon
As a former SEAL I have some experience with o-courses. My opinion about your question is that just doing the crossfit workouts will prepare you as well as any method you could find, and far better than any method I know about.
Something else that may help is to improve your technique over each obstacle. Walk through the course when you have time to practise/analyse the path over each obstacle. You are trying to memorize the best way over/through the obstacles and to learn how to traverse the obstacles without breaking your stride. When somone gets this right they look like they run over the obstacle like it isn't really there.
After I memorized an o-course I would "practise" it several times a day by closing my eyes and thinking my way through it - every step and handhold. This resulted in suprising reductions in course times. Hope this helps.
David