CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Troy Knight

Profile:
I need some tips on breathing. Whenever I do cardio, especially running I cant control my breathing. The main thing is I cant breath through my nose. If I really push it I start wheezing and cant catch my breath. Should I try to take shorter shallow breaths? Thanks
Old 12-19-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Jason Boag

Profile:
You might try breathing in for a number of steps and then breathing out for the same number. I have trouble breathing through my nose as well. I breathe somewhat through my nose on the way in, and out through my mouth. Asthma used to be a problem for me, so I had an inhaler, but that slowly faded as I got older. Now, I still have some trouble breathing, but the more rhythmic I can keep it, the better.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Bill Russell

Profile:
Pay attention and see if you are keeping a tight upper body as you work out, mainly holding/clutching in your shoulders. The lower you center your energy, the better you will breath. I teach my students to keep their shoulders and arms relaxed while they spar or grapple. The ones who clutch their faces or shoulders run of gas the fastest.

I hope that makes sense and helps.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
When I am running hard, its timed with my stride. IN, IN, OUT, OUT I figure the 2nd in and out help increase tidal volume. Also it gives me something consistant which is probably more important. I am by no means a "pro" runner so YMMV.

(Message edited by paul on December 19, 2006)
Old 12-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
In long distance running, the technique of the arms and upper body was to be as soft and close as possible. There was something about it helping the chest breathe in there but that was a long time ago and I was a crappy cross country runner.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:27 AM   #6
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Wether you are breathing in from the nose or the mouth try to breath deep into the abdomen, this takes you to your natural state and will help to relax the upper body. Anybody out there that knows about qigong/chi kung may be able to explain this better but I think it runs along the lines of being in the womb and connected to the umbilical etc etc. I have found that using the qigonq techniques for my breathing when sparring allows me to relax an awful lot in the upper body while remaining rooted which is paramount in muay thai for power and explosiveness.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:50 AM   #7
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Check this method out:

http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=27

Work and family friendly