CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Ed Haywood

Profile:
WOD group in a non-affiliate gym

What are the "rules" for a non-affiliate gym promoting or encouraging the Crossfit WOD in their gym?

I've been talking to the assoc. director of the local YMCA. He has done some Crossfit and is interested in getting started again. I suggested he set a time for people to get together and do the WOD, and post a flyer on the board letting people know the time.

We're not talking about an organized class or instruction, just 5 or 6 people getting together and doing the WOD together. One person would bring the WOD on an index card; that's about as organized as it would get. The Y's role is facilitating awareness by posting a flyer on their b-board, and tolerating our activity. If it is popular, we might be able to persuade the Y to buy rings, bumper plates, etc.

He's receptive. However, as manager of the facility he is a bit concerned about not violating any of Crossfit's affiliate terms or copyright restrictions. I don't think it's an issue: viral marketing is how Crossfit exploded in the first place. Some of the people that get started in the Y will get hooked and go on to take certs or join the local affiliate, right?

So what are the rules of the road and the redlines for this sort of thing?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
Justin Lascek

Profile:
Re: WOD group in a non-affiliate gym

You should check out the Affiliation part of the FAQ. You definitely can't use the CrossFit name in anything you do. I don't know about the fliers, someone else can chime in on that. You could at least start with your small group of folks, do the workouts, and let word of mouth increase your numbers (if that's desired).

That's what happened to me. I had two groups a day going earlier this summer (morning/afternoon). That has helped me on the way to affiliation (which hasn't happened yet).
Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Eric Auciello

Profile:

Hi Ed, Your always welcome at my facility...give me a shout if you want talk? thnx E
Old 07-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Eric, we met when I visited your place a few weeks ago. I'm definitely going to get at least a punch card with you soon. But will probably stay with the Y as primary gym for family membership. It's more in line with my current budget.

The asst. director of the Campo Y is a crossfit fan. His name is Lance. He and I are going to start working out together with a couple of other interested people in the morning. If we get a group going, I'm sure it will steer people your way over time.

Suggest you talk to Lance about doing some guest PT or other arrangement at the Y. There are a lot of people there who would get hooked on crossfit if they tasted it, and then would come to you for coaching. I can link you up with him if you want.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
Eric Auciello

Profile:

Hey Ed, I remember you now hard to keep the names w/ the faces. Let me know if you want me to come in? I'd be happy to stop bye and run a WOD...as long as I can work out too If I need too touch base w/ the Y just let me know? Thnx E
Old 07-31-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Ed Haywood

Profile:

I'll talk to Lance the next time I see him, and will stop by your gym in the next week or two. Do you sell punch cards in person or only online?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
Eric Auciello

Profile:

Look forward to seeing you...you can get a punch card in person or online. Talk to you soon. thnx E
Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #8
Matthew Vassallo

Profile:

my only question is, how is posting it on a RL bulletin board any different from posting it on this internet bulletin board?? are you making money off it ? no? ok then.. what's the problem??

eric: good talking to you, I'm stopping by today i'm prtty sure!