CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-05-2003, 06:48 PM   #1
Jake Acre

Profile:  
Hi. New here; first post.

I've been looking for a more comprehensive training regimen, and CrossFit looks like the perfect thing. Can't wait to get started.

A quick question about the archive. I notice it's got loads of WOD's. Are these posted in the order of original appearance, from top-left, to bottom right? Put another way, could I safely work through them in that direction (Top-left to bottom-right), knowing that the order they were logged wouldn't have me overtraining specific parts of the body due to their having been stored out of order, and rest days appearing in the appropriate section, etc.?

I started clicking them at the end of the archive and working backwards, just to see what sorts of workouts there were, and noticed immediately that the first two consecutively (the last 2 in the archive) were rest days, and immediately wondered, "Is this the right order?"

Any knowledgeable info would be appreciated. Since I'm away from the net time to time for a few days, it would help to be able to print out the archive and work through that rather than having to rely on daily updates. But not worth it at the price of having screwed-up workout orders causing difficulties.

Thx.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Hi Jake! Welcome

My experience of the WOD is that things are randomized such that adding or deleting something here and there is not a problem. For example we may hit the posterior chain big time for a while by doing wirkouts w/ deadlifts, cleans, snatches, kettlebell swings...really hammer it but then the emphasis shifts. My take on this is we make some serious inroads in adaptive capacity hopefully forcing an adaptation. If one buys into the supercompensation theory it is the change in emphasis which allows the system (us) to move to a different performance level. This is a very long winded way of saying dont worry too much about over training. You will know when you need to use a workout as avtive rest and not completely tear it up. So, yes, working through the archives starting say a month ago and working forward is a great way to go. I tend to follow a few days behind so i can fit things around my capoeira. If I am equiptment limited (no pool and I HATE bike riding) I just substitute something of similar duration.

I hope this answers the questions you had...sorry if it rambled a bit!
Robb