CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
James Besenyei

Profile:
Re: Rampage gets arrested

You know, I expect this type of behavior from Football, Basketball, and Baseball players, and pretty much no one else!

Rampage obviously has some issues to sort out...why in the hell would he do this? That's the question that's burning in my mind. The only reason to run from a hit & run is if you don't have insurance, even then you're better off sucking it up and sticking around. You know he's got insurance. So why? Hopefully we'll get an answer out of this one.

Pontifications: controlled substances ('roids, wiff, huss, etc.); drunk; angry; all of the above; afraid of cops; hates authority; wanted to see "what this baby can do"; bored.

Oh yeah, I second Bob's sentiments about where I'd like to see this go.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #12
Ryan Long

Profile:

Disappointing, I had developed a pretty high opinion of Rampage from TUF. He seemed to be down to earth, humble, responsible, interested in the success of his fighters. He really didn't seem like any of the negative stereotypes people expect from professional athletes. I hope he can things get turned back around. I didn't think he had his head in the fight last week...
Old 07-17-2008, 12:53 AM   #13
Yael Grauer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Benford View Post
Wow. I bet Dana's ****ed. He is very serious when it comes to hurting the image of the UFC (perfect example: kicking Jesse Taylor off of TUF this past season). We all know that Rampage has a bit of an uncontrollable temper... maybe it's back to anger management school for him?
I'm not so sure Dana actually cares--I think they just wanted the other guy to win that fight... I mean, Chris Leben missed a fight because he was in jail and nobody seemed to notice.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:38 AM   #14
Heath Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
I'm not so sure Dana actually cares--I think they just wanted the other guy to win that fight... I mean, Chris Leben missed a fight because he was in jail and nobody seemed to notice.
The fight was close for sure, but I doubt Dana influanced anyone (judges and ref included) on how to score that fight.

Things like this is why I hate when fights go to the judges. When I have a match and it goes to judges scoreing I feel like I lost or at lest that it is a complete coin toss. I have never had a fight go to decision and feel like "I've got this one in the bag". It scares me every time.

Dana wanting Forest to win had no more influance then a random fan wanting Forest to win. These fights are not fixed or even close to it.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #15
Bob Guere

Profile:

I saw a post on another site, an mma site, that quoted the judging criteria for scoring that was used for that fight. If you follow that criteria, Forrest won easily. I think he won anyway. However, it still left questions on how some of the judges came up with the scores they did for some of the rounds. This is the major contention in Rampage's camp, that the scoring, even though the outcome might not have changed, was not consistent. For that part, I have to agree that some consistency would be nice (is necessary) when a fight as big as that (or any sanctioned fight for that matter) goes to the judges for a decision.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #16
Heath Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
I saw a post on another site, an mma site, that quoted the judging criteria for scoring that was used for that fight. If you follow that criteria, Forrest won easily. I think he won anyway. However, it still left questions on how some of the judges came up with the scores they did for some of the rounds. This is the major contention in Rampage's camp, that the scoring, even though the outcome might not have changed, was not consistent. For that part, I have to agree that some consistency would be nice (is necessary) when a fight as big as that (or any sanctioned fight for that matter) goes to the judges for a decision.

I absolutely agree, I just spent a little time looking for the names of the Judges in the main event. I could not find them. The point that I was going to try to bring up is who they are using to judge these things. The Nevada Sate athletic commission has got to learn that boxing and MMA are two completely different animals.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #17
Bob Guere

Profile:

I think we're going to see a radical growth period here that will be painful in many ways. The new MMA weight classes are just the beginning. I don't agree that boxing commissions should take on MMA as an "additional duty" if that's how their doing it. MMA should be a new area that they grow separately. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #18
Shane Rapp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
Well, Chris Leben isn't as high profile so maybe that's why? I don't know. What did Leben do? I've always hated Leben anyway. lol And I don't think Rob Everson should've even been allowed to be on TUF after his gang episode and then getting in a fight again. If a guy got involved in an incident once like a bar fight or something (like Sean Sherk) I have no problem giving them the benefit of the doubt because it could easily have been some misunderstanding or some other person being a jerk. But someone doing something like Emerson beating people with his gang or getting in a high speed chase like this goes beyond that imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath Powell View Post
Things like this is why I hate when fights go to the judges. When I have a match and it goes to judges scoreing I feel like I lost or at lest that it is a complete coin toss. I have never had a fight go to decision and feel like "I've got this one in the bag". It scares me every time.
I think it's great you feel that way. That's a fighters mentality. I hate it when I hear a fighter say something like "I'm gonna wear him down" or "I'm gonna grind it out til a decision". No fighter should have the intention of doing that. If it's a war and it happens to go to a decision that's fine but when guys don't really try to finish and are happy to just stall and score little points until a decision it seems kinda cheap to me.

Quote:
Totally agree. They need a more clearly defined criteria for scoring. I think a lot of it stems from lifting too much from boxing rules.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #19
Bob Guere

Profile:
Unhappy Re: Rampage gets arrested

Oh boy... not good: (WFS)

http://www.mmanews.com/ufc/Rampage-J...By-Police.html

Last edited by Bob Guere : 07-17-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
Heath Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Jeeze........Quinton you need to just sit back relax for a few seconds.

Looks like he's not taking last weeks fight results to well...