CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-12-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Ok, here is my dilemena. Been trying to train for a 10 mile run which is in about a month. I should be approaching 6 miles now but i'm having a bit of an issue with joint soreness, IT band,etc so I had to back it off a bit.

My question is.. if I can back of the distance to just one long run per week would Tabata or other interval training 2x per week be suitable for the rest of the training ??

Thanks
Old 07-12-2006, 06:18 AM   #2
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I'm not sure what a dilemena is,:crazy:, but I have read in a couple of places that intense intervals can actually help quite a bit with endurance. Since it's only 10 miles, I bet the tabata sprints would help, and any gap remaining could be closed with pure guts.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
Kevin Burns

Profile:
I'm not worried about the cardio part per say but the ability of my legs to survive the distance.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
Lewis Dunn

Profile:
I'm sure interval training will help with the "cardio" end of your training, but running 10 miles is more than just cardio. There are muscular and skeletal adaptations that need to occur for most people to work up to that distance, and it sounds like that is where you are currently having some issues. My best advice would be to not do the 10-miler. You're not ready and are behind schedule. If you are set on doing this run in a month, and don't care that you won't be completely ready for it, I'd go ahead and toss in some intervals and reduce your total mileage. But your current soreness/injury issues would indicate it will be a painful and maybe somewhat damaging experience. I'm all for getting through tough times with "pure guts," but you may be pushing through some pain you shouldn't be ignoring.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I wasn't clear if you were doing the WOD regularly, but how's this for an idea: run 2 easy miles before and after each WOD. Your total workout time will be the run plus the WOD.

If your only goal is to finish the run, I'd say 6 miles is close enough already. Remember you can walk if you have to. I did a 13 mile run a few years ago where my longest previous run was 10. Maybe hit it hard the week before, then take it easy that week, so you actually feel like doing it.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
If you want to be able to run a 10 mile race, you should be able to do long runs of up to 15-20 miles if you wish to perform well. Hell, even training for a 5k would have long runs of 10-15 miles, and 10 miles is over 3x the distance.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:53 PM   #7
Ian Carver

Profile:
I'm with Lewis on this one. If you are concerned with intensity/cardio/endurance issues, then yes, high intensity intervals of any sort will be a huge help. But if you are worried about your legs holding up, that sounds like you are worried about hurting yourself. If that thought is in the back of your head, I'd hold off on the race and train longer so the body can catch up with the demands. There are a lot of biomechanical issues going on that your body may not be happy about. Sometimes even a tiny increase in distance or change in position can put you over the edge and lead to injuries that will take you out of the game for the long run. You know your body best, so if it's already telling you something, you may want to re-think it.

If it's simple endurance you are looking for, establish a high mileage baseline first (LSD runs) and then work on the high performance, high intensity stuff with intervals. If you do it the other way around, you will pay a price. Trust me, I know firsthand and it took me some time to recover and catch up.

Barry's idea was pretty good though, if you are committed to going forward and have the endurance baseline down already. Best of luck with whatever you decide. Take care and stay fit.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Thanks guys. You are all correct. My legs are not ready for a 10 mile run. I am gonna keep training for it as best I can and on race day if it doesn't feel right then I simple stop the running and begin happy hour a few miles early :-)