CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #21
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Re: Why you should never show off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
I actually agree. BJJ is definately up there, I just give an edge to Capoeira because of its' ridiculuos body movements.
True that.... Capoeira does some crazy acrobatics, maybe its more CFish in terms of gymnastic type movements!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:30 AM   #22
Andrew Peterson

Profile:

I trained in Capoeira for five years and Muay Thai and submission wrestling for one (I was even at the event where Mestre Espirro Mirim was doing the long handstand in his youtube video-it was at Mestre Marcelo's event in Oakland). Anyway, I would agree that the capoeira that most people see would be pretty ineffective in a real fight. However, there is a lot more to capoeira than what is shown in the movies and youtube videos. I'm not saying that I would teach capoeira movements in a self-defense class, but we have been trained-and I have seen other practice-that there are times to drop the playfulness and focus on kicks, elbows, throws, and chokes. All those are elements of capoeira that don't get seen, because it is part of the capoeira philosophy to disguise the fight as a game. I won't get into the details, but capoeira has a rich history, and there is something for everyone. If people like to fight, you can fight. If people like to dance, you can dance. If people like to flip and do acrobatics, you can do that. Like I said, I wouldn't pick capoeira for self-defense, but, honestly, how many arts really are effective in a street fight? Krav Maga? Maybe Boxing/Muay Thai and/or BJJ?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #23
Scott Ponte

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Peterson View Post
Krav Maga? Maybe Boxing/Muay Thai and/or BJJ?
Yellow Bamboo. Google it, it is probably the most HILARIOUS thing I have ever seen in regards to martial arts. These people are so insanely nuts that I can't even put it into words. You can youtube it too. Its basically a bunch of people screaming to put thier energy into worldly projections of force.

Think Dhalsm from Street Fighter. "YOGA FLAME!"
Old 08-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #24
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Peterson View Post
I trained in Capoeira for five years and Muay Thai and submission wrestling for one (I was even at the event where Mestre Espirro Mirim was doing the long handstand in his youtube video-it was at Mestre Marcelo's event in Oakland). Anyway, I would agree that the capoeira that most people see would be pretty ineffective in a real fight. However, there is a lot more to capoeira than what is shown in the movies and youtube videos. I'm not saying that I would teach capoeira movements in a self-defense class, but we have been trained-and I have seen other practice-that there are times to drop the playfulness and focus on kicks, elbows, throws, and chokes. All those are elements of capoeira that don't get seen, because it is part of the capoeira philosophy to disguise the fight as a game. I won't get into the details, but capoeira has a rich history, and there is something for everyone. If people like to fight, you can fight. If people like to dance, you can dance. If people like to flip and do acrobatics, you can do that. Like I said, I wouldn't pick capoeira for self-defense, but, honestly, how many arts really are effective in a street fight? Krav Maga? Maybe Boxing/Muay Thai and/or BJJ?
Excellent point! Basically what it comes down to is not to take any art form for granted. They all have there place. The physical conditioning factor alone that Capoeira offers gets my respect. Rather you would use it in a street fight or not is another matter. But if that was all that I had been trained in, I would certainly feel better going into a fight than if I had no formal training at all. A lot of street punks will gas out in less than 2 minutes even if you do not fully engage them. Just maintain your focus and let them burn themselves out. After that, it's party time and your knuckles, knees, kicks and elbows will be the main attraction.