CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Wrist locks, arm bars and tendinitis

Hi all- I've been struggling with elbow tendinitis for a few months now, and at this point I'm down to just forearm and tricep muscle soreness. I think however that some of the arm bars and wrist locks/throws in my MA classes are hindering my healing. Usually, it's the instructor who puts these on to the point that I think I'm getting either small tears in the muscle and/or tendon or it's just a repetitive stress that isn't helping. I know that after he puts on an armbar, my elbow can be sore for weeks.
Any tips on how to prevent this from interfering with my CF? Should I offer more resistance when these come on? I typically stay loose and either tap or do a roll out. I try to tap early, but it's just not early enough.
Thanks in advance....
Old 08-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Calin Brierley

Profile:
Re: Wrist locks, arm bars and tendinitis

i would recomend tape on the joints, and just talk to your instructor about it, and let him know whast going on. i have been instructing TKD and MA for 2 and a half years and studying for almost 10. every time one of my students was injured i always did my best to help them out, and not make it worse. most instructors will help you out they don't want you hurt as much as you don't want to be hurt.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Yeah, I would definitely make sure you're communicating with your instructor - it would be odd that they would be intentionally doing something that is harmful. Most likely they're just not aware that you're having an issue and might even have some good suggestions themselves. If your instructor doesn't have a positive reaction to you talking about the subject or continues to be too aggressive, then I would start thinking about finding a different instructor.

As far as what to do in the moment -- definitely tap early, but I also wouldn't recommend being completely "loose" - if by that you mean letting the joint get hyper extended. It's almost like doing a curl - you want to give enough resistance to keep the arm from going completely straight. That may give you the extra seconds of time you need to tap.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 08-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Thanks for the advice. There's this whole macho thing happening there, so as the only woman, it's kind of odd sometimes to say "hey-I know you're not going hard, but this is causing me problems."
Old 08-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I trained with a guy that threw hard and fast arm locks. His technique was solid and it would go on real fast. We asked him to not straighten the arm since we couldn't tap fast enough. He went just as fast, but wouldn't pull the arm and everyone was happy. Once we got better at defending, he went back to his old way of doing things , but we could adjust enough to where it didn't hurt.

He was very cool with the whole thing, he had no idea it was bothering us. The correlary is, you can't ask someone to go easier and use the slack the give you to work out of a position.

I got the advice "Tap early, tap often" from Rorian. He's pretty macho, especially with that 70's mustache

Last edited by Jamie J. Skibicki : 08-15-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Thanks for the advice. There's this whole macho thing happening there, so as the only woman, it's kind of odd sometimes to say "hey-I know you're not going hard, but this is causing me problems."
Think of it this way -- they, as guys, need your help to be educated enough in how to roll with you. Guys are simple machines when it comes to jiu-jitsu and they often don't know how to find a medium between crushing a girl and going limp and being useless. Your feedback to them willl help them learn how to roll with smaller guys as well. Try presenting it to them as a chance to work technique instead of relying on muscle.

And again, I'd try talking to your instructor as well - I've trained at a few different schools and the instructor sets the tone. If the instructor stresses technique and etiquette, the guys will follow.

The reality of girls training jiu-jitsu is this - most girls train for the wrong reason and don't stick with it. So as a new girl starting at an academy you're usually suspect and not to be trusted until you've been there for a while and proven you're not there to pick up guys and you truly want to learn. If you prove your work ethic (not your ability to withstand their bad etiquette), things will balance out if they're decent guys.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 08-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Thanks for your input. I've been at the school for quite awhile. Maybe my idea of practice and the schools' are a bit different. Maybe my joints need more stabilization so it doesn't bother them so much. Darned tendinitis for a few months has been frustrating me.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Valerie Worthington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Thanks for your input. I've been at the school for quite awhile. Maybe my idea of practice and the schools' are a bit different. Maybe my joints need more stabilization so it doesn't bother them so much. Darned tendinitis for a few months has been frustrating me.
I agree with Becca. I have gotten to the point with my (male) teammates where many of them seek me out to roll with because they can work on different aspects of their game (e.g., finesse, combinations, transitions, because they aren't fighting for their very lives), and it helps them as much as it helps me. But like she said, I had to be explicit about what was helpful and what wasn't.

Also, if you have been at your academy for a while and have developed a good rapport with the guys, I bet they'd be dismayed to learn that they are potentially hurting you. Most guys are really eager to be good training partners, but if you don't tell them what's helpful and what's harmful, there's no way for them to know.

Good luck and keep yourself healthy so you can keep training! Chick jitsu is vital to the sport, IMO. (Of course, I'm biased, as a chick myself. )